It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 06:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

MBA or GRE + MBA..?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 349 [0], given: 139

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
MBA or GRE + MBA..? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 May 2014, 19:10
I did my graduation in Civil from a decent government college(Non-IIT) in 2012 from India(70.2%).I realized that I was not so interested in Civil & opted to work as a Research Analyst at a Local Market Research Start up firm.
My initial projects were related to my civil background(Some town planning and Slum Rehabilitation studies) but I slowly transitioned to the core Product Research,Market studies/Consulting etc in the next & a half.
To build the relevant profile & get an admit in a good US B -school was the main idea behind this switch in field.I then inquired with a consultant on my chances for Ross 15/16 with a GMAT score of 750 & the above profile.To my shock,He said I should rather work for a civil firm for a year or two more..relate my current 2 years of MR experience with civil projects and then go for an MBA or rather go for MS and then an MBA
His reasoning's were partially based on the fact that
1.US B schools pay a great weight-age to you graduation field & such an abrupt change from the same is taken in a negative sense.
2.Market Research exp in India will not provide a good platform for working on consulting assignments in US and thus I might have issues with post MBA employments
3.Very less civil guys opt for an MBA & my profile will thus stand-out among the IT people.

If this is true,I have wasted 2 precious years based on my wrong presumptions and have to start again in my core field.That I am willing to do if some expert vouches for the above facts because I do not wish to face the same situation again 2 years down the line.

To add to the above facts:
Volunteering Exp-Yes.
Extra Activities: None to mention about

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all
Don't let an extra chromosome get you down..:P

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 3

Re: MBA or GRE + MBA..? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2014, 17:24
B-schpols like to see intentional threads in your career and progressively responsible challenges, promotions, leadership etc. The key is to find your passion and be able to leverage it towards a compelling forward vision. I would think switching back to your college major industry now would be tricky unless you have a real zeal and passion for it and it ties into your post MBA vision. I see some threads in what you did in the market research and in your core field as you indicated, which may be a good way to tie it all together, especially if your post MBA vision has anything to do with governmental or municipal consulting in the area of demographics, planning, space optimization, etc etc. There is no formula, so I am surprised to hear a consultant tell you so specifically what they think adcoms will like to hear. More than anything, b-schools want to see someone who is taking life by the horns and knows where they are going and how they are going to get there. Switching courses again might damage that credibility in my view.

Bryant Michaels
Admissions Consultant

Retired Moderator
B

Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 22 May 2014, 03:11
bryantmichaels wrote:
B-schpols like to see intentional threads in your career and progressively responsible challenges, promotions, leadership etc. The key is to find your passion and be able to leverage it towards a compelling forward vision. I would think switching back to your college major industry now would be tricky unless you have a real zeal and passion for it and it ties into your post MBA vision. I see some threads in what you did in the market research and in your core field as you indicated, which may be a good way to tie it all together, especially if your post MBA vision has anything to do with governmental or municipal consulting in the area of demographics, planning, space optimization, etc etc. There is no formula, so I am surprised to hear a consultant tell you so specifically what they think adcoms will like to hear. More than anything, b-schools want to see someone who is taking life by the horns and knows where they are going and how they are going to get there. Switching courses again might damage that credibility in my view.

Thank you Bryant...I believe that I have a good story with ample reasons to tie it all together..Applying next year..ll Let u know

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all
Don't let an extra chromosome get you down..:P

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2014, 05:16
Just remember to weave a thread that makes sense. If you believe in your vision, they will too. Good luck.

Bryant Michaels
Admissions Consultant

MBA or GRE + MBA..?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap