GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Apr 2019, 19:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

More shoes are sold in Town A than in Town B. Therefore the population

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
More shoes are sold in Town A than in Town B. Therefore the population  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2013, 06:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

30% (01:37) correct 70% (01:35) wrong based on 416 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

More shoes are sold in Town A than in Town B. Therefore the population of Town A is better heeled than the population of Town B.

Each of the following, if true, weakens the conclusion drawn here except:

A There are more shoe stores in Town A.
B Town B only has stores that sell running shoes.
C The average price for the same pair of shoes is less in Town A than in Town B.
D Town A has a larger population than Town B.
E Most citizens of Town B work in Town A and therefore find it more convenient to buy their shoes there.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Sustainability, International Business
Re: More shoes are sold in Town A than in Town B. Therefore the population  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2013, 08:42
C is the only option that weakens the argument by saying that people in town A buy more shoes because they have a larger population rather than being better heeled

Answer :C
Re: More shoes are sold in Town A than in Town B. Therefore the population  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2013, 08:49
Please, notice that we are not supposed to find an answer that weakens the argument but the one that DOES NOT WEAKEN the argument. The question stem is as follows:
"Each of the following, if true, weakens the conclusion drawn here except: "
Intern
Intern
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2013, 09:10
NewKid123 wrote:
More shoes are sold in Town A than in Town B. Therefore the population of Town A is better heeled than the population of Town B.

C The average price for the same pair of shoes is less in Town A than in Town B.
E Most citizens of Town B work in Town A and therefore find it more convenient to buy their shoes there.

Are you sure about the question??? :? :?

As per the answer provided by you option A,B,D and E should WEAKEN the conclusion. But I don't think they are doing the same. Can you please mention the source?
Concentration: Sustainability, International Business

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2013, 19:17
Found a similar newspaper example:
a-greater-number-of-newspapers-are-sold-in-town-s-than-in-57534.html
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2014, 11:01
NewKid123 wrote:

OK so please someone explain how come each of these options weaken the argument

A There are more shoe stores in Town A. - Yeah, so what? Does this mean that more people buy shoes? I'm not quite sure
B Town B only has stores that sell running shoes - This could also be a weakener. Better heeled with limited amount of shoes is something I would be concerned about
C The average price for the same pair of shoes is less in Town A than in Town B - Maybe cause people will be able to have more shoes and thus be 'better heeled' I guess. This could be a weakener
D Town A has a larger population than Town B - So what?

E is pretty self explanatory

Thanks!
Cheers
J :)
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.82
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Apr 2014, 05:26
NewKid123 wrote:

Let me try this one

A There are more shoe stores in Town A. - More number shoes stores have noting to do wearing shoes
B Town B only has stores that sell running shoes. - Weakener - Running shoes are only sold this does not represent the whole population
C The average price for the same pair of shoes is less in Town A than in Town B. - Average price is less in Town A when compared to Town B so more ppl will buy shoes so it strengthens
D Town A has a larger population than Town B. - Large population have nothing to do with buying more shoes
E Most citizens of Town B work in Town A and therefore find it more convenient to buy their shoes there - Weakener - Its says Town B ppl in Town A buy more shoes so the town B population will wear more shoes.

Kudos if it helped

Regards,
Swami.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2014, 08:01
I'm still not too convinced with the answers provided...

Kasia from EconomistGMAT

Would you like to elaborate a bit more on this?
Cheers
J :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2014, 06:35
NewKid123 wrote:

How does A weaken... :shock: ..Can sm1 confirm the source?
Also how does C not weaken..If A and B are same in all respects...Then cheaper shoes in A..So more qty is sold..(Agreed that this is not a solid weakener..but better than A)
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2014, 22:57
NewKid123 wrote:

Do we have an answer for this?
I find them all weaken except for A which does neither weaken nor strengthen.
It's just irrelevant so that's my answer.
Can anyone back this up?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 13:31
ronr34 wrote:
NewKid123 wrote:

Do we have an answer for this?
I find them all weaken except for A which does neither weaken nor strengthen.
It's just irrelevant so that's my answer.
Can anyone back this up?

A weakens the argument since A says that "yes town A has more shoe stores than does town B". So we can't conclude that people in A re better heeled than people in B. C doesn't weaken; C says that "yes average price in A is less than price in B". Hence more people can buy shoes in town A. C is in line with the argument
P
GPA: 3.57
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 21:30
How does C not weaken it. If average price is less in town A, people don't need to be better heeled to buy shoes.
VP
VP
D
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 11:01
I always have some difficulty in solving these type of question .
Can anyone suggest any book for these kinds of questions.
Thanks in advance.

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2017, 11:53
arvind910619 wrote:
I always have some difficulty in solving these type of question .
Can anyone suggest any book for these kinds of questions.
Thanks in advance.

Hi everybody,

I think the question is pretty clear. Here are my thoughts :

A/More shoes stores in town B : there is no link between the number of shoes shops and the number of shoes sold : answer A doesn't strengthen nor weaken the argument : that is the answer
B/if city B shoes shops sell only sport shoes, it's normal that there is less shoes sold because sport shoes are a very specific type of shoes. Weakens

C/if average price in Town A is lower, that means that finally the population of town A is perhaps not so better heeled-weakens

D/town A has a larger population : the amount spent per capita in city A is perhaps way bellow the city B amount - weakens

E-if city B population shops in city A, the statistics are not reliable - weakens

Remember, "not weaken" doesn't necessary means "strengthen". Could be neutral.

Hope it's clear

Sent from my SM-G935F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot
Re: More shoes are sold in Town A than in Town B. Therefore the population   [#permalink] 11 Jul 2017, 11:53

More shoes are sold in Town A than in Town B. Therefore the population

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap