Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Schools: Owen '21
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Re: Mendoza (full) vs Fisher (full) vs Kelley (50%) vs UNC KF (nill) [#permalink]
Go with Kelley. It's a great school and places internationals well.

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: Mendoza (full) vs Fisher (full) vs Kelley (50%) vs UNC KF (nill) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hey Abhigyanashakuntalam ,

Congratulations on so many admits. :)

My vote goes for Kelley. :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [0]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Top Contributor
My 2 cents,

Most people would choose Kelley. I guess STEM does add additional points. In this circumstances, I would choose Mendoza. Job market in the US for all international especially Indians is tough. So if something goes wrong, you still have 2 extra years to find a job. But since Kelley only offers 50% and not a STEM, you have start finding the job sooner.

Sorry to be negative for below statement. Since we have to plan for Worst Case scenario as well,
- Even if you don't find a job even after 3 years of OPT after ND, you can still return to India and find Job. since you will either have very minimum debt or no debt since its full tuition + Fellowship. Many employers know about the ND and Mendoza.

So whichever program you choose, best of luck to you!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [1]
Given Kudos: 608
Send PM
Bookmarks
Abhigyanashakuntalam wrote:
Hello all,
I am a structural engineer from India with a background in engineering and operation consulting for heavy engineering projects. Post-MBA, I look forward to transition to Operations Consulting or full-time Operation management / Program Management / Project management roles.
Being from core engineering, I was not too sure about the strength of my profile. Hence, I'd applied to a bunch of schools and thankfully I've received multiple admits. Due to my inability to invest a huge sum of money, I had to decline offers from UT Austin (with 25%) and USC Marshall (with 50%). I am currently evaluating the following, I will highly appreciate your opinion:
1) Fisher - full scholarship + money (GA)
2) Mendoza - full scholarship + money (Fellowship) - MBA+MSBA dual degree (STEM)
3) Broad - full schol

I have also received admits from
a) Kelley (schol + GA = ~50% of expenses)
b) UNC Kenan Flagler (no scholarship, asked to wait for fellowships - highly improbable :roll: )

I am waiting to hear back from the following schools in March end
i) Georgetown McDonough
ii) UCLA
iii) Foster

Thanks!

I think it has to between Kelley and Mendoza. You have to decide, do you want a better school in Kelley(with 50% but only 1 year in OPT) or Mendoza(decent school with FULL scholarship and 3 years OPT)?. This is a tough decision, but given the tough time internationals are facing, I would go with Mendoza. No education loan+ you will most certainly have a job in 3 years. Best of Luck
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3131 [1]
Given Kudos: 893
GRE 1: Q169 V154
Send PM
Mendoza (full) vs Fisher (full) vs Kelley (50%) vs UNC KF (nill) [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Abhigyanashakuntalam

Congratulations on securing so many admits. One heck of job there pal. I totally understand the fact that for some of us, finances are a HUGE part of it all. Now, lets look at your main two options -

Option 1) You have a full scholarship at Mendoza which would be a STEM MBA. Huge advantage. ND's MBA+MSBA only has 25 students with an average GMAT of 720 and other crazy stats.
Option 2)The second choice could have been NON-STEM Kelley MBA. IUB is awesome. The quality of education is second to none. Plus the Kelley brand tends to stick throughout life.

Before I strongly vote Mendoza, have you tried negotiating your offer with Kelley? If not, get on the phone and try that. It would get very interesting if they match the ND's offer. Else, given that money is the main driving force in here, you really would have no choice but to go with Mendoza.

Let us know how it goes with the other admits.

P.S -> I absolutely love Notre Dame and I think its one of the best schools around. So, my views might be biased. :cool:
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [2]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Kudos
Abhigyanashakuntalam wrote:
Hello all,
I am a structural engineer from India with a background in engineering and operation consulting for heavy engineering projects. Post-MBA, I look forward to transition to Operations Consulting or full-time Operation management / Program Management / Project management roles.
Being from core engineering, I was not too sure about the strength of my profile. Hence, I'd applied to a bunch of schools and thankfully I've received multiple admits. Due to my inability to invest a huge sum of money, I had to decline offers from UT Austin (with 25%) and USC Marshall (with 50%). I am currently evaluating the following, I will highly appreciate your opinion:
1) Fisher - full scholarship + money (GA)
2) Mendoza - full scholarship + money (Fellowship) - MBA+MSBA dual degree (STEM)
3) Broad - full schol

I have also received admits from
a) Kelley (schol + GA = ~50% of expenses)
b) UNC Kenan Flagler (no scholarship, asked to wait for fellowships - highly improbable :roll: )

I am waiting to hear back from the following schools in March end
i) Georgetown McDonough
ii) UCLA
iii) Foster

Thanks!

Congrats for all those wonderful admit.

I totally support Gnpth in his analysis. I would choose Mondoza. The STEM master in BA is huge plus. it is not only about the timing to search for the job but importantly it is on demand job. Your huge experience in operation, compounded in with MBA and BA, is a plus. You need to work closely with ND. I hear about the alumni loyalty o help each other for job hunting.

Good luck

Update: I just found a review of a Mendoza student who study MBA + MSBA):
https://gmatclub.com/reviews/comments/m ... -345355226

Originally posted by Mo2men on 16 Mar 2018, 15:40.
Last edited by Mo2men on 18 Mar 2018, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72891 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I am sorry I don’t see Kelley being a powerhouse.... I don’t know why it is ranked as high as it is. Looking at their numbers it really does not stand out much past USC or Owen.

I feel Fisher and Mendoza are close together. I have a slight preference for the ND than Buck eyes and the class size is bigger and brand a bit sexier, Notre Dame. But there may be reasons to head one way vs another.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Send PM
Thank you for all your inputs.
I recently received admits from McDonough and Foster.. but the scholarships are too low, and hence I have decided against joining their program.
As of now, Fisher seems like a good option given my experience and interest in operations and SCM and I am still evaluating ND's dual degree and connecting with students..
The Three year OPT really helps but only if you get a job.. It would have been a no-brainer to join Notre Dame had I done something in Finance in the past.. The lack of options for campus recruitment in non-finance roles in Mendoza is really making me think... I will also try to negotiate with Kelley as stonecold pointed out.. let's see where this ball rolls..
Thank you once again!!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [0]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Top Contributor
Hi,

Just out of curiosity. what about UCLA?
Current Student
Send PM
Gnpth wrote:
Hi,

Just out of curiosity. what about UCLA?

Hey I got in UCLA.. without any scholarship though.
No end to my miserable confusion!!
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3131 [2]
Send PM
Kudos

CLOSURE

Just heard back from Abhigyanashakuntalam and I wanted to inform everyone that he got into OSU Fisher's MBA + MS in Business Analytics program for the fall 2018 and that he has already accepted the offer. This particular program is a STEM accredited program which is like an icing on the cake and will allow him to be more flexible in that Post MBA job search.

All the best mate. Have fun in OHIO!

Now, this is what we call a closure.

RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Send PM
stonecold wrote:

CLOSURE

Just heard back from Abhigyanashakuntalam and I wanted to inform everyone that he got into OSU Fisher's MBA + MS in Business Analytics program for the fall 2018 and that he has already accepted the offer. This particular program is a STEM accredited program which is like an icing on the cake and will allow him to be more flexible in that Post MBA job search.

Hi stonecold

Thanks for updating.

As per my understanding of the poster, he applied to MBA + MS BA in Mendoza not Fisher. Does Fisher also offer same combined masters?

Even it is the case, congrats for Abhigyanashakuntalam. My friend in Kellogg told me that may employers were asking for STEM programs.

Thanks
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3131 [0]
Send PM
Mo2men wrote:
stonecold wrote:

CLOSURE

Hi stonecold

Thanks for updating.

As per my understanding of the poster, he applied to MBA + MS BA in Mendoza not Fisher. Does Fisher also offer same combined masters?

Even it is the case, congrats for Abhigyanashakuntalam. My friend in Kellogg told me that may employers were asking for STEM programs.

Thanks

Hi,
Yes, I meant OSU.
He did get a full ride to Notre Dame's MBA + MS in Business analytics. But it didn't fit with his goals as he mentioned above and he really wanted to got to OSU. He was then somehow able to convert his MBA at OSU into MBA + MS in Business analytics which is a STEM program.

STEM MBA's are getting bigger and better. The STEM accreditation does helps bypass the the banged up US immigration system for at-least three years.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Send PM
stonecold wrote:
Hi,
Yes, I meant OSU.
He did get a full ride to Notre Dame's MBA + MS in Business analytics. But it didn't fit with his goals as he mentioned above and he really wanted to got to OSU. He was then somehow able to convert his MBA at OSU into MBA + MS in Business analytics which is a STEM program.

STEM MBA's are getting bigger and better. The STEM accreditation does helps bypass the the banged up US immigration system for at-least three years.

Hi,

Ya I know about the STEM. The BA in OSU is 75% online program in 10 months. The new trend in some MBA will be adding online quantitative program like Kelley. But it may take 2 years to be certified.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Kudos
stonecold wrote:

CLOSURE

Please forgive my ignorance- I always thought MBA is all about branding. Is it wise to forgo a brand like UCLA for a good state school(OSU)? Can OSU open doors in silicon valley?
I ask this because I have an offer from Ross ( no money) and UT Austin (50k). I decided to go with Ross, mainly because of its international reputation and employment opportunities. Even I am hard pressed for cash! I doubt my choice now when I see many internationals choosing money over brand.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 3131 [0]
Send PM
whymba909 wrote:
stonecold wrote:

CLOSURE

Please forgive my ignorance- I always thought MBA is all about branding. Is it wise to forgo a brand like UCLA for a good state school(OSU)? Can OSU open doors in silicon valley?
I ask this because I have an offer from Ross ( no money) and UT Austin (50k). I decided to go with Ross, mainly because of its international reputation and employment opportunities. Even I am hard pressed for cash! I doubt my choice now when I see many internationals choosing money over brand.

Oh No No No No!
First off, a full ride at Notre Dame/OSU/other Top 30-ish schools is worth so much more than no money from UCLA.

Now, Ross is in a completely different league.
And 50k (assuming you mean 25k/year) is absolutely nothing in the bigger scheme of things. The only situation in which I would be tempted to choose Mccombs over Ross would be if Mccombs gave me a full freaking ride.

As for your present situation, YOU TOOK THE RIGHT CALL. I mean, its Ross. How can you beat the experience -> https://www.instagram.com/p/BhPvP0RB_PP ... chiganross

Have fun in Chicago :cool: :thumbup:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
Send PM
stonecold wrote:

CLOSURE

Hi stonecold
I have a full ride offer from OSU and am an international student so I want to know more abt pursuing additional STEM program . Could you help connect with Abhigyanashakuntalam ? Thank you in advance.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts