GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2018, 19:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Essential GMAT Time-Management Hacks

November 14, 2018

November 14, 2018

07:00 PM PST

08:00 PM PST

Join the webinar and learn time-management tactics that will guarantee you answer all questions, in all sections, on time. Save your spot today! Nov. 14th at 7 PM PST
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

November 15, 2018

November 15, 2018

10:00 PM MST

11:00 PM MST

EMPOWERgmat is giving away the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)

My rather illogical experience with IR on GMAT and EA

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V39
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V33
My rather illogical experience with IR on GMAT and EA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 00:23
I first took GMAT in November 2016 and I cancelled the results as it was only 590, but thanks to enhanced score report I know exactly how I performed, for the purposes of this meeting let me concentrate on IR (although, when I sat for test for the second time, I did actually worse on Quant too inspite of preparation, but that it is different story, may be..)
- IR score 6 (and given max score of 8 - it is 75% of max score)
What is interesting I did not do any preparation for IR except for doing a practice review test...Also, I did not have time to complete all 12 questions, I think I just finished 10 questions...

When I took exam in Jan 2017 I improved my GMAT score solely because of Verbal section and did actually worse on Quant and IR
- IR score 5 (and given max score of 8 - it is 63% of max score).
I completed 12 out of 12 questions. I practiced the tests a couple of times (plus had previous experience with actual test, it is interesting that it helped me answer all questions, but my performance deteriorated a bit, which may be just a play of luck.

In November 2017 I started preparation for Executive Assessment (also administered by GMAC) - I acquired OfficialEApreparation package with 100 questions (1 question got somehow lost- I completed all questions but it showed only 99, I have not idea, where the last one went and may be, it was the reason for my mediocre result :)) and additional IR questions pack of 40 questions. I resolved them all with average score of 75% but I could not complete in time, so score is a bit misleading. I also put notes on difficult questions and tried them again....

When I took the actual EA exam the score for IR (and this one counts to the total score, unlike GMAT) was just 10 out of 20 or 50%!
I was able to complete about 10 of 12 question...

I consider this result as amazingly low, given extensive IR preparation... Really, I scored 75% without any preparation on GMAT, 63% at second sitting and then after preparation I had only 50%!
Could it be that IR part of GMAT or (EA) became more complex? Or it just tells me that IR preparation only makes things worse?

But my story was not over yet, as I decided to improve my EA grade and registered at the exam again I took in less then 1 month time for EA again. I did not do any preparation for IR and verbal part and just focused on quant.
I failed to improve my EA score - just wasted 350 USD of registration fee and my chance to improve it for lifetime :) well, current rules provide that you take EA only twice in your life! It is a pity really, I hope that they change it one day....
With regard to IR - I improved it by 1 point (making 55% of max score), but I did worse by 2 points on IR and 1 point on quant (even although I got just the opposite impression before hitting the end of test button :)

My personal takeaway thoughts:
- IR skills can not be mastered in short term or even medium term, probably you accumulate it over time or it is just dependent upon your cognitive abilities in general... you should be just aware of question types and I would rather suggest that you have good rest before the exams and manage your time wisely. .
- Retaking EA shortly may be not the best tactic....
- I concur that on IR it may be a better tactic to focus on resolving 10 questions rather than trying to do all 12, if you're under time pressure of course..
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Project Management (Internet and New Media)
Re: My rather illogical experience with IR on GMAT and EA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 07:28
Erjan_S wrote:
I first took GMAT in November 2016 and I cancelled the results as it was only 590, but thanks to enhanced score report I know exactly how I performed, for the purposes of this meeting let me concentrate on IR (although, when I sat for test for the second time, I did actually worse on Quant too inspite of preparation, but that it is different story, may be..)
- IR score 6 (and given max score of 8 - it is 75% of max score)
What is interesting I did not do any preparation for IR except for doing a practice review test...Also, I did not have time to complete all 12 questions, I think I just finished 10 questions...

When I took exam in Jan 2017 I improved my GMAT score solely because of Verbal section and did actually worse on Quant and IR
- IR score 5 (and given max score of 8 - it is 63% of max score).
I completed 12 out of 12 questions. I practiced the tests a couple of times (plus had previous experience with actual test, it is interesting that it helped me answer all questions, but my performance deteriorated a bit, which may be just a play of luck.

In November 2017 I started preparation for Executive Assessment (also administered by GMAC) - I acquired OfficialEApreparation package with 100 questions (1 question got somehow lost- I completed all questions but it showed only 99, I have not idea, where the last one went and may be, it was the reason for my mediocre result :)) and additional IR questions pack of 40 questions. I resolved them all with average score of 75% but I could not complete in time, so score is a bit misleading. I also put notes on difficult questions and tried them again....

When I took the actual EA exam the score for IR (and this one counts to the total score, unlike GMAT) was just 10 out of 20 or 50%!
I was able to complete about 10 of 12 question...

I consider this result as amazingly low, given extensive IR preparation... Really, I scored 75% without any preparation on GMAT, 63% at second sitting and then after preparation I had only 50%!
Could it be that IR part of GMAT or (EA) became more complex? Or it just tells me that IR preparation only makes things worse?

But my story was not over yet, as I decided to improve my EA grade and registered at the exam again I took in less then 1 month time for EA again. I did not do any preparation for IR and verbal part and just focused on quant.
I failed to improve my EA score - just wasted 350 USD of registration fee and my chance to improve it for lifetime :) well, current rules provide that you take EA only twice in your life! It is a pity really, I hope that they change it one day....
With regard to IR - I improved it by 1 point (making 55% of max score), but I did worse by 2 points on IR and 1 point on quant (even although I got just the opposite impression before hitting the end of test button :)

My personal takeaway thoughts:
- IR skills can not be mastered in short term or even medium term, probably you accumulate it over time or it is just dependent upon your cognitive abilities in general... you should be just aware of question types and I would rather suggest that you have good rest before the exams and manage your time wisely. .
- Retaking EA shortly may be not the best tactic....
- I concur that on IR it may be a better tactic to focus on resolving 10 questions rather than trying to do all 12, if you're under time pressure of course..

Amazing feedback Erjan! Thanks for sharing.

I would certainly very much agree with your last point. I think anyone going into IR should be prepared (as in have actually practiced) skipping 2-4 questions, depending on the score goal, and only ever answer all 12 questions if you find yourself ahead of your schedule.

Regarding training specifically for IR, I also agree and don't believe you can cram that. Nevertheless, from my personal experience, it really helped me doing practice sets of 10-12 questions per question type (i.e. 10-12 questions Graph, then 10-12 questions MSR, etc.). It gave me a much greater deal of confidence when facing these questions and helped me identify common traps / common mistakes I was making under stress and time constraint.

I ended up getting an 8 in IR with 90% accuracy. This was higher than any practice test I had done on my own. I attribute that largely to the fact that I was well rested, as you mentioned, and not making careless mistakes.

Please Press +1 Kudos if it helps!

October 9th, 2017: Diagnostic Exam - Admit Master (GoGMAT) - 640
November 11th, 2017: CAT 1 - Admit Master (GoGMAT) - 700
November 20th, 2017: CAT 2 - GMATPrep - 700 (Q: 47, V: 40)
November 25th, 2017: CAT 3 - Admit Master (GoGMAT) - 710 (Q: 48, V: 40)
November 27th, 2017: CAT 4 - GMATPrep - 720 (Q: 49, V: 40)

December 4th, 2017: GMAT Exam - 750 (Q: 48, V: 44, IR: 8, AWA: 6)

Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q36 V39
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V33
My rather illogical experience with IR on GMAT and EA  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 04:20
I tried to do another GMAT practice test and again easily scored IR of 65% (no questions repeated from EA official preparation or IR package)... I seriously think that they do calculate score differently for GMAT and EA purposes... I mean not just % of correct/total question to total section score...
GMAT Club Bot
My rather illogical experience with IR on GMAT and EA &nbs [#permalink] 24 Dec 2017, 04:20

My rather illogical experience with IR on GMAT and EA

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap