GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 14 Jul 2020, 15:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Negotiate Scholarships

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Current Student
B
Reviews Badge
Negotiate Scholarships  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2019, 13:02
Hi everyone,

I’m currently negotiating scholarship money at a program and they asked for the acceptance/scholarship letters from the other schools. I am fine with submitting those letters. I’m worried about if the school I’m trying to negotiate with will inform the other schools I got into, and make effect my relationship at those schools? Any advice or input would be greatly be appreciated.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Negotiate Scholarships  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2019, 13:22
Congrats on your admits and good luck with the offers!

Should not be a concern really. There are many reasons why they would not do it and just as many why it would not have any effect on you if they did.

P.S. If they did contact your other program, I am not sure what they would say or do.... however, in the very unlikely scenario that they do, that may better your position at a school you got an offer from and they may offer some last minute $$ to help make you choose them.

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Director
Director
D
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
Schools: Terry '22
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2019, 20:15
Hello folks!
The negotiation of scholarship does not sit down well with me. Is it ethical to do that? If yes ,what makes it so.

Thank you

V

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2019, 21:32
Staphyk wrote:
Hello folks!
The negotiation of scholarship does not sit down well with me. Is it ethical to do that? If yes ,what makes it so.

Thank you

It does not hurt to try but you have to be stylish about it. You can’t just call or email that missions committee and say hey do you have some money for me. However if you have multiple admits, and you are having a hard time With your choice, that missions committee may even appreciate you reaching out and they may be able to do something to make the choice easier. It is all about how you do it.

I can imagine in some cultures it’s not a positive and in the western culture, negotiating is much less common especially with educational situations but since aid seems hit and miss, really no harm in trying. As long as you are honest, sincere, and transparent.

Current Student
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2019, 09:59
Another question. So, the school I was negotiating with offered me a $10,000 annual scholarship. I'm pumped about that, but I didn't give them an actual number. I was hoping for $15,000 or more. Should I continue to renegotiate or does that seem too greedy and would ruin my relationship with the admissions office.
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
S
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2019, 15:59
hajboom wrote:
Another question. So, the school I was negotiating with offered me a $10,000 annual scholarship. I'm pumped about that, but I didn't give them an actual number. I was hoping for $15,000 or more. Should I continue to renegotiate or does that seem too greedy and would ruin my relationship with the admissions office.

If you have any leverage, OR you have a compelling story as to why your profile is worth more scholarship money, OR you're certain an improved offer would help you decide on attending X program, you should continue to negotiate shamelessly. You owe it to your future self to at least try.

I'm not sure why folks would feel funny about this morally/ethically speaking. Is it because these are not-for-profit, academic institutions?

Many of these institutions have billions of dollars in endowment money and they still wildly overcharge their students (at least in part due to guaranteed federal loans for US citizens and to milk tuition money off of international students). And FWIW, especially in professional programs like business and law, negotiation is par for the course (though as bb mentioned doesn't always yield results).

Good luck!
Director
Director
D
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
Schools: Terry '22
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2019, 20:02
Sure bb , Thank you for the enlightenment
bb wrote:
Staphyk wrote:
Hello folks!

Thank you

It does not hurt to try but you have to be stylish about it. You can’t just call or email that missions committee and say hey do you have some money for me. However if you have multiple admits, and you are having a hard time With your choice, that missions committee may even appreciate you reaching out and they may be able to do something to make the choice easier. It is all about how you do it.

I can imagine in some cultures it’s not a positive and in the western culture, negotiating is much less common especially with educational situations but since aid seems hit and miss, really no harm in trying. As long as you are honest, sincere, and transparent.

V

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2019, 20:28
Love it! teleste!

Negotiate shamelessly :-)

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Negotiate Scholarships   [#permalink] 13 May 2019, 20:28

Negotiate Scholarships

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate