GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Dec 2018, 05:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Happy Christmas 20% Sale! Math Revolution All-In-One Products!

December 20, 2018

December 20, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

This is the most inexpensive and attractive price in the market. Get the course now!
  • Key Strategies to Master GMAT SC

December 22, 2018

December 22, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this webinar to learn how to leverage Meaning and Logic to solve the most challenging Sentence Correction Questions.

Need your guidance to save my dream

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Need your guidance to save my dream  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 08:51
Its been 5 weeks since I started my preparation for GMAT. It's been almost 7+ years since I passed out of my college and never took any exam after that. Initial 2 weeks I studied quant. The following 3 weeks my focus has been mostly on verbal. I even subscribed for egmat after realising I really suck at SC.

I am studying almost 5-6 hours in a day in studying. I really want to crack this exam. But no matter how well I understand the concepts when I see the actual questions I simply fail to make the right choice. I am taking way too much time in SC ( around 3.5-4.5) min a question and get only 15-40% right.

I have gone through many posts, which mentions about practicing in a timed manner. But I am taking even to identify the right answer. I am almost about to cry now. All my life the only thing I ever told myself is that work hard and you will break the resistance and achieve what you want. I keep saying that too myself everyday after another disappointing SC session. But I really need some guidance. I am very critical about me and the results are not showing up even after almost giving up every distraction in the past month to achieve this dream.

Sorry for the long message, I don't know what what to do.

Thanks for your patience in reading this. I am really looking forward to your reply.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Need your guidance to save my dream  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 08:58
sanathadiga wrote:
Its been 5 weeks since I started my preparation for GMAT. It's been almost 7+ years since I passed out of my college and never took any exam after that. Initial 2 weeks I studied quant. The following 3 weeks my focus has been mostly on verbal. I even subscribed for egmat after realising I really suck at SC.

I am studying almost 5-6 hours in a day in studying. I really want to crack this exam. But no matter how well I understand the concepts when I see the actual questions I simply fail to make the right choice. I am taking way too much time in SC ( around 3.5-4.5) min a question and get only 15-40% right.

I have gone through many posts, which mentions about practicing in a timed manner. But I am taking even to identify the right answer. I am almost about to cry now. All my life the only thing I ever told myself is that work hard and you will break the resistance and achieve what you want. I keep saying that too myself everyday after another disappointing SC session. But I really need some guidance. I am very critical about me and the results are not showing up even after almost giving up every distraction in the past month to achieve this dream.

Thanks for your patience in reading this. I am really looking forward to your reply.

Try to prepare an error log if not already
Write down what is wrong in each of the answer choices ( Grammar rules, idiom , Subject verb agreement, incorrect construction etc).
Do not jump at the right option.
Spend a lot of time analysing each answer choice.
Keep working hard though, SC takes time. It's not something you can learn in a month.

Sent from my XT1562 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 09:10
Hello my friend,

SC focused:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/sc-tips-shee ... l#p1475810

Strategy focused:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strat ... l#p2082192

Moreover I would suggest to have a look at the verban explanation videos from Veritas Prep and GmatNinja those are both two great ressources with regards to improving ones verbal score.
While does videos are no replacement for dedicated prep and solving actual questions, some of the hints and tips provided might come in very handy during your next GMAT adventure.

Nonetheless make sure to check some of the questions and their respective answers in this forum, than can be a great source of insight with regards to some topics you might struggle in.

Best of luck for your prep,
Chris

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Ask GMAT Experts Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Jul 2018, 09:17
sanathadiga wrote:

Hi
First of all, don't be disappointed by this initial setback. You can read many success stories in this forum in which people have turned a failure into a success. Read some debriefs, it will give you confidence.
Regarding your timing issue in SC, there are some strategies that you can find in this forum. One of them being find the error in the given sentence and then eliminate all options that contain that error. In that way, you can eliminate 2-3 choices. Another one is read the options vertically. In most SC questions you will find 2/3 splits. Following these strategies can help you reduce the time. You can find more of them in the forum. Hope it helps.
All the best.

Please give kudos, if you like my post

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going...

Originally posted by souvonik2k on 12 Jul 2018, 09:15.
Last edited by souvonik2k on 12 Jul 2018, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 09:16
Arro44 wrote:
Hello my friend

Moreover I would suggest to have a look at the verban explanation videos from Veritas Prep and GmatNinja those are both two great ressources with regards to improving ones verbal score.
While does videos are no replacement for dedicated prep and solving actual questions, some of the hints and tips provided might come in very handy during your next GMAT adventure.

Nonetheless make sure to check some of the questions and their respective answers in this forum, than can be a great source of insight with regards to some topics you might struggle in.

Best of luck for your prep,
Chris

Thanks Chris for the pointers . I have been watching the e-gmat videos over and over again to perfect the concept .. with respect to solving questions I am planning to finish OG first and then jump to GMAT club questions.

I will definitely go through GMAT ninja videos. The only thing I am sad about is the progress. It's saddening to not get results after putting so much efforts.

Thanks for the reply once again. Need support and guidance to overcome this moment and beat this minor defeat my journey.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 09:22
sanathadiga wrote:

Thanks Chris for the pointers . I have been watching the e-gmat videos over and over again to perfect the concept .. with respect to solving questions I am planning to finish OG first and then jump to GMAT club questions.

I will definitely go through GMAT ninja videos. The only thing I am sad about is the progress. It's saddening to not get results after putting so much efforts.

Thanks for the reply once again. Need support and guidance to overcome this moment and beat this minor defeat my journey.

Don´t let those stumbling stones bring you down and keep striving for your dream.
Setbacks are, unfortunately, completly normal during the journey towards the GMAT and I think most people have come across them in one way or another.

I am certain that you will overcome your SC sooner than you think. :)

Best regards,
Chris

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Stern '21
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 09:24
Just like you, I keep juggling in RC questions. And trust me all I have to say is don't give up ! If one strategy doesn't works try a new one. 100 failures but 1 right attempt can help you do SC questions in 40 seconds from 4 mins. Be consistent. I have improved in a month's time in SC questions. I keep jotting points not only of grammar concepts but also of questions that I attempt wrong. Infact,these days, I have started living SC. While writing an email, I find errors and correct them. Since my job has pretty writing work too and as I'm a part time blogger, SC has helped me to write fairly well. Try this, it may help. You will enjoy doing it :)
SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 13:31
Top Contributor
[quote] I am taking way too much time in SC ( around 3.5-4.5) min a question and get only 15-40% right.[/quote

Really? CR and RC take way more time just to read through. SC should not be taking you that long.

We at GMAT Pill specialize in SC questions -- most notably answering them in < 1 minute -- sometimes closer to 30 seconds. More important, we provide you the strategy (not just the concept) - of how to minimize the amount of time you spend on answer choices - showing you where to focus your attention and where not to -- so you can save time and still answer confidently and accurately.

During your SC studies, we encourage you to follow along expert video explanations to guide you in your thought process.

Here is a Google Sheet with links to OG SC video explanations:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f_ckd ... H1HmTgctJI

You can get more videos like these as a member at GMAT Pill:

http://www.gmatpill.com
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Stern '21
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 14:30
Do you have any such document for RC ?Gmat pill plz share

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2018, 08:13
Hi sanathadiga,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so after just 5 weeks of study you should not expect to have 'mastered' any of the material/concepts just yet. That having been said, it's possible that "your way" of studying has gotten you 'stuck' at a particular score level - and you will have to learn and practice the proper Tactics to get 'unstuck.'

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What study materials have you used so far?
2) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
3) What is your goal score?
4) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 13:42
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi sanathadiga,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so after just 5 weeks of study you should not expect to have 'mastered' any of the material/concepts just yet. That having been said, it's possible that "your way" of studying has gotten you 'stuck' at a particular score level - and you will have to learn and practice the proper Tactics to get 'unstuck.'

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
2) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the reply. Here are the answers to the questions:

Studies:
Manhattan guides for quant, og questions for practice ( mostly quant and CR)

E-gmat videos for verbal (haven't started RC ..but i am quite comfortable with CR & RC )

Gmat club resources

Quant Q41-Q44 . I know I need to improve a lot here as well :(

Verbal : Q20-Q22

Goals:
Touching 700

October 1st week

For the second rounds by Dec

To 5 Canadian B schools

Hope using this info you can help me by guiding me towards right path.

Thanks,
Sanath

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 17:58
Hi Sanath,

There are certain subjects in the GMAT that require more 'technical' knowledge than others. For example, Geometry questions often require that you have knowledge of specific math formulas to get the correct answer. Sentence Corrections have that similar requirement (but instead of math formulas, you need to know grammar/idiom rules). To consistently hit 700+, you're going to need to have all of that necessary knowledge AND you'll need to do organized work on your pad AND you'll need to avoid making silly/little mistakes. Training to score at that level takes a certain amount of time and effort - and approximately 90% of Test Takers either CAN'T or WON'T do what it takes to EARN that Score.

With an early October Test Date, you have plenty of time to study and improve, but you'll have to be really efficient with your studies going forward. Beyond doing lots of practice problems though, you need consistent, professional guidance, so that you can learn all of the patterns, tactics and 'secrets' of the GMAT (without having to try to figure out all of that stuff on your own). You would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some kind (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led). Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at our site (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional question, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 18:52
Hi Sanathadiga,

I’m glad you reached out and I’m happy to help. First and foremost, it would be helpful to know your baseline GMAT score as well as your GMAT score goal, so I can provide some tailored advice. Could you please, in short order, take an official MBA.com practice exam and report back with your score breakdown? Once I know how far you are from your score goal, I can offer specific advice.

In the meantime, you may find it helpful to check out my article about
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Good luck!

Jeffery Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Need your guidance to save my dream &nbs [#permalink] 14 Jul 2018, 18:52

Need your guidance to save my dream

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap