Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 640 Q35 V42
GPA: 3.55
WE:Business Development (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Marshall (USC) MBA.PM Class of 2017 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
ipaq101 wrote:
maythreeone wrote:
no, i got a relatively low score on quant. so i plan to submit some more information to talk to that weakness. i also got into another program in the area with a scholarship, so i plan to write to the fact that USC is still my first choice but I'm on a timeline for deciding because I have to submit a non-refundable deposit soon for the other program.

I don't think it matters all that much what your quant score is, I didn't have such a great quant score and was admitted. I do have great work experience, including management, and a CPA license, so that might have helped.

It might have come down to your overall application, what is your background (industry, years of experience, etc.), did you write compelling essays? All that makes a big difference.

They don't dissect GMAT scores that deeply, unless you have very little work experience or your undergrad degree is in the humanities.

If you want to get off that wait-list you need to send in additional information, another solid recommendation (if that was the case), promotion (best case), plan to take more classes, etc., something to make them revisit the application.

You are in a tough spot as the other program you were accepted to starts in March, chances are that you most likely will be admitted from the wait-list very late in the admissions process if they don't have many people who commit and pay deposits by the deadlines.

Good Luck!

7 year background is in defense contracting/hi-tech. management experience and i'm in line for the VP spot in sales/marketing at my company (~$100mm annual revenue). BA in english - so almost no quant background. born/raise overseas. i guess my essays could have been stronger.

all i can do at this point is send in some supplemental info and see. if i dont hear back in time, i'm going to just withdraw my application.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
maythreeone wrote:

7 year background is in defense contracting/hi-tech. management experience and i'm in line for the VP spot in sales/marketing at my company (~$100mm annual revenue). BA in english - so almost no quant background. born/raise overseas. i guess my essays could have been stronger.

all i can do at this point is send in some supplemental info and see. if i dont hear back in time, i'm going to just withdraw my application.

Is all your experience at the same company? Even if you were to get the VP spot, it's not like being a VP at Boeing, it's being a VP at a smaller company, which is something I bet they look at. I think a lot of MBA programs look at employability after you finish the program so they can pad their job placement stats. What did you tell them you wanted to do? All that matters.

I may be completely wrong about this as well, they did waitlist you, so they see potential in you as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
ipaq101 wrote:
maythreeone wrote:

Is all your experience at the same company? Even if you were to get the VP spot, it's not like being a VP at Boeing, it's being a VP at a smaller company, which is something I bet they look at. I think a lot of MBA programs look at employability after you finish the program so they can pad their job placement stats. What did you tell them you wanted to do? All that matters.

I may be completely wrong about this as well, they did waitlist you, so they see potential in you as well.

That's not necessarily true with part time programs. Part time programs don't track employability statistics since a large number of students do it to just advance in their current company. All employment reports published by bschools only take into account full time students.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
a2darl2dan wrote:
maythreeone wrote:
no, i got a relatively low score on quant. so i plan to submit some more information to talk to that weakness. i also got into another program in the area with a scholarship, so i plan to write to the fact that USC is still my first choice but I'm on a timeline for deciding because I have to submit a non-refundable deposit soon for the other program.

Good luck. It is tough situation when there is a big non-refundable deposit required. I taught the deposits were required towards the end of the application season. Still a bit early.

When do you apply by the way? I applied 1/12/14 and still havnt heard anything from them.

When I went to the info session they said that if you applied towards the middle of the month, it could take up to a month to make a decision (based on how and when they look at applications), they said not to worry if you haven't heard from them. You might get a response any day now.

For some reason USC doesn't email you when there is a change in your application status online, I would check periodically to see if anything updated. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I might be looking too far ahead, but I'm planning to take about 2 weeks of PTO around May/June. Anyone know how many days I will need to take off for USC if I get accepted and matriculate this fall? I found on their website that there is two intensive weekends (thurs-sat) in August but was wondering if there is any more days I would need to take off. Just want to make sure I have enough PTO to cover everything.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
August 1,2,3 and August 15,16,17 is what you need to keep open.

Posted from my mobile device

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 2.9
WE:General Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hello,

Its my first post! Just submitted my app on Monday night and am already getting anxious! funny how you stress about the application and then when you are done, you end up stressing about the waiting game hah!

anyways, good luck to everyone this board with their individual apps. I am in agreement that USC has been a bit lackluster in their communication and presentation but some of their professors i had the chance to hear during information sessions and class visits were impressive enough to make up for it.

Hopefully by 2017 it will be a much more polished program, and one that I graduate from :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
I've attended information sessions at both USC and UCLA. As far as presentation and overall marketing, UCLA wins hands down. I think this is a major reason why its attracting top talent. It seems that USC.PM has some entrenched adminstration who either aren't willing to change or just don't know how. USC is a very good school and I'm glad I was admitted, but the slide in rankings over the last few years is really troubling. The value of an MBA is largley about perception, whether people like to admit it or not. The drop in applications is also a concern. The brand isn't going to sell itself. USC.PM needs its own Dylan Stafford, and a more dynamic web presence. I was told that the incoming MBA.PM class this fall is estimated to be around 200 students, 140-150 at main campus and 50-55 at OC Center. As of mid-February, I was told the total amount of applications stands at around 230.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admit80 wrote:
I've attended information sessions at both USC and UCLA. As far as presentation and overall marketing, UCLA wins hands down. I think this is a major reason why its attracting top talent. It seems that USC.PM has some entrenched adminstration who either aren't willing to change or just don't know how. USC is a very good school and I'm glad I was admitted, but the slide in rankings over the last few years is really troubling. The value of an MBA is largley about perception, whether people like to admit it or not. The drop in applications is also a concern. The brand isn't going to sell itself. USC.PM needs its own Dylan Stafford, and a more dynamic web presence. I was told that the incoming MBA.PM class this fall is estimated to be around 200 students, 140-150 at main campus and 50-55 at OC Center. As of mid-February, I was told the total amount of applications stands at around 230.

I agree with what you said. I bet that application count will increase once UCLA hands out its denies next week. I also think UCLA's application count in down, there were fewer applicants in R2 versus R1, usually there are more in R2.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I just happened to log onto the application this morning and found out they had accepted me last Friday. :-)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
a2darl2dan wrote:
I just happened to log onto the application this morning and found out they had accepted me last Friday. :-)

congrats! I was under the impression that USC called applicants when they get accepted. That's what Kellee Scott said during the info sessions I attended.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
tezman wrote:
a2darl2dan wrote:

congrats! I was under the impression that USC called applicants when they get accepted. That's what Kellee Scott said during the info sessions I attended.

I was kind of expecting that too. Unless they called my home number, which is possible since I was out of town the whole weekend and havnt checked my messages yet since I got in late last night.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
a2darl2dan wrote:

Congrats!

I was called on a Friday when I was accepted, so maybe they call once week?

Intern
Intern
Send PM
So I decided to log on to my application and I got accepted last Friday too! I checked yesterday but didn't see the note at the bottom of the page. Anyone know if they offer money for part time students?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
tezman wrote:
So I decided to log on to my application and I got accepted last Friday too! I checked yesterday but didn't see the note at the bottom of the page. Anyone know if they offer money for part time students?

They didn't offer me anything.

They might offer people with really high scores some assistance in order to get them to accept USC.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 2.9
WE:General Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
tezman wrote:

Congrats! Since the application process has gone from Rounds to rolling, can you guys say when you applied? Just want to get an idea how long you waited for.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thechosun wrote:
tezman wrote:

Congrats! Since the application process has gone from Rounds to rolling, can you guys say when you applied? Just want to get an idea how long you waited for.

I submitted my app on 2/5. I requested an official transcript from my undergrad on 2/6. My recommender didn't submit his recommendation till 2/12. I was really surprised at the quick turnaround.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts