GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Feb 2019, 08:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

February 17, 2019

February 17, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Valentine's day SALE is on! 25% off.

February 18, 2019

February 18, 2019

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

We don’t care what your relationship status this year - we love you just the way you are. AND we want you to crush the GMAT!

Marat sold his condo at a price that was 18% more than the price he pa

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Math Expert
V
Marat sold his condo at a price that was 18% more than the price he pa  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2019, 04:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

29% (02:53) correct 71% (02:57) wrong based on 21 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Marat sold his condo at a price that was 18% more than the price he paid for it. If he bought his condo at a price that was 42% less than the buyer’s $175,000 asking price, which of the following must be true?

I. The person who sold Marat the condo lost money.
II. Marat bought the condo for $101,500.
III. 36 percent of the price at which Marat sold the condo is $43,117.20.

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and III

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

SVP
SVP
G
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Marat sold his condo at a price that was 18% more than the price he pa  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 08 Feb 2019, 23:43
Bunuel wrote:
Marat sold his condo at a price that was 18% more than the price he paid for it. If he bought his condo at a price that was 42% less than the buyer’s $175,000 asking price, which of the following must be true?

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and III

Marat bought the condo @ 58% discount rate of 175,000 $ = 101500
and sold @ 18% profit = 1.18 * 101500 = 119770
36% of 119770 = 43117.2

all three are correct
IMO E

Bunuel ; why is answer D , could you please provide official solution

If you liked my solution then please give Kudos. Kudos encourage active discussions.

Originally posted by Archit3110 on 08 Feb 2019, 04:41.
Last edited by Archit3110 on 08 Feb 2019, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Marat sold his condo at a price that was 18% more than the price he pa  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2019, 05:36
IMO E but calculation took so much time.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 08 Feb 2019, 23:50
Archit3110 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and III

36% of 119770 = 43117.2

all three are correct
IMO E

Bunuel ; why is answer D , could you please provide official solution

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2019, 06:43
Hi All,

I didn't got that how The person who sold Marat the condo lost money?

There is no information provided as in for how much person has bought condo who sold it to Marat. There is provided information that he sold it with discount but not necessary that he made a loss while providing discount.

I'd appreciate learning about the grammatical errors in my posts

Please let me know if I'm wrong somewhere :-)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2019, 07:11
Bunuel wrote:

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and III

Hey, I'm just confused, how's the person selling his house to Marat being referred to as 'buyer' here?
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Feb 2019, 07:34
Point 1 says that the person who is selling the condo lost money. We don’t know at what price he was had bought it. We don’t know what the word lost stands for. Are we assuming that if the price paid is lower than the asking price then it’s said to be a loss?
This point is not clear and hence 1 doesn’t seem to be true

36% of 119770 = 43117.2

Hence the answer must be D

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
D
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 02:01
Bunuel wrote:

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and III

Hi Bunuel
I do not understand the reasoning that I must be true . Where is the info that support that claim? Maybe the buyer got the condo with $50K. Maybe he got it with $150K. What do we now that he asks for certain price.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 02:33
Bunuel wrote:

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and III

Actually all the data is given in the points itself

Marat bought the condo for $101,500, this is = 175000 - 42/100*175000.

You can use III to calculate, 18% more than the price he paid for it, they both will be same.

I) buyer’s asking price = $175,000(given)
Marat bought it at 42% less than that price

Marat observed a gain, whereas buyer who became the seller for Marat lost out on money

X bought a pen for 10$, sold it Y for 6$

Y became the buyer, whereas X became the seller

The person(X) who sold Marat(Y) the pen obviously lost money.

E

If you notice any discrepancy in my reasoning, please let me know. Lets improve together.

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 02:43
Hi KanishkM,

From your explanation I am getting is that you are trying to say the person who sold Condo to Marat lost money as he sold for less than asking price correct?

KanishkM wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. I only
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II and III

Actually all the data is given in the points itself

Marat bought the condo for $101,500, this is = 175000 - 42/100*175000.

You can use III to calculate, 18% more than the price he paid for it, they both will be same.

I) buyer’s asking price = $175,000(given)
Marat bought it at 42% less than that price

Marat observed a gain, whereas buyer who became the seller for Marat lost out on money

X bought a pen for 10$, sold it Y for 6$

Y became the buyer, whereas X became the seller

The person(X) who sold Marat(Y) the pen obviously lost money.

E

Director
Director
G
Marat sold his condo at a price that was 18% more than the price he pa  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 02:47
Gmatprep550 wrote:
Hi KanishkM,

From your explanation I am getting is that you are trying to say the person who sold Condo to Marat lost money as he sold for less than asking price correct?

Gmatprep550

Yes you are correct. I just related with a real life scenario.

I bought a house for 1200$, sold it you for 1100$, which you later sold for 1300$

So i attained a loss after selling my house at that price.

If you notice any discrepancy in my reasoning, please let me know. Lets improve together.

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

Manager
Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2019, 03:06
KanishkM wrote:
Gmatprep550 wrote:
Hi KanishkM,

Gmatprep550

Yes you are correct. I just related with a real life scenario.

I bought a house for 1200$, sold it you for 1100$, which you later sold for 1300$

So i attained a loss after selling my house at that price.

I guess asking price means for what Marat offered to buy Condo and not the seller bought the property.

Hi Bunuel could you please provide assistance in above scenario.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Marat sold his condo at a price that was 18% more than the price he pa   [#permalink] 10 Feb 2019, 03:06

Marat sold his condo at a price that was 18% more than the price he pa

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap