Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Weakenx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 996 [53]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 997 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Nutritionists are advising people to eat more fish, since the omega-3 [#permalink]
Plan suggests that aquaculture cause the decrease in the consumption of wild fish or this plan will not cause decrease in the current fish population in the wild.

Above is the assumption.

Choice D clearly states that aquaculture needs the wild fish as feed for farmed fish.

Thus D is the answer

Sent from my Le X507 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: Nutritionists are advising people to eat more fish, since the omega-3 [#permalink]
nycgirl212 wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, 2nd Edition
Practice Question
Question No.:21
Page: 127
Difficulty:

Nutritionists are advising people to eat more fish, since the omega-3 fatty acids in fish help combat many diseases If everyone took this advice, however, there would not be enough fish in oceans, rivers, and lakes to supply the demand; the oceans are already being overfished. The obvious method to ease the pressure on wild fish populations is for people to increase their consumption of farmed fish.Which of the following, if true, raises the most serious doubt concerning the prospects for success of the solution proposed above?

a) Aquaculture, or fish farming, raises more fish in a given volume of water than are generally present in the wild.
b) Some fish farming, particularly of shrimp and other shellfish, takes places in enclosures in the ocean.
c) There are large expanses of ocean waters that do not contain enough nutrients to support substantial fish populations.
d) The feed for farmed ocean fish is largely made from small wild-caught fish, including the young of many popular food species.
e) Some of the species that are now farmed extensively were not commonly eaten when they were only available in the wild.

Eat fish = Combat diseases
Problem : There is not enough in the oceans and lakes ( If people start consuming fish ) fish due to overfishing
Solution : To ease pressure on wild fish ----> Increase consumption of farmed fish.

(D) Clearly calls into question the solution...

If feed for Farmed fish is made from the small wild-caught fish then the pressure on wild fish is not reduced and hence weakens the conclusion.

Hence the answer will clearly be (D)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Kudos
We are looking for something to weaken the theory : "The obvious method to ease the pressure on wild fish populations is for people to increase their consumption of farmed fish"

Option D is the only one that talks about the fact the wild fish would still keep decreasing as they are the main food for the farmed fishes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
There are 2 assumption that say the pressure on wild fish will not be reduced.
first is that the amount of omega even after increasing the consumption is not sufficient to match the needs for omega of wild. Therefore go to wild.
The second is as mentioned in statement D. Which is weakened.
AC D is correct.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
straight with D.
Merged topics!
Mannheim Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
D is the correct choice - Suggests the increasing consumption of farmed fish would require increased use of wild fish as feed for farmed fish and therefore would not ease pressure on wild fish populations.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 480 Q34 V22
Send PM
Nutritionists are advising people to eat more fish, since the omega-3 fatty acids in fish help combat many diseases. If everyone took this advice, however, there would not be enough fish in oceans, rivers, and lakes to supply the demand; the oceans are already being overfished. The obvious method to ease the pressure on wild fish populations is for people to increase their consumption of farmed fish.

Which of the following, if true, raises the most serious doubt concerning the prospects for success of the solution proposed above?

Mostly all the weaken the argument questions attacks the conclusion so, it’s very important to isolate the conclusion, it makes things easier.

COnclusion: Ease the pressure on wild fish populations is for people to increase their consumption of farmed fish.
Assumption: That this plan will get it's success and that consumtion of farmed fish is not going to impact the wild fish poplulation.

(A) Aquaculture, or fish farming, raises more fish in a given volume of water than are generally present in the wild.
Out of scope.

(B) Some fish farming, particularly of shrimp and other shellfish, takes places in enclosures in the ocean.
Out of scope.

(C) There are large expanses of ocean waters that do not contain enough nutrients to support substantial fish populations.
Not a weakner

(D) The feed for farmed ocean fish is largely made from small wild-caught fish, including the young of many popular food species.
That means farmed ocean fish feeds on small wild fish. This is certainly a weaakner because it has a negative impact on the conclusion.

(E) Some of the species that are now farmed extensively were not commonly eaten when they were only available in the wild.
Again it has no impact on the conclusion of the argument.
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [1]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Which of the following, if true, raises the most serious doubt concerning the prospects for success of the solution proposed above?

Our main CONCLUSION is that people increase consumption of farm fish so as to reduce the pressure on wild fish population.
We have to weaken the conclusion by selecting an answer choice which states the idea that consumption of wild fish population cannot be reduced and consequently the pressure from wild fish shall not be released

(A) Aquaculture, or fish farming, raises more fish in a given volume of water than are generally present in the wild.- Out of Scope answer choice

(B) Some fish farming, particularly of shrimp and other shellfish, takes places in enclosures in the ocean. Out of Scope answer choice

(C) There are large expanses of ocean waters that do not contain enough nutrients to support substantial fish populations. This is a strengthener answer choice as it supports going for farm fish population instead of wild fish hence not a weakener

(D) The feed for farmed ocean fish is largely made from small wild-caught fish, including the young of many popular food species.
CORRECT, a weakener answer choice as if feed for farm fish is made from wild fish it would directly affect wild fish population
(E) Some of the species that are now farmed extensively were not commonly eaten when they were only available in the wild.- Incorrect as this answer choice strengthens the conclusion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2102 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
IMO D - If the feed for farm fish is made from small wild-caught fish it would directly affect wild fish population. The goal was to save wild fish! This would weaken the argument completely.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [0]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Conclusion: to ease pressure on the wild fish population, people should eat more farmed fish.

If we want to weaken this conclusion, we're looking for an answer choice that shows eating more farmed fish would not be beneficial for the wild fish population. (Or may even be harmful.)

D - The feed for farmed ocean fish is largely made from small wild-caught fish, including the young of many popular food species.--- shows that farmed fish require wild fish as food. Thus, when people eat more farmed fish, more wild fish will be required to feed the farmed fish, depleting the very wild fish populations the plan was intended to spare.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [0]
Given Kudos: 117
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
The conclusion the author wants us to believe: The obvious method to ease the pressure on wild fish populations is for people to increase their consumption of farmed fish.

If the farmed fish growth depend on wild fish caught this will not ease the pressure. This is exactly what answer choice D says.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: ISB '20 LBS '21
WE:Accounting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
D is the correct answer choice as it clearly sites the reason that why the pressure from wild fish cannot be reduced.

Hope this helps. Kudos if you find this helpful ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [1]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35 (Online)
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
nycgirl212 wrote:
Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review 2016
Practice Question
Question No.:21
Page: 127

Nutritionists are advising people to eat more fish, since the omega-3 fatty acids in fish help combat many diseases. If everyone took this advice, however, there would not be enough fish in oceans, rivers, and lakes to supply the demand; the oceans are already being overfished. The obvious method to ease the pressure on wild fish populations is for people to increase their consumption of farmed fish.

(A) Aquaculture, or fish farming, raises more fish in a given volume of water than are generally present in the wild.

(B) Some fish farming, particularly of shrimp and other shellfish, takes places in enclosures in the ocean.

(C) There are large expanses of ocean waters that do not contain enough nutrients to support substantial fish populations.

(E) Some of the species that are now farmed extensively were not commonly eaten when they were only available in the wild.

The author concludes that:-

"The pressure on wild fish will be reduced if people increase consumption of farmed fish"

Given :- 1)Nutritionist are advising people to eat more fish.
2)Omega 3 in fish fights disease.
3)If everyone starts eating more fish there won't be enough fish in the ocean,rivers and lakes.
4)The oceans are already over fished.
Here the author assumes the following:-

Assumption :- The pressure on the wild fish will be reduced if people start consuming farm fish.Consuming farm fish will have no affect on the no. of fish in the ocean,rivers and lakes.

Possible weakener:- The statement which states that farm fishing will have effect on the number of fishes in the wild.

Option analysis:-
(A) Aquaculture, or fish farming, raises more fish in a given volume of water than are generally present in the wild.-acts as a strengthener instead

(B) Some fish farming, particularly of shrimp and other shellfish, takes places in enclosures in the ocean.irrelevant to the conclusion

(C) There are large expanses of ocean waters that do not contain enough nutrients to support substantial fish populations.whether the certain portion contains nutrients or not has no effect on whether the farm fishing will ease effect from fish in the wild

(D) The feed for farmed ocean fish is largely made from small wild-caught fish, including the young of many popular food species.-in line with our weakener. Hence correct

(E) Some of the species that are now farmed extensively were not commonly eaten when they were only available in the wild- irrelevant
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi everyone,

After I read this problem, answer choice (D) immediately stuck out to me as the correct answer. That said, I've been trying to get into the habit of finding 4 wrongs answers instead of 1 right one and so I wanted to comment on why the answer choice (E) is out of the running.

I understand why answer choices (A), (B) and (C) are incorrect; however, I can't completely justify why (E) is incorrect.

Quote:

To weaken the conclusion, we need a statement that suggests that farming fish would not relieve the consumption demand of wild-caught fish. Answer choice (E) states that some of the species that are framed a lot weren't commonly eaten (i.e. in demand) when only wild-caught. When I'm considering answer choice (E), stand alone, it seems the statement does confirm that the demand on wild-caught fish would not be relieved. It's only when I compare it to the relative strength of answer choice (D) that I'm able to eliminate it.

GMATNinja is there any chance that you might be able to respond?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM