Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:27 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619154 [60]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20717 [20]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619154 [17]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Mel and Nora share a total of three red marbles, two green marbles, an [#permalink]
Kudos
Let's try this one.

Number of ways we can divide the Red marbles: MMM, MMN, MNN, NNN --> 4 ways
Number of ways we can divide the Green marbles: MM, MN, NN --> 3 ways
Number of ways we can divide the Blue marble: M or N --> 2 ways

Total number of ways: 4*3*2 = 24

C for me!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [7]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Mel and Nora share a total of three red marbles, two green marbles, an [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Identical objects division into r no of people is given n+r-1Cr-1 or by |000 00 0 {one separator(means two people or two sub groups or two divisions) and 6 identical objects}
Lets break this into smaller chunks
1 division of 3 identical red marbles within two people. |ooo ----> This can be done in 4!/3! ways = 4 ways
2 division of 2 identical green marbles within two people. |oo ----> This can be done in 3!/2! ways = 3 ways
3 division of 1 green marble within two people. This is the easiest,it can be with either Nora or Med. So only two possibilities.

Required =1*2*3 = 4*3*2 = 24
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9247 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
hD13 wrote:

Why isn't this?

RRRGGB|
Arranging of the above temrs?
Which will b
7!/3!*2!
What's happening :(

You might imagine some rearrangements you'd be producing that way, and think of what they mean in the context of this question. For example, you might get this arrangement:

RGR | RGB

which would mean "Mel gets red, green and red marbles" and Nora gets the rest. But when you count arrangements as you're doing, you'll get a different arrangement that looks like this:

GRR | BGR

which means "Mel gets green, red and red marbles" and Nora gets the rest. But that's the same situation we counted a minute ago, and we don't want to count it again.

When you arrange letters to make a word, you're automatically assuming order is important, because the only thing that makes one word different from another that uses the same letters is the order those letters are in. In this problem, we aren't handing out marbles to the people in order, so we don't want to count as if order is important. When you do, you end up inadvertently double-counting dozens of things, and you'll get an answer that is much too large.

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64931 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Niveditha28 wrote:
Bunuel VeritasKarishma I took 6 marbles in total and worked with the cases (0 ,6) ,(1,5), (2, 4) , (3 ,3) .This way I was getting 74 as total no. of ways marbles can be distributed

Please correct me why this logic is incorrect. Why does the color of the marble matter when we are distributing marbles between two people?

When we say that there are 3 red marbles, the 3 marbles are identical. So if Mel gets 1 red marble. it doesn't matter which one it is.

Even if you use the cases
(0 ,6) - 2 ways (Mel or Nora gets 0)
(1,5) - 3 ways in which 1 marble can be chosen (red/green/blue) and given to either Mel or Nora. 6 ways
(2, 4) - 2 ways of choosing same color marbles and 3 ways of choosing different color marbles. Giving 2 to either Mel or Nora. Total 10 ways
(3 ,3) - 1 way of choosing all same colour, 2 ways of choosing two marbles of same colour * 2 for the second color, 1 way of choosing all three different color marbles. Total 6 ways

In all, 24 ways.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64931 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Niveditha28 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Niveditha28 wrote:
Bunuel VeritasKarishma I took 6 marbles in total and worked with the cases (0 ,6) ,(1,5), (2, 4) , (3 ,3) .This way I was getting 74 as total no. of ways marbles can be distributed

Please correct me why this logic is incorrect. Why does the color of the marble matter when we are distributing marbles between two people?

When we say that there are 3 red marbles, the 3 marbles are identical. So if Mel gets 1 red marble. it doesn't matter which one it is.

(1,5) - 3 ways in which 1 marble can be chosen (red/green/blue) and given to either Mel or Nora. 6 ways
(2, 4) - 2 ways of choosing same color marbles and 3 ways of choosing different color marbles. Giving 2 to either Mel or Nora. Total 10 ways
(3 ,3) - 1 way of choosing all same colour, 2 ways of choosing two marbles of same colour * 2 for the second color, 1 way of choosing all three different color marbles. Total 6 ways

Please guide me with right approach to solve such questions
In all, 24 ways.

VeritasKarishma while i understand the logic you explained above , I'm still not clear why my approach is wrong . I used the combinations route of solving. The balls can be divided in 4 different combinations as listed below:

(0,6) or (6,0) - 6C6 *( 2 ways ) = 2
(1,5) or ( 5 ,1) - 6C1 *5C5 * (2 ways) =12
(2,4) or (4 , 2) - 6C2 * 4C4 * 2 ways=30
(3,3) - only 1 way - 6C3*3C3 = 20
all 4 combinations sum up to 64 .

Niveditha28 - Think about what this means.

What is (0, 6) or (6, 0) - These are the 2 ways in which all 6 marbles go to either Mel or Nora.

(1,5) or ( 5 ,1)
The number of ways in 1 marble goes to Mel or Nora. Can you do 6C1 here? What does 6C1 represent? The number of ways in which you can select 1 out of 6 distinct objects. Do we have 6 distinct objects? No. We can 3 identical, 2 identical and 1 other. So we can select 1 object in only 3 ways. When you pick a red marble, is it any different from the other 2 red marbles? No.
Similarly, you cannot use 6C2 and 6C3.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Does anyone have more problems like this? (i.e.: with two possible framings, of which one has a much simpler math)

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Mel and Nora share a total of three red marbles, two green marbles, and one blue marble. In how many ways can Mel and Nora divide the marbles between themselves, if it is not necessary for each of them to get at least one marble?

A. 6
B. 18
C. 24
D. 36
E. 72

Why isn't this?

RRRGGB|
Arranging of the above temrs?
Which will b
7!/3!*2!
What's happening :(

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
Send PM
Mel and Nora share a total of three red marbles, two green marbles, an [#permalink]

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Mel and Nora share a total of three red marbles, two green marbles, an [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Niveditha28 wrote:

Please guide me with right approach to solve such questions
In all, 24 ways.

VeritasKarishma while i understand the logic you explained above , I'm still not clear why my approach is wrong . I used the combinations route of solving. The balls can be divided in 4 different combinations as listed below:

(1,5) or ( 5 ,1) - 6C1 *5C5 * (2 ways) =12
(2,4) or (4 , 2) - 6C2 * 4C4 * 2 ways=30
(3,3) - only 1 way - 6C3*3C3 = 20
all 4 combinations sum up to 64 .
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VeritasKarishma thank you for the explanation.I now understand where i faltered.

Questions on identical/distinct items are quite confusing.
Any question set on such topics will greatly help

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64931 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Niveditha28 wrote:
VeritasKarishma thank you for the explanation.I now understand where i faltered.

-

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 30 Sep 2021, 22:06.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 05 Dec 2023, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Niveditha28 wrote:

Niveditha28 - Check these posts:

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/1 ... cs-part-1/
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/1 ... s-part-ii/

Hello. I used a method from on of your tutorials on combinatorics. The first marble has 2 choices it can go to (Nora and Mel) the second also has 2 and so on and so forth. But 2^5 isn’t an answer. Where am I going wrong?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92929 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts