GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 03:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Most cable television companies currently require customers to subscri

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Most cable television companies currently require customers to subscri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2015, 20:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

61% (02:04) correct 39% (02:29) wrong based on 698 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Most cable television companies currently require customers to subscribe to packages of channels, but consumer groups have recently proposed legislation that would force the companies to offer a la carte pricing. Subscribers would pay less, argue the consumer groups, because they could purchase only the desired channels. However, the cable industry argues that under the current package pricing, popular channels subsidize less-popular ones, providing more options for viewers. For this reason, the industry claims that it is always cheaper for the consumer to purchase many bundled channels than to buy them individually.

Which of the following would be most important for the government to determine before deciding whether to require cable television companies to offer a la carte pricing in order to reduce consumer costs?

A. Whether the total number of channels offered to consumers would decrease, along with programming diversity, as a result of the a la carte pricing structure

B. Whether advertising revenue for the cable television companies would decrease as a result of the a la carte pricing structure

C. Whether the vast majority of consumers would greatly reduce the number of channels purchased if given the option of purchasing them individually

D. Whether cable and satellite companies currently have the ability to buy channels individually from programmers and content providers

E. Whether a la carte subscribers would be required to have new television set-top boxes

This question is part of the GMAT Club Critical Reasoning : Evaluate Revision Project.

Have an MBA application Question? ASK ME ANYTHING!

My Stuff: Four Years to 760 | MBA Trends for Indian Applicants

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
How I got into five schools from zero - Applicant Lab Review
Veritas Prep Live Online

Most Helpful Community Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
Re: Most cable television companies currently require customers to subscri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2015, 08:06
souvik101990 wrote:
This question is part of the GMAT Club Critical Reasoning : Evaluate Revision Project.

Most cable television companies currently require customers to subscribe to packages of channels, but consumer groups have recently proposed legislation that would force the companies to offer a la carte pricing. Subscribers would pay less, argue the consumer groups, because they could purchase only the desired channels. However, the cable industry argues that under the current package pricing, popular channels subsidize less-popular ones, providing more options for viewers. For this reason, the industry claims that it is always cheaper for the consumer to purchase many bundled channels than to buy them individually. Which of the following would be most important for the government to determine before deciding whether to require cable television companies to offer a la carte pricing in order to reduce consumer costs?

A. Whether the total number of channels offered to consumers would decrease, along with programming diversity, as a result of the a la carte pricing structure

B. Whether advertising revenue for the cable television companies would decrease as a result of the a la carte pricing structure

C. Whether the vast majority of consumers would greatly reduce the number of channels purchased if given the option of purchasing them individually

D. Whether cable and satellite companies currently have the ability to buy channels individually from programmers and content providers

E. Whether a la carte subscribers would be required to have new television set-top boxes

Between choice A and C , choice C looks correct.

This is an evaluate question.- Whether the la carte menu will reduce costs?

The correct choice should pass the variance analysis test.

Analysis of option A-
Extreme 1 -the total number of channels offered to consumers would decrease, along with programming diversity, as a result of the a la carte pricing structure-

But will the costs come down? cannot say....may be the channels offered are expensive or cheaper...

Extreme 2- the total number of channels offered to consumers would NOT decrease, along with programming diversity, as a result of the a la carte pricing structure

Again the cost may come down because we do not know what channels will the subscribers choose-whether they will choose the expensive ones or the cheap ones...

So A is not the answer.

Analysis of option C-

Extreme 1-the vast majority of consumers would greatly reduce the number of channels purchased if given the option of purchasing them individually

So the consumers may choose channels to reduce the costs.- - Cost may come down.

Extreme 2-the vast majority of consumers would NOT greatly reduce the number of channels purchased if given the option of purchasing them individually

So the costs may go up because they may have to pay more because under current package popular channels subsidize less-popular ones.- Cost may go up

Hence , C should be the correct answer.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I hated every minute of training, but I said, 'Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.-Mohammad Ali

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.39
Re: Most cable television companies currently require customers to subscri  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2016, 02:47
Most cable television companies currently require customers to subscribe to packages of channels, but consumer groups have recently proposed legislation that would force the companies to offer a la carte pricing. Subscribers would pay less, argue the consumer groups, because they could purchase only the desired channels. However, the cable industry argues that under the current package pricing, popular channels subsidize less-popular ones, providing more options for viewers. For this reason, the industry claims that it is always cheaper for the consumer to purchase many bundled channels than to buy them individually.

Which of the following would be most important for the government to determine before deciding whether to require cable television companies to offer a la carte pricing in order to reduce consumer costs?

Government has to decide whether to require cable television companies to offer a la carte pricing in order to reduce consumer costs <- The Move

Fact presented: under the current package pricing, popular channels subsidize less-popular ones, providing more options for viewers.

Therefore, if the customers subscribe to more channels than the number of channels they are presently subscribed to, then The Move will only hurt the customers because
they will have to pay more as the channels will be offered in unbundled fashion, nullifying the subsidy.

Yes: Not a strong evaluation point. Also, programming diversity looks like OFS. Therefore, won't look at the other extreme - No
Yes: Even if the revenue of the cable television companies increases, it won't matter as this point doesn't address the behavior of the cost to the consumer.
No: Even if the revenue of the cable television companies doesn't increase, it won't matter as this point doesn't address the behavior of the cost to the consumer.
Yes: If the consumers reduce the number of channels purchased, then it makes sense to unbundle the channels.
No: Then it will only hurt the customers as they now have to pay more in the absence of the subsidy. Gov has to consider this.
Yes: Doesn't address the behavior of the cost to the consumer
No: Doesn't address the behavior of the cost to the consumer
Yes: In case they have to, no information is provided how much the set-top box would cost. Maybe the amount saved from purchasing only the channels the consumers watch will cover the cost of the set-top box. Also, the set-top box is a one-time installation. So not a very strong evaluation point. Since this extreme is not strong enough, we won't go to the second extreme.
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2018, 08:18

(A) Whether the total number of channels offered to consumers would decrease, along with programming diversity, as a result of the a la carte pricing structure
The argument doesn't talk about the reduction in the number of channels. Besides, channels won't shut down if a la carte pricing comes into picture.

(B) Whether advertising revenue for the cable television companies would decrease as a result of the a la carte pricing structure
Advertising revenue is out of scope

(C) Whether the vast majority of consumers would greatly reduce the number of channels purchased if given the option of purchasing them individually
Correct. If the consumers do purchase fewer channels then the plan will be a hit else it will be a miss.

(D) Whether cable and satellite companies currently have the ability to buy channels individually from programmers and content providers
Ability of cable and satellite companies is out of scope.

(E) Whether a la carte subscribers would be required to have new television set-top boxes
It is one time of cost that people shouldn't mind. Besides, it is out of scope

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!
Preparing for RC my way
RC Summary Activity - New Project to imporve RC Skills
Bloomberg's US Bschool Ranking

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2018, 23:00
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Most cable television companies currently require customers to subscri &nbs [#permalink] 07 Sep 2018, 23:00

Most cable television companies currently require customers to subscri

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap