Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [93]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [15]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [10]
Send PM
General Discussion
Re: Most important step in RC - Practice questions Mon Wed Fri [#permalink]
Kudos
gmatexam439 wrote:

RC Summary Activity

What is the activity about?

In GMAT, RC consists of 3 types of questions:
1. According to the passage
2. Inference/Strengthen/Weaken
3. Main point question

Hi, I've a question specially on RC inference and CR inference question. Actually, 'inference' question is tested both in RC and in CR. Why the same thing tested in 2 separate places?. Are these questions (RC inference and CR inference) have to track in same way?. If not, then WHY GMAC test the same thing in 2 different places?
Thanks__
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [3]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Para 1: HRE: its definition and scope
Para 2: HRE particularly useful for younger age groups
Para 2: Awareness extended to knowing scope

Main Point: HRE: Its definition and benefits, particularly to younger age groups.

workout u1983 aragonn gmatexam439
Can you grade my understanding from 0 to 5?
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
adkikani wrote:
Para 1: HRE: its definition and scope
Para 2: HRE particularly useful for younger age groups
Para 2: Awareness extended to knowing scope

Main Point: HRE: Its definition and benefits, particularly to younger age groups.

workout u1983 aragonn gmatexam439
Can you grade my understanding from 0 to 5?

Hi bro,

I would correct just one thing in your summary above: the paragraphs are talking about the impact on young leaders NOT younger age groups. Always be very specific about details that you map in GMAT. Missing even a small word could let you down.

Your individual summaries are very good, though!

Best Regards.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [0]
Send PM
aragonn wrote:
Keep up the good work gmatexam439

My 2 cent on how to use this activity the most. Right way to come up with the right summery.

- Read the first line of RC very carefully and tell yourself that you will get to know something good about "XYZ".
- now try to find out your good guy and your bad guy. no matter what process is going to be quiet easier if you find it as a story. This will make you engage. the more you engage the better.
- take help from contrasting/supporting words. this way you can predict what is coming next. Always predict what is coming next.
- after every paragraph, stop and tell a summary of it. also try to connect it with previous para , if any. as mentioned in magoosh RC guide, map don't memories. This will help you to go back to specific part of the passage and reread.
- while mapping remember which example is given or something around the theory whatever you can.
- once done, tell the summary in minimum possible words.
- never use outside information while reading RC.
- your imagination power and memorization is going to play a major role in this case. you really need these two things to excel in this part. understand that RC part is more like an open book exam and still people struggle in it.
- mind the time. do not take anything more than 3-4 min. after all it's all about time. this one should be done in 2 min.
- You don't need to practice the RC. you just need to practice the reading. Rest will fall on its place at right time.
- Your summery can be any thing, as far as you can map the para in right way. - adkikani - on these lines no one can call your's wrong or even not right. As far as you should able to map whole thing once you are done. So you take the call here. in 2 min you have to finish this up and come up with summery and map in your head.

Hi bro,

Thank you for the insights.

I have just 1 point to add: while writing the summaries during practice sessions one can write them in any language they feel comfortable in. For instance, most of my summaries were in symbol language; this helped me save a few precious seconds.

Best Regards.
Send PM
AsadAbu wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:

RC Summary Activity

3. Main point question

Hi, I've a question specially on RC inference and CR inference question. Actually, 'inference' question is tested both in RC and in CR. Why the same thing tested in 2 separate places?. Are these questions (RC inference and CR inference) have to track in same way?. If not, then WHY GMAC test the same thing in 2 different places?
Thanks__

Hi,

"Are these questions (RC inference and CR inference) have to track in same way?" I didn't understand the questions you are trying to ask; could you please rephrase.

Best Regards.
gmatexam439 wrote:
AsadAbu wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:

RC Summary Activity

3. Main point question

Thanks__

Hi,

"Are these questions (RC inference and CR inference) have to track in same way?" I didn't understand the questions you are trying to ask; could you please rephrase.

Best Regards.

Could you help me by answering the bold questions?
Thanks__
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
AsadAbu - in RC there is a whole chapter defined as 'CR in RC'. nothing special, just same critical reasoning but on RC. Same concepts need to be applied on these questions as well. Inference questions are really very common, Just in CR you have a very small abstract to read and come to a term, in RC full passage is in scope. Now come to your question of why tested at two places. I can just imagine this. CR is a quiet challenge for most people and when applied on RC it become monster. Only by right approach this monster can be beaten. You better choose your weapons carefully :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5652 [0]
Send PM
gmatexam439 - Changed your thread to sticky, after all its a crucial thread. I think you should name of topic to - most important step in RC.

P.S. - I am very bad with names.
Send PM
AsadAbu wrote:
Why the same thing tested in 2 separate places?

Hi bro,

Well can't say as to why the same thing is tested twice but as aragonn stated, within an RC it's more difficult to analyze the inferences. Remember that GMAT is a mental exam - there is no golden trick to solve any question!

All the best with prep.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
aragonn wrote:
gmatexam439 - Changed your thread to sticky, after all its a crucial thread. I think you should name of topic to - most important step in RC.

P.S. - I am very bad with names.

Updated bro :-D

I took the name you suggested ;) -- it makes sense, though!
AsadAbu wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:

RC Summary Activity

3. Main point question

Thanks__

Hi Honorable Expert (RonPurewal, MartyMurray, GMATNinja, sayantanc2k, VeritasPrepBrian, egmat, @AjiteshArun)
Could you help me by explaining a bit on the above question, please?
Thanks__
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AsadAbu wrote:

Thanks__

While there are Inference type questions in both Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension, answering Critical Reasoning Inference questions does not involve using quite the same skills that are used to answer Reading Comprehension Inference questions.

To answer a Critical Reasoning Inference question, you have to determine what can be inferred from a limited set of statements. All the information that you could use in choosing the answer is presented to you in a short passage. So, your task is simply to determine what can be properly inferred from that limited set of information. The correct answer differs from the incorrect answers in that the limited set of information supports the correct answer but does not support the other answers, and choosing correctly among the answer choices is mostly a matter of using logic and not getting seduced into choosing a seemingly correct but actually illogical trap answer.

Reading Comprehension is different from Critical Reasoning in general in that, whereas a Critical Reasoning question presents you with a limited amount of information, a Reading Comprehension question uses a much longer passage containing all kinds of information, much of which is not germane to the question being asked.

So, answering a Reading Comprehension Inference question requires not only determining what can be inferred from the passage, but also determining what information presented in the passage is even relevant for determining which answer choice is correct. Also, each of the Reading Comprehension Inference question answer choices may be closely related to a set of information in the passage different from that set of information that is related to the other choices. So, in answering a Reading Comprehension Inference question, not only do you have to find information to support the correct answer, you may have to consider somewhat different information when evaluating each choice in the same question.

So, in comparison with correctly answering Critical Reasoning Inference questions, correctly answering Reading Comprehension Inference questions is less a matter of using logic and not getting tricked and more a matter of using skills that are not really necessary for answering Critical Reasoning Inference questions, skills related to finding information, correctly interpreting statements, and determining which information is relevant.
Own Kudos [?]: 1970 [3]
Send PM
Kudos