It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 04:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need advise about career goals

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2017
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Need advise about career goals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 15:22
Below is my profile. Would really appreciate some help.

Background:
- Indian male candidate
- 3 years experience with a US based consulting firm
- 1 years experience with a India based boutique consulting firm

GMAT score - 740 (50Q / 40V) AWA: 6, IR: 7

Undergrad GPA - 8.4/10

Entrepreneurial Experience:
- Advised family business on growth and export (but never worked full time on family business)

Possible Career paths:
1.
Short Term - Consulting in MBB, Long term - Family business
Story: Business background – Off shore consulting experience with US based consulting firm – Experience with India based boutique consulting firm – MBA – Consulting industry in US – Family business
Want to grow the family business in a renowned brand across the globe. To achieve this, need to learn xxx and yyy skills. Consulting will help me learn these skills quickly.
Potential Issue - a) Not worked directly in the business. Only advised on export and some strategic decisions. b) Justification that after MBA I need consulting experience in US before joining family business full time

2.
Short Term - Consulting in MBB, Long term - Grow through the ladders and reach the CXO level
Story: Strong in problem solving – Off shore consulting experience with US based consulting firm – Experience with India based boutique consulting firm – MBA – On shore consulting experience with US based consulting firm – Grow in that firm and reach the CXO level
Potential Issue - Very common goal, difficult to differentiate myself from other candidates from India

Target Schools: Kellogg, Duke, Ross, Darden, NYU (Open to other school suggestions as well)

Questions:
1. Between the two career paths, which one should I put in the career goal essay. Any suggestion?

2. About the entrepreneurship path, does my short-term goal and long-term goal make sense together?

3. If the family business part does differentiates me from other Indian candidate, how can my make my story stronger?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2017
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: Need advise about career goals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2017, 15:38

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

VP
VP
avatar
P
Joined: 26 Mar 2013
Posts: 1285

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 165

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Need advise about career goals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 07:29
My advice to you is to think deeply about you short term and long term goals as you own them. You know the details of your background and how you evolved through years. What you did in the past and what you will do should be presented in coherence. I thin you do not want to sacrifice your opportunity. So you can ask a consultant to review and edit your essays and help you craft your story. You can pick up any consultant from GMAT club review section.

Good luck

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 165

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
User avatar
G
Joined: 12 Aug 2014
Posts: 2367

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 0

Re: Need advise about career goals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 15:19
Answers below:
1. Between the two career paths, which one should I put in the career goal essay. Any suggestion?
Honestly, I don't believe either one will necessarily differentiate you. One approach to take here is to focus on the underlying rationale driving your career goals or share a "passion pitch" that illustrates why it is so important for you to pursue these goals

2. About the entrepreneurship path, does my short-term goal and long-term goal make sense together?
It sort of makes sense, but you will just need to be super clear on what skills a career in consulting will offer to allow you to achieve the long term goals, can't assume an obvious connection here

3. If the family business part does differentiates me from other Indian candidate, how can my make my story stronger?
SEE ABOVE
_________________

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2017
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: Need advise about career goals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 12:52
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
Answers below:
1. Between the two career paths, which one should I put in the career goal essay. Any suggestion?
Honestly, I don't believe either one will necessarily differentiate you. One approach to take here is to focus on the underlying rationale driving your career goals or share a "passion pitch" that illustrates why it is so important for you to pursue these goals

2. About the entrepreneurship path, does my short-term goal and long-term goal make sense together?
It sort of makes sense, but you will just need to be super clear on what skills a career in consulting will offer to allow you to achieve the long term goals, can't assume an obvious connection here

3. If the family business part does differentiates me from other Indian candidate, how can my make my story stronger?
SEE ABOVE


Thank you for the reply. I have give my goals a lot of thought and also connected with a few experts. However, I still have some questions.

I feel that in future I really want to go towards the entrepreneurial path and hence have decided to go with family business as my long term plan. For the short term goals, I am confused between two paths:

A. After MBA go directly to Family Business.
Pros:
1. Guaranteed post MBA employment (for the adcoms)
Cons:
1. As I don't have direct experience in the family business, the adcoms might ask me to gain some experience first and then apply.
2. They might also ask me to apply to the family business program, which I am not keen at doing

B. After MBA join a large size company in the similar industry in a Corporate strategy role and then move to family business after 4-5 years
Pros
1. Can justify why normal MBA program and not family business program
2. Give more precise goals such as I want to join company x after MBA -- gain in-depth practical experience -- apply these skills to family business
3. Will separate me from other folks who want to get into consulting before family business
Cons:
1. Stone industry is a very unorganized sector, with no big players, hiring from top MBA schools. Difficult to convince Adcoms about placements

Could you please give me some advise on the career goals to choose?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2017
Posts: 4

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: Need advise about career goals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Nov 2017, 12:58
Mo2men wrote:
My advice to you is to think deeply about you short term and long term goals as you own them. You know the details of your background and how you evolved through years. What you did in the past and what you will do should be presented in coherence. I thin you do not want to sacrifice your opportunity. So you can ask a consultant to review and edit your essays and help you craft your story. You can pick up any consultant from GMAT club review section.

Good luck


Hi Mo2men

Thank you for your advise. The consultants suggest me to with the consulting goals as I have relevant experience. But, I don't feel that as my true goals.

I am planning to go with the entrepreneurship goals and have shortlisted two potential paths (mentioned above). It would be great if you could share some advise on the same.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 303

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Schools: Wharton
Re: Need advise about career goals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 09:53
My reply below:
kabs123 wrote:
Thank you for the reply. I have give my goals a lot of thought and also connected with a few experts. However, I still have some questions.

I feel that in future I really want to go towards the entrepreneurial path and hence have decided to go with family business as my long term plan. For the short term goals, I am confused between two paths:

A. After MBA go directly to Family Business.
Pros:
1. Guaranteed post MBA employment (for the adcoms)
Cons:
1. As I don't have direct experience in the family business, the adcoms might ask me to gain some experience first and then apply.
2. They might also ask me to apply to the family business program, which I am not keen at doing

First, ‘Guaranteed post MBA employment’ is a weak pro, or not at all a pro, especially at top programs because your entry into your family business isn’t through a competitive process and it’s completely in your hand. Such programs aren’t just looking to get satisfied at having a guaranteed recruit.

Second, you don’t need prior experience in family business to join it.

You’ll have to really think hard to come up with credible reasons for pursuing an MBA if you want to join the family business post-MBA, especially when you’ve had few years of consulting experience.


B. After MBA join a large size company in the similar industry in a Corporate strategy role and then move to family business after 4-5 years
Pros
1. Can justify why normal MBA program and not family business program
2. Give more precise goals such as I want to join company x after MBA -- gain in-depth practical experience -- apply these skills to family business
3. Will separate me from other folks who want to get into consulting before family business
Cons:
1. Stone industry is a very unorganized sector, with no big players, hiring from top MBA schools. Difficult to convince Adcoms about placements

Your con is spot on. You wouldn’t recruit in that industry, post-MBA. But you don’t necessarily need to work in the same industry to contribute meaningfully to a business in another industry. But there has to be some connect, some takeaways from your short-term goal that will help you in the long term.

Last, if your family business is your long-term (or medium term) goal, you should think about what vision you’ve for that business. Where do you want to take it?


Could you please give me some advise on the career goals to choose?

_________________

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

And if you couldn’t make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 4

Re: Need advise about career goals   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2017, 09:53
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Need advise about career goals

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.