GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 04:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Non-Native & Zero International Experience

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE: Marketing (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Non-Native & Zero International Experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2017, 07:32
Hi all admission consultant,

I am asking one thing that really bothers me with this MBA applications. Here is the story :

- First : I am a non-native speaker and never studied/worked abroad. While a couple of MBA program require international experience, I do not really worry about this. I lived and worked in a number of cities in Indonesia - not less than 48 cities across Indonesia. I strongly believe that Indonesia is very diverse community - I can show my clear evidence tackling and facing diverse people around Indonesia as a solid proof to face the future business world. Moreover, I have stated my clear career goal, which is want to work in Indonesia. What do you think for this first approach?

- Second : Nonetheless, I also plan my MBA journey carefully. For the same reason, I was quite afraid that I will face a big communication burden in the real MBA class and environment. I don't want to lose my first 2-3 months just to adapt this new world. That's why after resigning in August 2017 (total 102 months work experience), I moved to the UK to learn the culture, language and try to adapt to the international environment. This brings me to enroll a short-term pre-Master program from October to February. Definitely, this gap in employment will bring a red flag to my application. Any idea, feedback for this case?

Thank you very much! Fingercrossed!

There's an app for that - Steve Jobs.

MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
P

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Dec 2017, 07:01
septwibowo wrote:
Hi all admission consultant,

I am asking one thing that really bothers me with this MBA applications. Here is the story :

- First : I am a non-native speaker and never studied/worked abroad. While a couple of MBA program require international experience, I do not really worry about this. I lived and worked in a number of cities in Indonesia - not less than 48 cities across Indonesia. I strongly believe that Indonesia is very diverse community - I can show my clear evidence tackling and facing diverse people around Indonesia as a solid proof to face the future business world. Moreover, I have stated my clear career goal, which is want to work in Indonesia. What do you think for this first approach?

- Second : Nonetheless, I also plan my MBA journey carefully. For the same reason, I was quite afraid that I will face a big communication burden in the real MBA class and environment. I don't want to lose my first 2-3 months just to adapt this new world. That's why after resigning in August 2017 (total 102 months work experience), I moved to the UK to learn the culture, language and try to adapt to the international environment. This brings me to enroll a short-term pre-Master program from October to February. Definitely, this gap in employment will bring a red flag to my application. Any idea, feedback for this case?

Thank you very much! Fingercrossed!

You are good on both accounts, without having to worry any further about them.
From your short post here I see a couple of strengths- a desire to improve yourself and your adaptability. B-schools will value that :)

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

SERVICES| PROFILE DISCUSSION | BLOG

Originally posted by MBADecoder on 12 Dec 2017, 21:49.
Last edited by MBADecoder on 14 Dec 2017, 07:01, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Schools: Wharton
Re: Non-Native & Zero International Experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 00:09
Hi septwibowo,

I would be less concerned about lack of international experience (European programs are more fussy about it), but much more about the gap in employment, more so because it’s current. If you’re applying in the next few months, you would be applying not working anywhere. That’s a big red flag. And giving an international course precedence to build international profile isn't a good way or reason to explain in the application. (If it was part-time along with work, then it was OK.)

Is your current course bridging some gap, may be to reach your next pursuit? If yes, you need to explain it in very certain terms.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)

Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries | Consulting

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE: Marketing (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 01:31
MBADecoder wrote:
You are good on both accounts, without having to worry any further about them.
From your short post here I see a couple of strengths- a desire to improve yourself and your adaptability. B-schools will value that more :)

Thank you for your feedback, so it means that I just need to explain it in the optional essay?

99Colleges wrote:
Hi septwibowo,

I would be less concerned about lack of international experience (European programs are more fussy about it), but much more about the gap in employment, more so because it’s current. If you’re applying in the next few months, you would be applying not working anywhere. That’s a big red flag. And giving an international course precedence to build international profile isn't a good way or reason to explain in the application. (If it was part-time along with work, then it was OK.)

Is your current course bridging some gap, may be to reach your next pursuit? If yes, you need to explain it in very certain terms.

Thank you!
To be honest, this is one that makes me worry so much. In my opinion, this course surely bridging some gap. I need an MBA for my career goal - and I want to make sure that I will not waste my precious MBA time just because I have to adapt the new environment and culture. That's the simple reason why I decided to take this course. Do you have any similar experience like this? I don't want to make any excuse, just tell the truth the reason why I decided this one. Wdyt?

There's an app for that - Steve Jobs.

MBA Decoder Admissions Consultant
P

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 02:28
septwibowo wrote:
Thank you for your feedback, so it means that I just need to explain it in the optional essay?.

Yes, you should explain this in the optional essay. I will address it below

septwibowo wrote:
Thank you!
To be honest, this is one that makes me worry so much. In my opinion, this course surely bridging some gap. I need an MBA for my career goal - and I want to make sure that I will not waste my precious MBA time just because I have to adapt the new environment and culture. That's the simple reason why I decided to take this course. Do you have any similar experience like this? I don't want to make any excuse, just tell the truth the reason why I decided this one. Wdyt?

Now, I don't agree with this reasoning that "I joined the course to become more adaptable to the MBA class". Nobody is expecting you to quit your job to gain "adaptability". I will advise you to focus foremost upon professional and personal growth through this course. Gaining international experience/adaptability is a by-product of studying there, but not the primary motive.

So you will have to be careful about the wording of your optional essay.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
+91 9901566772, +91(80) 40931397
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

SERVICES| PROFILE DISCUSSION | BLOG

VP
VP
P
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2017, 06:31
Argh, it's a bummer that you quit your job. Whenever i see candidates quit their job before applying to b-school I just wish they had consulted someone before doing it. Just as important as getting into b-school is getting an internship and getting a job - when you don't have one, it kind of reduces your perceived employability. It wont be a good look to internship recruiters that you have this gap. The school is basically "selling" you to recruiters and so they want you to appear viable with current skills and a solid work trajectory. So, I would try to figure out a part-time internship (even unpaid) to cover this gap to show you working towards your desired MBA internship goal. As others have stated it is very important to articulate in your application how this gap period and program is necessary and required for you to leave your position (even if you have to fudge a little about the reason.) Leaving your job to study English or become acclimated doesn't stand up unfortunately.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Non-Native & Zero International Experience &nbs [#permalink] 13 Dec 2017, 06:31

Non-Native & Zero International Experience

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap