GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 15:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 07 Apr 2018, 10:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

29% (01:07) correct 71% (01:15) wrong based on 1301 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, communicated their interpretive understanding of the texts they illustrated.

(A) Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, communicated

(B) Through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks communicated

(C) Through their manuscript illuminations, with which they meticulously embellished elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks communicated

(D) Meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations communicated

(E) Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellished them and communicated

Originally posted by vishu1414 on 12 Dec 2012, 18:20.
Last edited by hazelnut on 07 Apr 2018, 10:28, edited 3 times in total.
Posted Correct Question
Most Helpful Community Reply
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2013, 15:04
maaadhu wrote:
Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, communicated their interpretive understanding of the texts they illustrated.

A)Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy
B)Through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks
C)Through their manuscript illuminations, with which they meticulously embellished elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks
D) Meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations
E)Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellished them and

If OA is C, then as per my understanding OA is incorrect because of placement of comma. There is a comma after "elaborate calligraphy" and that comma is missing in all of the answer choices. This means comma is not part of "Sentence Correction" and the sentence reads as

-------------------------------------------------- , communicated their interpretive understanding of the texts they illustrated.

Now lets fit in choice C in the blank.

Through their manuscript illuminations, with which they meticulously embellished elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks , communicated their interpretive understanding of the texts they illustrated.

In choice C, the main subject "medieval monks" becomes non essential. On this basis I rejected C.

Experts can weigh in here.

hi,

correct question is as follows:

A) Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, communicated

B) Through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks communicated

C) Through their manuscript illuminations, with which they meticulously embellished elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks communicated

D) Meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations communicated

E) Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellished them and communicated

The core of the sentence here is "monks communicated." The other pieces are modifying: "through their manuscript illuminations" tells us how they communicated, as does "meticulously embellishing." Because they're telling us how, these are both adverbial modifiers.

The problem, though, is that we can't stack two modifiers in a row if they're modifying the same thing. Effectively, what we have is:
Subject, adverbial modifier, adverbial modifier, verb...
We need to conjoin these modifiers (if they're modifying the same thing), or change one of them to modify something else.

A) Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, communicated
Two adverbial modifiers modifying the same thing.

B) Through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks communicated
Same issue here - the modifiers were simply moved to the beginning of the sentence, but it's still two adverbial modifiers modifying the same thing.

C) Through their manuscript illuminations, with which they meticulously embellished elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks communicated
Here, the idea of "embellishing" has been changed. The "with which" tells us that this is now modifying the word that came before it: "illuminations." It's a modifier nested within another modifier - in other words, they're modifying two different things. CORRECT

D) Meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations communicated
Here, the modifiers aren't directly in a row, but they're still both adverbial modifiers trying to modify the same thing.

E) Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellished them and communicated
This sentence now makes "embellished" a verb rather than a modifier. This fixes the modifier issue, but it changes the meaning. "Embellished" and "communicated" are not parallel ideas.
Furthermore, the use of "them" is incorrect. We can't use "their" to refer to monks and "them" to refer to the manuscripts in the same sentence.

hope it helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GPA: 3
Re: Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2012, 23:55
vishu1414 wrote:

A)Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy
B)Through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks
C)Through their manuscript illuminations, with which they meticulously embellished elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks
D) Meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations
E)Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellished them and

Oh i went with B.. later found i'm wrong

C and B seems to give same logical meaning IMO....
can anyone comment on this???

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2012, 19:50
Explanation as per Source -
Correct answer: (C)

In the original sentence, the subject “medieval monks” is separated from the main verb “communicated” by two modifiers (“through their manuscript illuminations” and “meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy”). This would only be a Second-Tier error—a question of precision and style—were it not for the Verb Form error: “embellishing” should not be in the present continuous tense because it should agree with “communicated.” Answer (B) puts the sentence elements in a more logical order, joining “medieval monks” to “communicated” more closely, but it retains the Verb Form error.
Answer (C) is correct because “Through their manuscript illuminations” modifies “medieval monks” even though the two elements are separated by “with which they meticulously embellished elaborate calligraphy,” which now grammatically modifies “illuminations” instead of “monks.” This clarifies the relationships between the sentence elements and reunites the sentence’s main subject and main verb with each other.

Now the question is - Do we follow this style of "remote modification " as in C?
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2013, 22:46
maaadhu wrote:

If OA is C, then as per my understanding OA is incorrect because of placement of comma. There is a comma after "elaborate calligraphy" and that comma is missing in all of the answer choices. This means comma is not part of "Sentence Correction" and the sentence reads as

-------------------------------------------------- , communicated their interpretive understanding of the texts they illustrated.

Now lets fit in choice C in the blank.

Through their manuscript illuminations, with which they meticulously embellished elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks , communicated their interpretive understanding of the texts they illustrated.

In choice C, the main subject "medieval monks" becomes non essential. On this basis I rejected C.

Experts can weigh in here.

I think that this should be C
Through their manuscript illuminations, with which they meticulously embellished elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks communicated their interpretive understanding of the texts they illustrated.
[note that there is no comma between "monks communicated"]

And yes, you're correct in your understanding because you cannot place a comma between a subject and its verb.

If C has the comma

The last part technically is a comma + ED modifer, hence modifies the preceding noun, so C is not a sentence at all because it lacks a verb. If you remove the comma, the sentence is fine.

Hope it helps!

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V30
GPA: 3.71
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2013, 02:48
This is how i interpreted the option B

B) Through quality A, quality B, monks did something.

here both the phrases in red and green are modifying the monks, which is wrong

he quality B should be corresponding to/modifying quality A

hence B is wrong.

I went for C
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2015, 22:05
can anyone explain this in details?
especially option (C) vs. (D)

My thought process:
After reading all options everything looked the same. I went back to the first one, and I concluded that 'meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy' was also something which monk did with the manuscript
(A) Unclear how monk meticulously embellished the elaborate calligraphy - two modifiers placed next to each other
(B) same as (A)
(C) Clears our doubt as elaborate calligraphy was done by the manuscripts. Even though two modifiers are placed next to each other, their relationship is clearly defined by 'with which'
(D) Separates the two modifier and hence a strong contender. When compared to (C), its easy to understand that calligraphy is not task by itself it was done using the manuscript somehow. Also, unclear placement of commas
(E) Completely incorrect as calligraphy is gone now and manuscripts are embellished
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
P

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2015, 23:14
b2bt wrote:
can anyone explain this in details?
especially option (C) vs. (D)

My thought process:
After reading all options everything looked the same. I went back to the first one, and I concluded that 'meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy' was also something which monk did with the manuscript
(A) Unclear how monk meticulously embellished the elaborate calligraphy - two modifiers placed next to each other
(B) same as (A)
(C) Clears our doubt as elaborate calligraphy was done by the manuscripts. Even though two modifiers are placed next to each other, their relationship is clearly defined by 'with which'
(D) Separates the two modifier and hence a strong contender. When compared to (C), its easy to understand that calligraphy is not task by itself it was done using the manuscript somehow. Also, unclear placement of commas
(E) Completely incorrect as calligraphy is gone now and manuscripts are embellished

Manuscript illuminations are small illustrations (borders, pictures, letter decorations) that were done to increase the value of the manuscript (an original handwritten document).

The monks embellished calligraphy with illuminations e.g. gold dots on first letters, silver underlining of important people names etc.
So the gist of the sentence is "Through their manuscript illuminations, medieval monks communicated their understanding of the texts."

(C) clearly states the message:

Through their manuscript illuminations, with which they meticulously embellished elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks communicated ...

Since the monks embellished the calligraphy with illuminations, this option clarifies the role of each part of the sentence.

(D) Meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations communicated ...
Here, the meaning of the sentence is lost.

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2015, 04:42
vishu1414 wrote:

we do not need to understand meaning of choice a and b to eliminate them but we need to do so for choic c,d,e to find oa

because we need to understand meaning to solve c,d,e, new words is fatal . this case disadvantage non native.

honestly, I do not know meanning of new words clligraphy, but I guess calliphy should relate photo and illumination should relate illumination. with this thinking in mind, I choose c, the oa

if gmat, an international test uses many new words which is not neccessarry, it disadvantage foreign students.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2015, 04:47
The point here is that when a present participial modifier( verb+ing) starts a sentence, it modifies the following subject by virtue of its being an adjectival modifier. However, if the verb+ing modifier is placed in the middle of a sentence, it can modify only a previous clause. If there is no clause before the modifier and if there is only a phrase, then it may not modify the phrase. In A, and B, there is no clause with an authentic verb for the modifier to modify. Hence, they are out of the reckoning; In E, we have no clear referent for the pronoun ‘them’. In addition, ‘embellished’ and ‘communicated’ are not two separate, equal functions. So both cannot be tensed; the core function ‘communicated’ has to be tensed and the ‘embellishing’ has to be participled.

In D, The verb is far removed from the subject monks and hence is inferior to the more dynamic C although it is hard to explain whether such a hair - split is substantive enough to reject a choice.

The final choice may be C with a pinch of salt.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2015, 18:34
daagh wrote:
The point here is that when a present participial modifier( verb+ing) starts a sentence, it modifies the following subject by virtue of its being an adjectival modifier. However, if the verb+ing modifier is placed in the middle of a sentence, it can modify only a previous clause. If there is no clause before the modifier and if there is only a phrase, then it may not modify the phrase. In A, and B, there is no clause with an authentic verb for the modifier to modify. Hence, they are out of the reckoning; In E, we have no clear referent for the pronoun ‘them’. In addition, ‘embellished’ and ‘communicated’ are not two separate, equal functions. So both cannot be tensed; the core function ‘communicated’ has to be tensed and the ‘embellishing’ has to be participled.

In D, The verb is far removed from the subject monks and hence is inferior to the more dynamic C although it is hard to explain whether such a hair - split is substantive enough to reject a choice.

The final choice may be C with a pinch of salt.

Hi,

As per my understanding comma in the middle is not underlined. So I read the core sentence of option C after masking the modifiers, it looks something like this:

C. Through their manuscript illuminations, with which they meticulously embellished elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks , communicated their interpretive understanding of the texts they illustrated.

This is a fragment with just the subject Medieval Monks because of the comma between monk and communicated.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance!
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2015, 20:28
Neeraj
Hi

This is a simulated version of the OG question, OG 13 -- Q no 104.
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,
(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations
(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and

When you cross-check the transcription of the underlined portion with choice A that is supposed to be the same as in the text, we can see that the comma is underlined.

But for some strange reason, the comma after calligraphy has been omitted from the Veritas question.
This must be a typo, maybe by oversight. This is the root of confusion, as I see.

A kudos to you for your keen eye.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V36
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V39
GPA: 3.28

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2016, 16:55
In the original post, if the comma is taken out of the SC, isn't option D. more correct, I see in a reply afterwards that they are changing the commas and underlined part and it now does not seem as good as an answer, nevertheless it was tricky with the form of the original post, I would like to know why (in the original post) is not correct?

Also for answer C. isn't it supposed to be incorrect to use a pronoun before the noun is mentioned? such as in "with which they meticulously embellished elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks communicated..."

Thank you very much for your help.
Director
Director
B
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2016, 22:13
Top Contributor
vishu1414 wrote:

A)Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy ........>Meaning error
B)Through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks .........>modifier errror,incorrectly modifying "medival monks"
C)Through their manuscript illuminations, with which they meticulously embellished elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks .......>Correct,
D) Meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks,through their manuscript illuminations .........>Modifier error leading to meanng error[/color]
E)Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellished them and ............>Changed the meaning

Md. Abdur Rakib

Please Press +1 Kudos,If it helps
Sentence Correction-Collection of Ron Purewal's "elliptical construction/analogies" for SC Challenges

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2016, 22:21
i dont think that gmat will test this kind of question.
sc test meaning. this mean we have to understand the meaning of each phrase to know which phrase modify which phrase. but if the meaning of a phrase is too specialist which is understood only by a specialist, no one can understand the meaning of that phrase. and so, no one can solve that sc problem.

this sentence require a deep specialist understanding of a phrase. so, on ly a few students can solve this one.

to make a sc harder, gmat can present the scenario in which meaning of each phrase is easy but the combination of the meanings is hard. we do not know which meaning modifies which meaning.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2016, 23:39
What specialist knowledge are you referring to? The meaning of the word "illuminations" in this context? That's a fairly widely-known meaning and could certainly be fair game on the GMAT. Furthermore, we can solve this using our grammar knowledge without knowing what an illumination is.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2017, 07:12
spetznaz wrote:
Can you please mention the source of the question ? Moreover, is communicated part of the underlined portion ?

"Communicated" is not a part of the underlined portion.

Subject of main clause: Medieval monks
Verb of main clause: communicated

{Note: Please feel free to use the "Request expert reply" button in case you need your query to be responded by one of the verbal experts. You will find the button at the bottom of the first post (the question) }
SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2017, 10:48
spetznaz wrote:
Can you please explain the error in option A ?

Option A: Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, communicated their interpretive understanding of the texts they illustrated. - the phrase 'meticulously embellishing.....' incorrectly modifies manuscript illuminations.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2017, 20:48
In option D, two modifiers Meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy and through their manuscript illuminations are separated by the subject medieval monks. I think this sentence is good and don't know why D is wrong?

Please elaborate on option D!

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 12:28
Okay, so here's the sentence according to D:

Meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy, medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, communicated their interpretive understanding of the texts they illustrated.

Is there a rule that we can't have two adverbial modifiers in a row (separated or not)? No, but it often causes trouble when we try! Sometimes it makes the intended meaning unclear, and sometimes it just keeps us waiting too long to get to the main clause. In this case, we have an additional adverbial modifier inserted between the subject (monks) and the verb (communicated). This isn't always wrong, but it's an advanced move that one should typically avoid, and it's generally going to work out badly on SC.

Normally, we'd fix this by placing the modifier before or after the action. In this case, since the clause ends in a long modifier, placing "through their manuscript illuminations" before the clause makes the most sense. The problem is that we have another modifier there. If we start with "Meticulously embellishing . . . , through their manuscript illuminations," by the time the reader gets through all that they are just dying to know the subject! For a similar "traffic jam," look at answer choice E of the Stella Adler problem. (E is also wrong for other modifier-related reasons.) https://gmatclub.com/forum/as-an-actres ... 20808.html

So what do we do? Typically, the GMAT will solve this problem by converting one of the modifiers to something else. The right answer of the Stella Adler problem takes one of those adverbial modifiers and puts it into the main clause. The monks problem takes what was an adverbial modifier in A/B/D and turns it into a noun modifier that builds on the initial adverbial modifier. This is not the most elegant solution (C is still fairly bad writing), but it helps to solve the problem.

Another problem with D is that it opens with "Meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy." It makes it seem as if there is some existing calligraphy that we're already supposed to know about. To avoid this, we can ditch the article ("the"), as C does, or we can add something after "calligraphy" (e.g. "Meticulously embellishing the elaborate calligraphy in their manuscripts, medieval monks . . . ").

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Re: Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously &nbs [#permalink] 10 Apr 2017, 12:28

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 26 posts ] 

Medieval monks, through their manuscript illuminations, meticulously

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap