Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which college should I pick

100% [4]
0% [0]
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Mendoza (full tuition waiver) vs Broad (fellowship + GA) for Consultin [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
If you are looking at Consulting, Notre Dame is the only choice. Broad sends 3 people every year into consulting. (5% and Mendoza more along the lines of 20% - that's about average for top 20). As to going into SCM, you will be the lower tier on the SCM totem pole since you don't have work experience and you are an international applicant that requires a work permit.

P.S. I think when people hear "Michigan" and "MBA" they think about University of Michigan (Ross) vs. MSU. When they realize it is not Ross, it will be a let down :-) Kind of like UPenn and Penn State. Very similar name but very different business schools.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Send PM
Re: Mendoza (full tuition waiver) vs Broad (fellowship + GA) for Consultin [#permalink]
Kudos
I almost agree with bb about the information above and consulting stats for both schools and confusion about Michigan (Ross) and Michigan (Eli Broad). I can recall the same for Ohio.

However, I will provide another perspective in case joining Broad. While it is almost true that other student with SC experience would be competitive compared to you, it is not impossible either. I have an Indian friend who had 7 years electrical engineering and joined Moore business school in the US (lower than Broad by far) and landed a job in SC in Honeywell in TX. You still can make it but clearly you need to work hard to earn it. Broad program can build your supply chain knowledge quickly and comprehensively. In supply chain circulation which I belong to, Broad (NOT Ross) has one of the best and biggest supply chain staff and curriculum. I assured that when I communicated with 3 different professors in details about the curriculum. Broad can provide you with mentor from veteran in the industry as I remember. You can take it further step to link supply chain & IT. There are supply chain technology courses which can open new paths to you. Also, you can utilize your IT experience with new supply chain to come up with new projects. There are consulting companies who are interested in both experience such as Accenture and Deloitte and sourcing companies.

You can still have Mendoza, Owen & Olin (if offered). They could help you to join consulting in different degree and locations.

Good luck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 87
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
Send PM
Kudos
Definitely Mendoza without question. Congrats on the full ride!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I also now have an admit from Owen with a 100% tuition waiver (and have an amazingly positive vibe after my Olin interview). Though Owen is a very tempting option, especially with their employment outcomes for internationals, I think I should stick with Mendoza. I really liked what i've heard from current students as well as alumni. It also makes sense for me since I will be moving with family and ND has a wonderful campus, with a dedicated apartment complex for students with families.

I'd still like to hear any reasons Owen would beat Mendoza hands down though. Its maddening to decide to pick between two equally good schools.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 87
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
Send PM
Mendoza (full tuition waiver) vs Broad (fellowship + GA) for Consultin [#permalink]
Kudos
burgeoning I believe that Mendoza and Owen are very similar in terms of outcomes and what they offer you. I realize that you are international, but if you have a chance to visit both schools, I believe that will help. It should come down to culture, fit, and your desired career choice between those schools. Mendoza probably has a stronger MBA brand and network in the US. Owen MBA is not as strong, but the Vanderbilt name does carry some prestige. There is also a pretty big difference in culture between Chicago (a likely place for you to wind up after Mendoza) and the Southern US.

Your predicament is quite a good one to have. Good luck!!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I agree in terms of Mendoza and Owen being on par. Both are not huge powerhouses but their undergrad schools carry a good name recognition and these are up and coming programs. No wrong choice between the two.

As said it would help to visit both and see if you like more urban Nashville vibe vs. Notre Dame. It is a tough choice. Congrats! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk App
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks bb, PugLyfe, Mo2men

How does Olin measure up? If they make a similar offer, should i reconsider Mendoza or is ND a strong enough brand to score a win for Mendoza?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
burgeoning wrote:

How does Olin measure up? If they make a similar offer, should i reconsider Mendoza or is ND a strong enough brand to score a win for Mendoza?

I would say get in first and then we can debate about it :wink:
US news is supposed to have fresh data in a few days - that will help with splitting hairs of these two programs.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Send PM
burgeoning wrote:

Slow down my friend. You are so rush. You have pretty nice schools on hand. Think of them first. Then if admit in Olin, we can discuss later.

good luck
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts