GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 18:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Of the people who brought about the Reformation, the religious revolut

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Of the people who brought about the Reformation, the religious revolut  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 31 Jul 2018, 20:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

58% (00:50) correct 42% (00:50) wrong based on 1163 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Of the people who brought about the Reformation, the religious revolution that grew out of objections to the doctrines of the medieval church, Martin Luther is the best known of them.

(A) Martin Luther is the best known of them

(B) the best known is Martin Luther

(C) the better known of them was Martin Luther

(D) Martin Luther is better known

(E) the best known one was Martin Luther

Originally posted by Gears46 on 09 Dec 2004, 14:26.
Last edited by Bunuel on 31 Jul 2018, 20:57, edited 3 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: Of the people who brought about the Reformation, the religious revolut  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2005, 11:34
"Best" should be used here because the sentence compares him to all the people (more than two). So, C and D are out.

A is redundant because you already mentioned the people before the modifying phrase.

E is wordy.

B is right. "Of the people...the best known is Martin Luther."
Manager
Manager
Re: Of the people who brought about the Reformation, the religious revolut  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2005, 00:09
Hi All,

the answer is B.
But, I still am not able to reason out why. Is there any rule? Can some one give a detailed anwer why A is wrong?

Krishna
Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2005, 00:45
Krishna,

Why A is wrong...heres my 2 cents....

Of the people who brought about the Reformation, the religious revolution that grew out of objections to the doctrines of the medieval church, Martin Luther is the best known of them .

The sentence begins with "of the people" - this means that the guy being mentioned later on is one among them. So when A says in the latter part of the phrase that Martin Luther....of them.. that of them is redundant!

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Rahul.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2010, 17:07
I think it is B.

The scentence starts with "of the people" - so the correction scentence should start with Martin Luther and so on..
Manager
Manager
Of the people who brought about the Reformation, the religious revolut  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2010, 20:49

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

After you read the sentence, always scan the choices quickly to spot differences. Two choces here use "better"; three use "best." "Better" is used when you compare two people or things. "Best" is used when you compare one person or thing to a whole group. Since you're comparing Martin Luther to ALL the people who brought about the Reformation, you have to use "best." "Them" and "one" in (A) and (E) are ambiguous and unnecessary.

by the way you can take their free test online: http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT/About-the-GMAT/index.html

Trying to make CR and RC my strong points

"If you want my advice, Peter," he said at last, "you've made a mistake already. By asking me. By asking anyone. Never ask people. Not about your work. Don't you know what you want? How can you stand it, not to know?" Ayn Rand

Retired Moderator
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2013, 18:25
Of the people who brought about the Reformation,the religious revolution that grew out of objections to the doctrines of the medieval church,Martin Luther is the best known of them.

(A)Martin Luther is the best known of them.
>>> WRONG. "of them" is redundant, because there is "of the people" at the beginning.

(B)the best known is Martin Luther
>>> WRONG. "The best known" is not a subject, it is adjective. We need a real subject, like "the best known person".

(C)the better known of them was Martin Luther
>>> WRONG. "of them" is redundant. Also, "better" is wrong, we must use superlative comparison form here because there is "OF the people"

(D)Martin Luther is better known
>>> WRONG. we must use superlative comparison here because of "OF the people"

(E)the best known one was Martin Luther.
>>> CORRECT.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3.68

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2017, 21:32
The reason for eliminating E is the absence of antecedent of "one"

Am I wrong?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 20:45
Of the people who brought about the Reformation, the religious revolution that grew out of objections to the doctrines of the medieval church, Martin Luther is the best known of them.

(A) Martin Luther is the best known of them
(B) the best known is Martin Luther
(C) the better known of them was Martin Luther
(D) Martin Luther is better known
(E) the best known one was Martin Luther

bluetrain wrote:
The reason for eliminating E is the absence of antecedent of "one"

Am I wrong?

1. We compare Martin Luther 2 all people, so it is the form "the most" - "the best" ---> C, D are out.

2. A is out. Because construction of the sentence says to us that the underlined part has to start from "the best known".
If it starts as A it will be not a sentence. Some strange sort of clause.

3. And this is the answer to your question, bluetrain, E is out (one of the reasons) because it has "was". But we talk about facts. He was not known, he is known in any times. Another reason is that "one" is totally redundant in E.

So, B
Re: Of the people who brought about the Reformation, the religious revolut &nbs [#permalink] 31 Jul 2018, 20:45

Of the people who brought about the Reformation, the religious revolut

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap