Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 17:39 It is currently 03 May 2024, 17:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Re: Need advice. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
You're very welcome. I hope that you pay attention to the other things I mentioned as well. However for community service you are looking to get some really good accomplishments on the board over the next year. It's expected for people to have this aspect to their profile, and it does help differentiate you. It would be ideal for you too lay the groundwork for a letter of recommendation when you apply for business school, if I had a lot of success with people getting at least one of the recommendations from a regional leader of an organization that aligns with their overall interests and values/brand.

MBA Prep Coach
https://MBAPrepCoach.com
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10029 [0]
Given Kudos: 4544
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Topic moved to appropriate forum.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Hi jelobb88,

I would say that you've done well given the cards you've been handed. Business schools will recognize the effort that you've put in.

Notre Dame, IU, and Vanderbilt are definitely approachable, especially if you can do a 730 on the GMAT. I would also encourage you to apply to Duke and Darden (but also a few schools in the 26 - 35 range, to balance out the portfolio).

You will need to do some work on your goals statement to show how your past and current job relate to a career in operations management. Otherwise, you should be good.

Regards,
Karthik

jelobb88 wrote:
So this may be a long post. I'm considering applying to b-school for the class of 2021. My background isn't typical. Its far from it. I know the experience would be beneficial. I want to work in upper operations management. Possibly Amazon. I feel like I also have a short career background that might be good for consulting.

Here's my background:

Dropped out of high school my junior year and got my GED.

Went to Campbellsville University. It is a regional private university. I majored in Business Administration with an emphasis in business administration with heavy economics courses as well. I graduated in 2015 with a 3.6 GPA.

Since graduating, I spent two years as a general manager at Aarons. The store was in turmoil when I arrived. Turned the operation around and left for a career in the finance industry.

I am currently the branch manager of a finance company. I have been there since January and look to stay until I leave for b-school.

I am taking my GMAT in December or January. Currently using prep books. Practice test indicate a score in the 700-730 range.

Given that information do you think I would be a good fit for business school? I am wanting to stay in the south east as that is where I want to work. Vanderbilt is at the top of my list currently as is Notre Dame and IU. Far stretch school include Fuqua and Darden. Honest opinions please. I'm devoting everything I have to this journey and if I don't stand a chance or wont benefit from doing so I would like to know that going in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my VS995 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
GMAT Club Bot