GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 07 Dec 2019, 09:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formatio

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Jul 2009
Posts: 132
No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formatio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Aug 2019, 21:12
3
17
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 804 sessions

95% (03:12) correct 5% (03:06) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 827 sessions

70% (01:25) correct 30% (01:46) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 821 sessions

62% (01:02) correct 38% (01:10) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 4
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 815 sessions

61% (00:39) correct 39% (00:39) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 5
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 777 sessions

96% (00:36) correct 4% (01:00) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 6
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 780 sessions

80% (00:50) correct 20% (01:10) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 7
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 772 sessions

77% (01:06) correct 23% (01:21) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 8
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 726 sessions

92% (00:22) correct 8% (00:27) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formation of the ocean basins has yet been given. The traditional view supposes that the upper mantle of the earth behaves as a liquid when it is subjected to small forces for long periods and that differences in temperature under oceans and continents are sufficient to produce convection in the mantle of the earth with rising convection currents under the mid-ocean ridges and sinking currents under the continents. Theoretically, this convection would carry the continental plates along as though they were on a conveyor belt and would provide the forces needed to produce the split that occurs along the ridge. This view may be correct: it has the advantage that the currents are driven by temperature differences that themselves depend on the position of the continents. Such a back-coupling, in which the position of the moving plate has an impact on the forces that move it,could produce complicated and varying motions.

On the other hand, the theory is implausible because convection does not normally occur along lines. and it certainly does not occur along lines broken by frequent offsets or changes in direction, as the ridge is. Also it is difficult to see how the theory applies to the plate between the Mid-Atlantic Ridge and the ridge in the Indian Ocean. This plate is growing on both sides, and since there is no intermediate trench, the two ridges must be moving apart. It would be odd if the rising convection currents kept exact pace with them. An alternative theory is that the sinking part of the plate, which is denser than the hotter surrounding mantle, pulls the rest of the plate after it. Again it is difficult to see how this applies to the ridge in the South Atlantic, where neither the African nor the American plate has a sinking part.

Another possibility is that the sinking plate cools the neighboring mantle and produces convection currents that move the plates. This last theory is attractive because it gives some hope of explaining the enclosed seas, such as the Sea of Japan. These seas have a typical oceanic floor, except that the floor is overlaid by several kilometers of sediment. Their floors have probably been sinking for long periods. It seems possible that a sinking current of cooled mantle material on the upper side of the plate might be the cause of such deep basins. The enclosed seas are an important feature of the earth's surface, and seriously require explanation in because, addition to the enclosed seas that are developing at present behind island arcs, there are a number of older ones of possibly similar origin, such as the Gulf of Mexico, the Black Sea, and perhaps the North Sea.
1. According to the traditional view of the origin of the ocean basins, which of the following is sufficient to move the continental plates?

(A) Increases in sedimentation on ocean floors

(B) Spreading of ocean trenches

(C) Movement of mid-ocean ridges

(D) Sinking of ocean basins

(E) Differences in temperature under oceans and continents.


Spoiler: :: OA
E


2. It can be inferred from the passage that, of the following, the deepest sediments would be found in the

(A) Indian Ocean
(B) Black Sea
(C) Mid-Atlantic
(D) South Atlantic
(E) Pacific


Spoiler: :: OA
B


3. The author refers to a "conveyor belt" (highlighted text) in order to

(A) illustrate the effects of convection in the mantle.
(B) show how temperature differences depend on the positions of the continents.
(C) demonstrate the linear nature of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.
(D) describe the complicated motions made possible by back-coupling.
(E) account for the rising currents under certain mid-ocean ridges.


Spoiler: :: OA
A


4. The author regards the traditional view of the origin of the oceans with

(A) slight apprehension
(B) absolute indifference
(C) indignant anger
(D) complete disbelief
(E) guarded skepticism


Spoiler: :: OA
E


5. According to the passage, which of the following are separated by a plate that is growing on both sides?

(A) The Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Japan
(B) The South Atlantic Ridge and the North Sea Ridge
(C) The Gulf of Mexico and the South Atlantic Ridge
(D) The Mid-Atlantic Ridge and the Indian Ocean Ridge
(E) The Black Sea and the Sea of Japan


Spoiler: :: OA
D


6. Which of the following, if it could be demonstrated, would most support the traditional view of ocean formation?

(A) Convection usually occurs along lines.
(B) The upper mantle behaves as a dense solid.
(C) Sedimentation occurs at a constant rate.
(D) Sinking plates cool the mantle.
(E) Island arcs surround enclosed seas.


Spoiler: :: OA
A


7. According to the passage, the floor of the Black Sea can best be compared to a

(A) rapidly moving conveyor belt
(B) slowly settling foundation
(C) rapidly expanding balloon
(D) violently erupting volcano
(E) slowly eroding mountain


Spoiler: :: OA
B


8. Which of the following titles would best describe the content of the passage?

(A) A Description of the Oceans of the World
(B) Several Theories of Ocean Basin Formation
(C) The Traditional View of the Oceans
(D) Convection and Ocean Currents
(E) Temperature Differences Among the Oceans of the World


Spoiler: :: OA
B


Originally posted by sher676 on 31 Jul 2009, 21:12.
Last edited by SajjadAhmad on 15 Aug 2019, 21:12, edited 8 times in total.
Updated - Complete topic (159).
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2008
Posts: 9
Re: No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formatio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Aug 2009, 08:59
I also selected "B" as right answer but the word "Several" doesnt look good on title.
I chose this option as found it is closest to passage, but i'm still not convinced with the answer.

Looking for someone to give somemore explanation why D is incorrect.

-STL
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Posts: 154
Location: India
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formatio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2011, 08:22
1
cdowwe wrote:
Why is #4 not D

He says the theory is implausible, meaning disbelief right.


The reason D does not qualify is because he doesn't regard it with "complete disbelief". Evidence of this can be found from line 15 onwards, where he clearly mentions his reasons why it can be accepted.

If it were complete disbelief, there would be no mention of this.
_________________
petrifiedbutstanding
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2011
Posts: 7
Re: No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formatio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2011, 08:36
1
1.E (line 6-8) differences in temperature under oceans and continents are sufficient to produce convection

2.B (47-51) Their floors have probably been sinking for long periods. It seems possible that a sinking current of cooled mantle material on the upper side of the plate might be the cause of such deep basins.

3.B (12-14) Theoretically, this convection would carry the continental plates along as though they were on a conveyor belt

4.E (I originally picked A...) (15,22) This view may be correct...On the other hand, the theory is implausible

5.D (26-29) Also it is difficult to see how the theory applies to the plate between the Mid-Atlantic Ridge and the ridge in the Indian Ocean. This plate is growing on both sides...

6.A (22-24) Opposite of: ...On the other hand, the theory is implausible because convection does not normally occur along lines.

7.B (47-48) Their floors have probably been sinking for long periods.

8.B (1-3 + discussion of views) No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formation of the ocean basins has yet been given.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Oct 2015
Posts: 14
Re: No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formatio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2015, 22:13
4. The author regards the traditional view of the origin of the oceans with
(A) slight apprehension
(B) absolute indifference
(C) indignant anger
(D) complete disbelief
(E) guarded skepticism

the author as a whole doesn't accept the traditional view so apprehension does not seem to correctly fit in. The author points out many flaws of this theory but each
with substantial evidence. So we have "this view may be correct" on for option (A) but "implausible", "certainly does not", "difficult to see" for option (E). So option (E)
is definitely a better choice.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2015
Posts: 8
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
Re: No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formatio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2016, 00:48
1
Marcab wrote:
Can anyone throw some light o why A is wrong in q-4?

The author does not regard the traditional view with apprehension (refer to the literal meaning) at all. The author accepts that the view may be correct as stated in " This view may be correct:". However, the author cites another view that starts as- "On the other hand, the theory is implausible". Hence, it's clearly a guarded skepticism.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
V
Joined: 28 Mar 2017
Posts: 1192
Location: India
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Re: No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formatio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2017, 01:50
2
Damn I don't believe I got all correct in 12 minutes 10 seconds.

Quote:
Part of New RC Series- Please check this link for more questions

No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formation of the ocean basins has yet been given. The traditional view supposes that the upper mantle of the earth behaves as a liquid when it is subjected to small forces for long periods and that differences in temperature under oceans and continents are sufficient to produce convection in the mantle of the earth with rising convection currents under the mid-ocean ridges and sinking currents under the continents. Theoretically, this convection would carry the continental plates along as though they were on a conveyor belt and would provide the forces needed to produce the split that occurs along the ridge. This view may be correct: it has the advantage that the currents are driven by temperature differences that themselves depend on the position of the continents. Such a back-coupling, in which the position of the moving plate has an impact on the forces that move it,could produce complicated and varying motions.

On the other hand, the theory is implausible because convection does not normally occur along lines. and it certainly does not occur along lines broken by frequent offsets or changes in direction, as the ridge is. Also it is difficult to see how the theory applies to the plate between the Mid-Atlantic Ridge and the ridge in the Indian Ocean. This plate is growing on both sides, and since there is no intermediate trench, the two ridges must be moving apart. It would be odd if the rising convection currents kept exact pace with them. An alternative theory is that the sinking part of the plate, which is denser than the hotter surrounding mantle, pulls the rest of the plate after it. Again it is difficult to see how this applies to the ridge in the South Atlantic, where neither the African nor the American plate has a sinking part.

Another possibility is that the sinking plate cools the neighboring mantle and produces convection currents that move the plates. This last theory is attractive because it gives some hope of explaining the enclosed seas, such as the Sea of Japan. These seas have a typical oceanic floor, except that the floor is overlaid by several kilometers of sediment. Their floors have probably been sinking for long periods. It seems possible that a sinking current of cooled mantle material on the upper side of the plate might be the cause of such deep basins. The enclosed seas are an important feature of the earth's surface, and seriously require explanation in because, addition to the enclosed seas that are developing at present behind island arcs, there are a number of older ones of possibly similar origin, such as the Gulf of Mexico, the Black Sea, and perhaps the North Sea.
1. According to the traditional view of the origin of the ocean basins, which of the following is sufficient to move the continental plates?

(A) Increases in sedimentation on ocean floors

(B) Spreading of ocean trenches

(C) Movement of mid-ocean ridges

(D) Sinking of ocean basins

(E) Differences in temperature under oceans and continents.
Lines from first para: "This view may be correct: it has the advantage that the currents are driven by temperature differences that themselves depend on the position of the continents"


Spoiler: :: OA
E


2. It can be inferred from the passage that, of the following, the deepest sediments would be found in the

(A) Indian Ocean
(B) Black Sea - Lines form the para: "These seas have a typical oceanic floor, except that the floor is overlaid by several kilometers of sediment"
(C) Mid-Atlantic
(D) South Atlantic
(E) Pacific


Spoiler: :: OA
B


3. The author refers to a "conveyor belt " in line 13 in order to

(A) illustrate the effects of convection in the mantle. -The author just wants to give an example
(B) show how temperature differences depend on the positions of the continents.
(C) demonstrate the linear nature of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.
(D) describe the complicated motions made possible by back-coupling.
(E) account for the rising currents under certain mid-ocean ridges.


Spoiler: :: OA
A


4. The author regards the traditional view of the origin of the oceans with

(A) slight apprehension -The author's tone is not alarming/full of fear
(B) absolute indifference -incorrect
(C) indignant anger -incorrect
(D) complete disbelief -incorrect
(E) guarded skepticism -Correct. Author is doubtful


Spoiler: :: OA
E


5. According to the passage, which of the following are separated by a plate that is growing on both sides?

(A) The Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Japan
(B) The South Atlantic Ridge and the North Sea Ridge
(C) The Gulf of Mexico and the South Atlantic Ridge
(D) The Mid-Atlantic Ridge and the Indian Ocean Ridge -Lines from the second para: "Also it is difficult to see how the theory applies to the plate between the Mid-Atlantic Ridge and the ridge in the Indian Ocean. "
(E) The Black Sea and the Sea of Japan


Spoiler: :: OA
D


6. Which of the following, if it could be demonstrated, would most support the traditional view of ocean formation?

(A) Convection usually occurs along lines. -Lines from 3 para: "the theory is implausible because convection does not normally occur along lines. and it certainly does not occur along lines"
(B) The upper mantle behaves as a dense solid.
(C) Sedimentation occurs at a constant rate.
(D) Sinking plates cool the mantle.
(E) Island arcs surround enclosed seas.


Spoiler: :: OA
A


7. According to the passage, the floor of the Black Sea can best be compared to a

(A) rapidly moving conveyor belt -No
(B) slowly settling foundation - As per the last para, its settling deep slowly
(C) rapidly expanding balloon -No
(D) violently erupting volcano -No
(E) slowly eroding mountain -No


Spoiler: :: OA
B


8. Which of the following titles would best describe the content of the passage?

(A) A Description of the Oceans of the World
(B) Several Theories of Ocean Basin Formation - Correct. The author talks about various theories in the passage
(C) The Traditional View of the Oceans
(D) Convection and Ocean Currents
(E) Temperature Differences Among the Oceans of the World


Spoiler: :: OA
B

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 14 Oct 2017
Posts: 235
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Re: No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formatio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2018, 09:40
lary301254M7 wrote:
what is the difference between "guarded skepticism" and "slight appreciation"?

This is the only question I missed.

Hi lary301254M7,

you actually quoted the second word incorrectly, because it is "slight apprehension".

Apprehension is something like a fear, a hunch or a state of being worried - atleast from my understanding. You answered all the other question correctly so I guess you know that the author doesn't fear the traditional theory.

In contrast to that, it can be inferred that the author questions the tradtional theory and hence he is sceptic. Thus, E) is the best choice.

I hope that helps :-)
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 20 Sep 2016
Posts: 641
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formatio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 00:13
GMATNinja mikemcgarry

can you suggest me some tips or any kind of tactic i can use when i dont really know the meaning of the word.
For Q4 , author's tone towards traditional view i chose A . Now i did not know the meaning of apprehension and so tried to find it's root word and reached to apprehend (of which i had no idea ).

though i knew the meaning of choice E and agree that it is right, i would like to know what to do in such situations as such words sometimes are hard to comprehend.
please give some advice
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2993
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formatio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2018, 15:20
AdityaHongunti wrote:
GMATNinja mikemcgarry

can you suggest me some tips or any kind of tactic i can use when i dont really know the meaning of the word.
For Q4 , author's tone towards traditional view i chose A . Now i did not know the meaning of apprehension and so tried to find it's root word and reached to apprehend (of which i had no idea ).

though i knew the meaning of choice E and agree that it is right, i would like to know what to do in such situations as such words sometimes are hard to comprehend.
please give some advice

If you don't understand some of the answer choices, all you can really do is rely on process of elimination as far as it will go. If you understand 4 of 5 answer choices well enough to eliminate or keep them, then your move is to just pick the best choice and move on.

This is obviously true when the 4 choices you understand can all be eliminated. But it's still true when you can eliminate 3 choices you understand, and one of the remaining choices seems like the best one -- and I think you're saying that you knew that (E) was a better answer than (A), so the choice sounds like it was fairly clear.

Also, on this particular question type — where each choice contains two words and both must be correct for the choice to be correct — you can attempt to eliminate based purely on one of those two words. You may not be certain what "apprehension" means, but you do know what "slightly" means, and you can determine whether this matches the degree of how this author regards the traditional view. Following through with this example, (B) would be a pretty straightforward elimination, even if we didn't understand the meaning of "indifferent." This tactic might not get you all THAT far, but it can be better than nothing in some cases.

And in the (perhaps very) long run, reading more good, challenging materials will help prevent the vocabulary problem from happening at all. Some suggested reading materials are available here and here.

I hope this helps!
_________________
GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (we're hiring!) | GMAT Club Verbal Expert | Instagram | Blog | Bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 02 Sep 2018
Posts: 60
Location: United States
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formatio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 19:23
lary301254M7

Para 1:
If you read through the first para, the author introduced formation of the ocean basins. The author explains ‘traditional view’, but doesn’t reject it directly. Instead of that, author explains the ‘theoretical view’. This means, author provides some soft of explanation which may not be practical.

then in the para 2:
The author calls traditional theory as ‘implausible’ and then gives an alternative version.

slight apprehension: for me, if i relate para 1 & para 2 then author doesn’t seem apprehensive (worried, tensed, fearful about the outcome).
hence, the option “guarded skepticism” is more appropriate as the Author calls the traditional theory as ‘implausible’. he didn’t straightaway reject the traditional view but gave ‘so called theoretical ‘ explanation as well.
So author is skeptic about truthiness of traditional view.

I hope this is clear.


Please give kudos.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 02 Sep 2018
Posts: 60
Location: United States
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formatio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2018, 20:01
AdityaHongunti wrote:
GMATNinja mikemcgarry

can you suggest me some tips or any kind of tactic i can use when i dont really know the meaning of the word.
For Q4 , author's tone towards traditional view i chose A . Now i did not know the meaning of apprehension and so tried to find it's root word and reached to apprehend (of which i had no idea ).

though i knew the meaning of choice E and agree that it is right, i would like to know what to do in such situations as such words sometimes are hard to comprehend.
please give some advice


AdityaHongunti : try adapting below process. see if you need more explanation. I understand your problem. even i wasn’t 100% sure of the meaning of words in choices A, B and E. But This is how i read the para and interpreted the tone.

GMATNinja: thank you, my legend, for taking time out and giving some ideas. do let me know if you think my approach will work. again, you are right, i went more by elimination method.

Para 1:
If you read through the first para, the author introduced formation of the ocean basins. The author explains ‘traditional view’, but doesn’t reject it directly . Instead of that, author explains the ‘theoretical view’. This means, author provides some soft of 'probable' explanation.

then in the para 2:
The author calls traditional theory as ‘implausible’ and then gives an alternative version. Author supports the version by connecting it to an example of some ocean or land.

Para 3;
Author further provides another opinion and again provides sufficient examples.

Overall:
So, author introduced a topic and gave a theoretical explanation. Then author provided 2 counter views and supported each view with some examples. Author didn’t sound very confident in supporting a particular view. Author kept giving some examples.

now, i started going through each choices:
(A) slight apprehension :
My view: Let’s ignore apprehension and concentrate on ‘slight’. well, author didn’t sound like talking “slightly”. author always gave some explanations. so not a correct choice.

(B) absolute indifference
My view: again, let’s ignore ‘indifference’ and concentrate on ‘absolute’. author didn’t support any options ‘absolutely’. he jumped from one suggestion to another. so not a correct choice.

(C) indignant anger :
My view: Wow, WTF is ‘indignant’; author surely didn’t look angry. so not a correct choice.

(D) complete disbelief
My view: hell no, author always supported views with some examples, so clearly, this is not a correct option.

(E) guarded skepticism
My view: even though i didn’t know skepticism , i thought “guarded” meant author supported/explained. yes, author did gave alternate theories and provided examples.

hence i thought E was the most optimal.


I hope this is clear.


Please give kudos.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
P
Joined: 27 Dec 2016
Posts: 309
CAT Tests
Re: No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formatio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Nov 2018, 17:18
Could someone please help explain to me why option B is correct for Q7? From what line(s), can we specifically refer to to say that the floor of the Black Sea can be compared to a "slowly settling foundation"?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
User avatar
D
Status: GMAT and GRE tutor
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 2993
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formatio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2018, 21:26
csaluja wrote:
Could someone please help explain to me why option B is correct for Q7? From what line(s), can we specifically refer to to say that the floor of the Black Sea can be compared to a "slowly settling foundation"?

The only mention of the Black Sea comes at the very end of paragraph 3. So what's up with paragraph 3?

This paragraph presents a theory that explains "the enclosed seas," which the author describes as "overlaid by several kilometers of sediment" and "sinking for long periods." Then the author states plainly that the Gulf of Mexico, the Black Sea, and perhaps the North Sea have similar origins to the enclosed seas developing today. So the Black Sea is one example of an enclosed sea, whose basin has formed from sediment that has sunk atop its floor over a long period of time (in other words, a slowly settling foundation).

I hope this helps connect the dots -- er, i mean, the sedimentary layers. :-o
_________________
GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (we're hiring!) | GMAT Club Verbal Expert | Instagram | Blog | Bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal: RC | CR | SC

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars: all videos by topic

SC articles & resources: How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

RC, CR, and other articles & resources: All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations: All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button; be specific about your question, and tag @GMATNinja. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 13 Jun 2019
Posts: 2
Re: No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formatio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2019, 00:22
Essence of the passage should be formation of ocean basins and various theories put forward to it. so B.
D however, says convection and ocean which is very far to the essence.
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Apr 2019
Posts: 11
Re: No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formatio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2019, 00:51
[quote="mendelay"][quote="lalmanistl"]
Looking for someone to give somemore explanainatio


This is my first reply...pardon me for any upload error...
How I deduced the main point of the passage :
The passage presents three different theories in respect of ocean basins...in which the convection part comes as a part of process for the theory
The main point of the passage is regarding ocean basins...as brought out in first few lines of the passage...the entailed process may include any phenomenon describing that particular theory...
Even if the convection part is removed from the theory, it does not effect the passage will not have any effect and the passage will still make sense may be with some theory which includes some other reason...
May be if it's of some help ...

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 13 Apr 2019
Posts: 181
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE: General Management (Retail)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formatio  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2019, 05:37
gmatexam439 wrote:
Damn I don't believe I got all correct in 12 minutes 10 seconds.

Quote:
Part of New RC Series- Please check this link for more questions

No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formation of the ocean basins has yet been given. The traditional view supposes that the upper mantle of the earth behaves as a liquid when it is subjected to small forces for long periods and that differences in temperature under oceans and continents are sufficient to produce convection in the mantle of the earth with rising convection currents under the mid-ocean ridges and sinking currents under the continents. Theoretically, this convection would carry the continental plates along as though they were on a conveyor belt and would provide the forces needed to produce the split that occurs along the ridge. This view may be correct: it has the advantage that the currents are driven by temperature differences that themselves depend on the position of the continents. Such a back-coupling, in which the position of the moving plate has an impact on the forces that move it,could produce complicated and varying motions.

On the other hand, the theory is implausible because convection does not normally occur along lines. and it certainly does not occur along lines broken by frequent offsets or changes in direction, as the ridge is. Also it is difficult to see how the theory applies to the plate between the Mid-Atlantic Ridge and the ridge in the Indian Ocean. This plate is growing on both sides, and since there is no intermediate trench, the two ridges must be moving apart. It would be odd if the rising convection currents kept exact pace with them. An alternative theory is that the sinking part of the plate, which is denser than the hotter surrounding mantle, pulls the rest of the plate after it. Again it is difficult to see how this applies to the ridge in the South Atlantic, where neither the African nor the American plate has a sinking part.

Another possibility is that the sinking plate cools the neighboring mantle and produces convection currents that move the plates. This last theory is attractive because it gives some hope of explaining the enclosed seas, such as the Sea of Japan. These seas have a typical oceanic floor, except that the floor is overlaid by several kilometers of sediment. Their floors have probably been sinking for long periods. It seems possible that a sinking current of cooled mantle material on the upper side of the plate might be the cause of such deep basins. The enclosed seas are an important feature of the earth's surface, and seriously require explanation in because, addition to the enclosed seas that are developing at present behind island arcs, there are a number of older ones of possibly similar origin, such as the Gulf of Mexico, the Black Sea, and perhaps the North Sea.
1. According to the traditional view of the origin of the ocean basins, which of the following is sufficient to move the continental plates?

(A) Increases in sedimentation on ocean floors

(B) Spreading of ocean trenches

(C) Movement of mid-ocean ridges

(D) Sinking of ocean basins

(E) Differences in temperature under oceans and continents.
Lines from first para: "This view may be correct: it has the advantage that the currents are driven by temperature differences that themselves depend on the position of the continents"


Spoiler: :: OA
E


2. It can be inferred from the passage that, of the following, the deepest sediments would be found in the

(A) Indian Ocean
(B) Black Sea - Lines form the para: "These seas have a typical oceanic floor, except that the floor is overlaid by several kilometers of sediment"
(C) Mid-Atlantic
(D) South Atlantic
(E) Pacific


Spoiler: :: OA
B


3. The author refers to a "conveyor belt " in line 13 in order to

(A) illustrate the effects of convection in the mantle. -The author just wants to give an example
(B) show how temperature differences depend on the positions of the continents.
(C) demonstrate the linear nature of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge.
(D) describe the complicated motions made possible by back-coupling.
(E) account for the rising currents under certain mid-ocean ridges.


Spoiler: :: OA
A


4. The author regards the traditional view of the origin of the oceans with

(A) slight apprehension -The author's tone is not alarming/full of fear
(B) absolute indifference -incorrect
(C) indignant anger -incorrect
(D) complete disbelief -incorrect
(E) guarded skepticism -Correct. Author is doubtful


Spoiler: :: OA
E


5. According to the passage, which of the following are separated by a plate that is growing on both sides?

(A) The Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Japan
(B) The South Atlantic Ridge and the North Sea Ridge
(C) The Gulf of Mexico and the South Atlantic Ridge
(D) The Mid-Atlantic Ridge and the Indian Ocean Ridge -Lines from the second para: "Also it is difficult to see how the theory applies to the plate between the Mid-Atlantic Ridge and the ridge in the Indian Ocean. "
(E) The Black Sea and the Sea of Japan


Spoiler: :: OA
D


6. Which of the following, if it could be demonstrated, would most support the traditional view of ocean formation?

(A) Convection usually occurs along lines. -Lines from 3 para: "the theory is implausible because convection does not normally occur along lines. and it certainly does not occur along lines"
(B) The upper mantle behaves as a dense solid.
(C) Sedimentation occurs at a constant rate.
(D) Sinking plates cool the mantle.
(E) Island arcs surround enclosed seas.


Spoiler: :: OA
A


7. According to the passage, the floor of the Black Sea can best be compared to a

(A) rapidly moving conveyor belt -No
(B) slowly settling foundation - As per the last para, its settling deep slowly
(C) rapidly expanding balloon -No
(D) violently erupting volcano -No
(E) slowly eroding mountain -No


Spoiler: :: OA
B


8. Which of the following titles would best describe the content of the passage?

(A) A Description of the Oceans of the World
(B) Several Theories of Ocean Basin Formation - Correct. The author talks about various theories in the passage
(C) The Traditional View of the Oceans
(D) Convection and Ocean Currents
(E) Temperature Differences Among the Oceans of the World


Spoiler: :: OA
B


15 minutes. 2 wrong (#2 and #4) and 6 correct. Disaster results :( :( :(
GMAT Club Bot
Re: No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formatio   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2019, 05:37
Display posts from previous: Sort by

No very satisfactory account of the mechanism that caused the formatio

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne