It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 19:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA Essay Editing Services??

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [3], given: 0

GPA: 3.72
WE: Business Development (Other)
MBA Essay Editing Services?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2015, 20:26
This post received
KUDOS
I am actually surprised at the lack of reviews on essay editing services. It's probably because it has not become a part of most consulting services.
But I just wanted to start this thread and get people to compare their experiences on essay editing services.
For me, I did not want to spend $$$ on consulting services, so did the most of app preparation myself and only used editing services to improve the quality of my essays.
From my experience,

1. fxmbaconsulting: pretty slow at responding to msgs and questions. She seems to be handling all her clients by herself, and it shows that it's overwhelming for her. She is a good consultant, but expect a relatively longer turnaround time.
2. Essayedge: please save yourself time and money by staying away from essayedge.com. I was very disappointed at the level of their service. It was always a struggle to get a hold of my editor, and she had absolutely no real background in editing MBA essays. She WAS a Harvard graduate, but, for a master's degree in math or something. Basically, I don't recommend them.
3. Topadmit: Don't be fooled by its low price. I only used it for a short essay, but did not see any significant improvement or changes. After I expressed my disappointment, he made TWO minor changes and basically stopped responding. I am not sure if this was a matter of a bad editor or if this is the case for its service in entirety, but I wouldn't go back to them for another editing job.
4. Gurufi.com: I found out about gurufi.com from a med school forum, and ended up choosing "Brian" based on his popularity and reviews. I can't say enough about how happy I was when I got my essays back. I think he's almost a magician when it comes down to making your essays look much refined and stylistic without disrupting your original tone or msg. He responds to your questions very quickly, and keeps working on your essay until you are satisfied. I almost find it unfortunate for other applicants that he is not mentioned much on this forum. EVERYONE should go to Brian for essay editing. Having said that, because I have no experience with other editors on gurufi.com, my comments are only valid for Brian.

Lets get this thread going, and other ppl can comment on other editing services out there.

Kudos [?]: 11 [3], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Re: MBA Essay Editing Services?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2016, 13:38
One more vote for Brian at Gurufi!!!!
It was my very first time using essay editing service and I was very impressed by the result:)
Brian did a phenomenal job and really brought out my story. With his revision version, my essays sound so much better. He also returned his edits within the requested time frame. Highly recommended!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Schools: HBS
GPA: 3.75
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2016, 15:20
Personal MBA Coach http://www.personalmbacoach.com

I worked with Scott Edinburgh at Personal MBA Coach and I could not have been happier! Scott offers an incredible personal experience that is very hard to find. The fact that you are working with an individual and not a company cannot be emphasized enough. Don't be fooled by the big company name / support services that some larger firms have. At the end of the day you work with one person most of the time so why not work directly with an expert for the same price rather than an employee of a larger firm?

I hired a more well known name and was not satisfied as the support did not feel personalized enough and it died off as it got closer to the deadlines. I then worked with Scott and was floored by the level of support I got. While we only had a short amount of time since I contacted him late, he took the time to get to know me personally and professionally and he was the one coming up with essay topics after just a couple discussions. Scott is quite tough and it works out in the end. In a very short amount of time, we did an entire HBS application and I ultimately got in. (As well as a couple other programs too!)

With Personal MBA Coach, you get a great balance of no BS, direct and brutal feedback while at the same time you have encouraging support throughout the entire process. Whereas with the other more well-known name I felt like I was a number in the process, Scott brainstormed everything with me from start to finish. Scott is a hidden gem in the admissions consulting space and I have sent many friends to him over the years who also had great success!

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2016, 23:46
Brian from Gurufi is an amazing writer! I am not a native speaker, and Brian did an excellent job helping me tailor my essay while keeping my thoughts and ideas. Highly recommend him to anyone needs help with an essay.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 May 2016, 08:35
After reading reviews and forums, I decided to go with Brain on Gurufi as well. I was impressed with his prompt replies and competitive pricing. We agreed on a turnaround date and he delivered as promised. What I liked most about Brian was he did not undertake a massive overhaul of my essays, instead, he tightened and clarified the prose, and enhanced the storytelling at certain points. The results were two very succinct and vivid essays – I couldn’t be happier with the outcome.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2016, 22:13
Proofreading and editing services by Polished Paper can also offer feedback on the work’s level and writing and how to better enhance it. They can likewise offer assistance with particular parts of the archives by proposing extra references, if suitable and significant.

Expert Post
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 77

Farrell D Hehn: MBA
MBA Essay Editing Services?? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2016, 07:51
I offer essay editing services on an hourly basis, and clients are thrilled with my work. And gotten into top b-schools.

However, why take chances. I much rather work with clients in a comprehensive way. Each aspect of the application is weighted almost equally so you need help with all parts of the application, not just essays. Resume, LOR, application and essays are worth about the same percentage and the interview is worth as much as the GMAT.

It's so important to have an expert create a strategic plan for each application - and also help you execute. I don't believe in "high level feedback" that some clients get from top consultancies. Essay editing is a cornerstone of admissions consulting, but if the content isn't great, and strategically aligned, essay editing = putting lipstick on a pig.

I would be interested in the success rate for those who went with essay editing vs. consulting. IMO, why fool around. Don't fly to Paris to eat peanut butter sandwiches. Investing a few K's up-front to graduate with a major salary bump is totally worth it.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 77

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 20:03
Brian from Gurufi did an excellent job of taking my story and bringing it to life. Not only did he help make it concise, but he made it more powerful. He was able to interpret what I was trying to say and communicate it effortlessly. I plan to use Brian for more essays this application round. I also appreciate his commitment to turnaround times and overall level of professionalism and guarantees. Of course, it was still my own story, but he helped bring emotion that I was unable to. He was able to take my essay to the next level.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2016, 08:21
+1

Can vouch for the work of Brian over at Gurufi. I had a draft of my essay and he took the time (in the allotted two days) to revise my wording to make the text flow and tell more of a story. Without his help, my essay felt quite choppy and he linked the necessary parts to tie it all up into one package. Would recommend.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2016, 04:29
Can also vouch for Brian from Gurufi. He did not only improve my wording, he also cut down the word count by over 20% without losing the details.

Above all, he rewrote the flow of the essay so that my main message could be heard loud and clear throughout the text - all without changing my voice.

Would always use his services again.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Schools: Sloan '19
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 17:32
+1 for Brian as well. I was initially skeptical of using him, but after sending him an essay and reading over the edits, I was quite impressed. He's very good at correcting sentence flow. Will send him other essays in the future.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 39 [1], given: 29

GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 18:59
This post received
KUDOS
Almost all who voted for Brian has only one post on the forum. Looks like a marketing gimmick to me

Kudos [?]: 39 [1], given: 29

Intern
Intern

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 20:22
I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I've worked with both Brian and Christopher at Gurufi and can vouch they were both extremely patient with any questions I had about their edits in addition to the crisp writing both brought to the table.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2016, 12:05
As a hypothesis, performance of such essay support companies is not consistent - boiling down to individual, sometime anonymous, reviewers who change jobs often. So, what worked half a year ago for someone in some point of the world is not what you'd be getting from that same brand.

I plan to invest the next 5-6 weeks in essay editing for MBA applicants. Graduated from a top b-school myself (with GMAT in top 0.5% of all test takers at that time), then was involved - as a give-back-to-society responsibility - in governance and corporate development of management schools incl. MBA programs and their admissions policies, rankings & accreditations, placement support, alumni clubs, etc.
And for most talented folks with outstanding background, this would be a free editing service (e-mails + maybe, skype).
For others - whatever is the minimal cost of such one-time service in your country.

Cheers + best of luck to all applicants
Andrey

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2016, 10:50
Another one for Brian from Gurufi. I actually found out about him from this post. He does a great job with bringing your essay to life and working within the word count and is also very responsive to questions throughout the whole process. Regarding the user above who questioned the authenticity of the reviews of Brian, I think most people ( me included) make an account just to post a review because Gurufi offers a discount on your next essay if you write a review. But that just goes to show that I was impressed enough with the service that I will be going back to him for help.

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 22:53
Just wanted to add another recommendation for Brian from Gurufi.
I am applying to 8 schools in R1. That means I need to write about 14 essays...
Though I have a good idea of what to write, writing it in an effective and clear language within the word count is another difficulty in itself.

Brian helped me communicate my thoughts in a way I never thought possible. He literally transformed the essay while keeping the core content intact.

If you are under budget for hiring a full consultant but need help on the essay part, I believe this is the way to go!

I tried about 3 services and this is by far the best!

Posted from my mobile device

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 11 May 2017, 06:05
roadrunner wrote:
Almost all who voted for Brian has only one post on the forum. Looks like a marketing gimmick to me

Looks the same way to me.
Personally, my friend helped me with proofreading of my essay after I proofread it myself for a 17th time. But my another friend edited his essay here.
:?

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2017, 11:56
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Gurufi Essay editing service are the best. Real magic to my Essay !!! Highly recommended

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2017, 05:49
Excellent service and very good product”. Essay editing services especially MBA/PS/SOP are completed by experienced consultants from IVY is so splendid. TopAdmit's staffs were very professional and helpful. You can try it!!! Highly recommended :)

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2017, 01:03
I'd like to suggest this MBA Essay Writing Service.
And if you need some general tips MBA essay writing:
1. Show your accomplishments
2. Explain why you are a perfect fit
3. Discuss why you want a graduate business degree

Best of luck! 8-)

“Once we realize that imperfect understanding is the human condition, there is no shame in being wrong, only in failing to correct our mistakes.”

Re: MBA Essay Editing Services??   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2017, 01:03

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 22 posts ] 

MBA Essay Editing Services??

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap