It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 10:33

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

No Exam Without passport. Scam or Genuine Mistake

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 1

No Exam Without passport. Scam or Genuine Mistake [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2015, 01:51
This post received
KUDOS
I was not allowed to take my GMAT which was scheduled at 24th Dec 2015 at 1:00 pm in Mumbai, India.
The reason was that i didn't have my passport. Although i did carry other government authorized, valid ID proofs.
My passport was in Indore(600km) from test center, so there was no way i could have produced it in time.
I suggested to produce the passport at Indore Center and may be they could coordinate, to which they obviously refused. There were 4 other people with same problem, hence your requirement certainly is not obvious.The coordinator even told me that the same thing happens with every batch.

Why can't they blatantly specify the requirements in confirmation mail?
I have come to feel that it may not be a genuine mistake but a strategy to make more profit.

I know you must be thinking that i am just another frustrated guy since i lost my hard earned and strenuously saved $250. I certainly wont deny that but i have accepted the fact and have thought about it with a calm mind.
4 cases on an average in one batch at just one test center then imagine the amount they make from one test center.

Am i overthinking or there is somebody else who shares the same thought ?

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 1789 [0], given: 796

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: No Exam Without passport. Scam or Genuine Mistake [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2015, 04:51
siddy14 wrote:
I was not allowed to take my GMAT which was scheduled at 24th Dec 2015 at 1:00 pm in Mumbai, India.
The reason was that i didn't have my passport. Although i did carry other government authorized, valid ID proofs.
My passport was in Indore(600km) from test center, so there was no way i could have produced it in time.
I suggested to produce the passport at Indore Center and may be they could coordinate, to which they obviously refused. There were 4 other people with same problem, hence your requirement certainly is not obvious.The coordinator even told me that the same thing happens with every batch.

I have come to feel that it may not be a genuine mistake but a strategy to make more profit.

I know you must be thinking that i am just another frustrated guy since i lost my hard earned and strenuously saved $250. I certainly wont deny that but i have accepted the fact and have thought about it with a calm mind.
4 cases on an average in one batch at just one test center then imagine the amount they make from one test center.

This is something that I have seen quite a bit of times over with candidates from India. I am from India and it is very surprising to see people do not read the fine print and the rules and regulations that come with their GMAT appointments. Refer to the attached image and you can clearly see passport is a must as an ID proof. Why would you not adhere to the rules and regulations? You are talking about blatantly mentioning in the email, they do talk about going to a particular link (picture 2) in the email.

It is not about money, as a person who is giving GMAT to get into an MBA school where an eye for details will be of immense importance, you should read the policies carefully.
Attachments

Picture 2.jpg
Picture 2.jpg [ 57.08 KiB | Viewed 2038 times ]

Picture 1.jpg
Picture 1.jpg [ 115.09 KiB | Viewed 2041 times ]

Kudos [?]: 1789 [0], given: 796

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2015, 05:39
This post received
KUDOS
Engr2012 wrote:
siddy14 wrote:

This is something that I have seen quite a bit of times over with candidates from India. I am from India and it is very surprising to see people do not read the fine print and the rules and regulations that come with their GMAT appointments. Refer to the attached image and you can clearly see passport is a must as an ID proof. Why would you not adhere to the rules and regulations? You are talking about blatantly mentioning in the email, they do talk about going to a particular link (picture 2) in the email.

It is not about money, as a person who is giving GMAT to get into an MBA school where an eye for details will be of immense importance, you should read the policies carefully.

I think you are slightly missing the point here, i'll redirect you. First you get a confirmation which says that "no matter what kind of ID you are supposed to bring it should be goverment accredited" and then some where in that 10-12 lines you will find this "please go on to mba . com / properID " .
Nevertheless lets accept that they have still mentioned it in email so we should give them the credit but here is the catch when you actually visit the website "mba . com / properID" . In the very starting they have written "
Acceptable forms of ID:

International Travel Passport*
Government-issued driver’s license
Government-issued national/state/province identity card (including European ID card)
Military ID card
"

Now after this there is a whole set of page describing unacceptable form of ID . And then at the end they have written View Country Specific Regulations for special restrictions.
Now tell me does it still seem obvious to you. "special restriction" seriously, that too after 3 clicks and reading three pages which is specifying how government approved and valid IDs are good to go.
This is the reason why you see so many Indians or even people from abroad making the same mistake.

Don't get me wrong but I am not putting blame here i just wanted to share my story and make a naive observation.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2016, 22:26
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The same thing happened with me on 5th Jan 2016. I went on the link in the email and it showed 4 ID's, so I took my Driving Licence. In the center at Delhi I was unable to take my test because I did not show them my passport, which was 300 kms away in Jaipur. I think this is just another way of making money as the link on the email shows 4 acceptable ID's first and then some 20 lines of crap and then there is a link to another page in which you are required to select your country and check which ID is acceptable there. I think the option to check ID acceptable in your country should be right on top of the link and the 4 acceptable ID's section should be removed. This is completely unprofessional as they first feed the test taker with false information. Also, on the website mba . com there is an option to select the country/region right on top, in which I had selected India. If the information and the advertisements on the page change just by selecting the region on top, so should the required ID page.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2016, 18:36
This is also apparent in Singapore. Happened to this other candidate taking the GMAT at the same time as me. She brought her national ID instead of passport and was refused admission. Apparently they are very strict about this (inherently benefits them to be). Thank God I checked the website for country specific requirements the very night before the test and brought my passport instead. Perhaps the confirmation email should consider your test country and be more upfront about it

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2016, 21:06
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The same thing happened with one of my friend's today.He was scheduled to appear in GMAT exam but was refused entry because of absence of passport.? Why could these specifications not given on the id page.Why student has to go within links to get that for India passport is the only valid ID.Inspite of having four other ID's like AAdhar card, driving license etc why in India passport is must for taking test of GMAT.For that fault a person is refused to take test and forefeit the fees.This is unjustified.,The hard earned money of the student should be refunded in this case.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2017, 04:23
Today I also faced the same issue. Just a ploy to rob us of our hard earned money. Why they need to make it a game "find me if you can" to let us know about the ID proof.

Sent from my Lenovo K33a42 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: No Exam Without passport. Scam or Genuine Mistake   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2017, 04:23

No Exam Without passport. Scam or Genuine Mistake

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap