Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 05:00 It is currently 02 May 2024, 05:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [3]
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 2.99
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2017 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Anyone had skype interview lately? How did it go? Also, did anyone get scholarship/assistantship yet? I did read some interview experiences but none on scholarships. Please respond if anyone has got any aid. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
N/A

Originally posted by mbacrazeddude666 on 02 Mar 2015, 12:17.
Last edited by mbacrazeddude666 on 06 Mar 2015, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
nmehta3 wrote:
Got my interview invite last Friday. Will be choosing a date between March 12 - March 20.

i think 3/15 is the decision deadline, right? how does it work if you interview after the decision deadline?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Real Estate
GRE 1: Q169 V162
Send PM
Spoke with admissions, decisions will begin to be released 3/15 through 4/1.

Poe408 wrote:
nmehta3 wrote:
Got my interview invite last Friday. Will be choosing a date between March 12 - March 20.

i think 3/15 is the decision deadline, right? how does it work if you interview after the decision deadline?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
DELLE wrote:
Spoke with admissions, decisions will begin to be released 3/15 through 4/1.

Weird thing is, 3/15 is a Sunday...can anyone confirm they'll actually start calling folks on a Sunday? They'll likely start calling before that deadline also, right?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
<Vent>

I sent the office an email asking for confirmation that my application was in review for R2, because the portal lists the submission date as 1/17 (thank you, Eastern Time). Sent a couple gentle nudges too. No response. I understand they're busy, but not bothering to respond to repeated entreaties from a freaking-out-yet-polite applicant does not go down well in my book.

</Vent>
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dudey wrote:
<Vent>

I sent the office an email asking for confirmation that my application was in review for R2, because the portal lists the submission date as 1/17 (thank you, Eastern Time). Sent a couple gentle nudges too. No response. I understand they're busy, but not bothering to respond to repeated entreaties from a freaking-out-yet-polite applicant does not go down well in my book.

</Vent>

why not try calling? the admissions office has always picked up and been more than happy to speak to me when i've called.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
dudey wrote:
<Vent>

</Vent>

I can understand your frustration. I suppose that if they have sent confirmation of having received your application, that is basically saying that your "application is under review." I can't imagine they'd have your application just sitting there. :-)

Then again, you can always just call the office...that seems to work.

Have you received an interview invite? If not, they are still sending interview invites, likely through next week. I wouldn't worry about it too much just yet... :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q162 V164
Send PM
amj643 wrote:
dudey wrote:
<Vent>

</Vent>

I can understand your frustration. I suppose that if they have sent confirmation of having received your application, that is basically saying that your "application is under review." I can't imagine they'd have your application just sitting there. :-)

Then again, you can always just call the office...that seems to work.

Have you received an interview invite? If not, they are still sending interview invites, likely through next week. I wouldn't worry about it too much just yet... :-)

I think it's more the principle of the thing. It doesn't leave a good impression when a school can't be bothered to email you back. I've not had this experience with any other school that I've applied to, UCLA, UT, ASU, have all been more than helpful and have all gotten back to me expeditiously. Heck, one of the schools I applied to even offered to fast track my decisions so that I would hear from them around the same time as my other schools. It makes you feel wanted, it makes you want to go there more (or at worst, not not want to go there). At the end of the day, we're potential paying customers - yes we call ourselves students, but we are in fact 'customers'.

If you check the first page of the thread, I wrote about a similar experience I had with the school when I went to visit. Although I'm disappointed I didn't get an interview invite, in a weird sort of way I'm glad. I love LA, and I love USC, but the program appears to be in disarray from both the admissions office to the careers office, to the complete overhaul of the program a mere five years after the last overhaul.

<disappointment>

Originally posted by rbsx on 03 Mar 2015, 11:28.
Last edited by rbsx on 03 Mar 2015, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Who have you tried emailing? (have you emailed an admissions officer directly?). Every time I have emailed Kellee Scott/Elaine Padilla, I have received a prompt response. Maybe the issue is emailing the general admissions email.

Poe408 wrote:
dudey wrote:
<Vent>

</Vent>

why not try calling? the admissions office has always picked up and been more than happy to speak to me when i've called.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rbsx wrote:

I think it's more the principle of the thing. It doesn't leave a good impression when a school can't be bothered to email you back. I've not had this experience with any other school that I've applied to, UCLA, UT, ASU, have all been more than helpful and have all gotten back to me expeditiously. Heck, one of the schools I applied to even offered to fast track my decisions so that I would hear from them around the same time as my other schools. It makes you feel wanted, it makes you want to go there more (or at worst, not not want to go there). At the end of the day, we're potential paying customers - yes we call ourselves students, but we are in fact 'customers'.

If you check the first page of the thread, I wrote about a similar experience I had with the school when I went to visit. Although I'm disappointed I didn't get an interview invite, in a weird sort of way I'm glad. I love LA, and I love USC, but the program appears to be in disarray from both the admissions office to the careers office, to the complete overhaul of the program a mere five years after the last overhaul.

<disappointment>

I can understand your frustration. But I wouldn't go so far as to say that the administrative pitfalls you've experienced are reason enough to not go to a school. You're going to be engulfed for two whole years in classes. team meetings, clubs, events, trips, parties, community service, networking...and none of that has anything to do with how quickly the admissions people get back to you. This is the nature of the process, ya know? Agreed - it might not be like this at other schools, but in the end, hopefully you will make a decision about going to the school that is best for you (considering the location, network, areas of specialty, likelihood of getting employment in your area of interest, etc.) Those admin hurdles are things you won't even remember once you become a student of the school. :-)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
amj643 wrote:
rbsx wrote:

<disappointment>

I can understand your frustration. But I wouldn't go so far as to say that the administrative pitfalls you've experienced are reason enough to not go to a school. You're going to be engulfed for two whole years in classes. team meetings, clubs, events, trips, parties, community service, networking...and none of that has anything to do with how quickly the admissions people get back to you. This is the nature of the process, ya know? Agreed - it might not be like this at other schools, but in the end, hopefully you will make a decision about going to the school that is best for you (considering the location, network, areas of specialty, likelihood of getting employment in your area of interest, etc.) Those admin hurdles are things you won't even remember once you become a student of the school. :-)

Well, it is a reason to not go to a school if you've been accepted to similarly or higher ranked schools where you didn't experience those issues. I suppose that's what I'm trying to say. Moreover, in my experience bureaucratic issues never get better once you're in a school, only worse.

Anyway, I am glad for all of you who got an invite. :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rbsx wrote:

Well, it is a reason to not go to a school if you've been accepted to similarly or higher ranked schools where you didn't experience those issues. I suppose that's what I'm trying to say. Moreover, in my experience bureaucratic issues never get better once you're in a school, only worse.

Very true. Things don't get better when you're in school. But again, rankings have to matter to an applicant a lot in order to stop them from choosing the best school for them. Like, if you love L.A. and want to one day have a solid career there, there's really no better place to go than either USC or UCLA. And depending on what you want to do professionally, one school will be a better fit than the other. And none of that has anything to do with how much higher ranked UCLA is than USC. It's all in what you're looking to get out of an MBA program, IMO.

But again, that's just me. :-)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
amj643 wrote:
rbsx wrote:

Very true. Things don't get better when you're in school. But again, rankings have to matter to an applicant a lot in order to stop them from choosing the best school for them. Like, if you love L.A. and want to one day have a solid career there, there's really no better place to go than either USC or UCLA. And depending on what you want to do professionally, one school will be a better fit than the other. And none of that has anything to do with how much higher ranked UCLA is than USC. It's all in what you're looking to get out of an MBA program, IMO.

But again, that's just me. :-)

No, you're absolutely right and I'm despondent I didn't even get an interview request. I love USC, one of my high school friends here graduated from there and has done nothing but rant and raved about how much he loved it. :( He's actually flying up here to Canada with a bunch of USC guys this weekend to go skiing, and I can't really bring myself to meet with them and discuss how I didn't get an invite.

Anyway, thanks for your insight. Been feeling a bit sour towards USC recently, but your positivity makes me feel better about the school. Fingers crossed for an invite in the next week.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
yes, I did try calling, and was told to email application-specific queries. They did tell me that interview invites were still going out, though.

I guess I'm a bit sour towards USC too; really wanted to go there but hope is fading fast. Anyhoo, congratulations to those who got invites, and good luck. :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rbsx wrote:

No, you're absolutely right and I'm despondent I didn't even get an interview request. I love USC, one of my high school friends here graduated from there and has done nothing but rant and raved about how much he loved it. :( He's actually flying up here to Canada with a bunch of USC guys this weekend to go skiing, and I can't really bring myself to meet with them and discuss how I didn't get an invite.

Anyway, thanks for your insight. Been feeling a bit sour towards USC recently, but your positivity makes me feel better about the school. Fingers crossed for an invite in the next week.

Well, keep your head up. All hope is not lost - because of their inefficiency, they're still sending out interview invites, so there's still hope!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I hear ya.

I submitted my application way before the R2 deadline and have been waiting and waiting ever since. It is frustrating to not get any updates or any news about my status. If the numbers mean anything, I have a significantly above-average GMAT and GPA for USC. Considering that I was accepted to other peer, if not higher-ranked, MBA programs that I also applied to in R2, I think my story was not bad either. I plan to return to Southern California post-MBA so USC is still one of my top choices, but every day I feel more pessimistic about my chances. It's already March.

Good luck to everyone who's interviewed/interviewing!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  31   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts