GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Apr 2019, 05:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a complianc

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Posts: 22
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Bocconi '15 (A)
Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a complianc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 14 Apr 2019, 02:53
2
7
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

59% (01:26) correct 41% (01:21) wrong based on 292 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a compliance with MPAA standards, could be seen by children without parental guidance.


A. Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a compliance with MPAA standards,

B. Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, which complied with MPAA standards,

C. Only a few of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, complying with MPAA standards

D. Only a few of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, in which the MPAA standards were complied with,

E. Only a few of the top-grossing films of the 1980s complied with MPAA standards,

Originally posted by rajatr on 16 Apr 2013, 10:29.
Last edited by Bunuel on 14 Apr 2019, 02:53, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic, edited the question and added the OA.
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1052
Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a complianc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2013, 10:43
3
1
Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a compliance with MPAA standards, could be seen by children without parental guidance.

A. Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a compliance with MPAA standards,
"having a compliance with" is wordy and not coincise compared to "complied with"
B.Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, which complied with MPAA standards,
"which" refers to the "few movies": correct. The structure is clear
C.Only a few of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, complying with MPAA standards,
The -ing verb after the comma makes the sentence unclear. What does it modify? The precent noun? The ing after the comma modifies the precedent clause(in this case the text before hasn't got a verb so it's not a clause)
D.Only a few of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, in which the MPAA standards were complied with,
"in which the MPAA standards were complied with", avoid passive if possible, "compiled with" sounds awkward
E.Only a few of the top-grossing films of the 1980s complied with MPAA standards,
Changes the meaning
_________________
It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.
Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 405
Location: India
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Re: Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a complianc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2013, 14:05
rajatr wrote:
Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a compliance with MPAA standards, could be seen by children without parental guidance.


A. Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a compliance with MPAA standards,

B.Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, which complied with MPAA standards,

C.Only a few of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, complying with MPAA standards

D.Only a few of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, in which the MPAA standards were complied with,

E.Only a few of the top-grossing films of the 1980s complied with MPAA standards,


IMO B
A - incorrect ing modifier
C - change of meaning due to shift of modifier. "only a few top-grossing...." as against "of the ...., only a few..."
D - incorrect use of "in which" which has modifier error. Also meaning change same as C
E - meaning change same as C. use of "that" was required
_________________
"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++



-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: http://gmatclub.com/forum/consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: http://gmatclub.com/forum/all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518
Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Posts: 221
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Reviews Badge
Re: Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a complianc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2014, 09:41
A. Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a compliance with MPAA standards,
"having a compliance" seems to indicate that they still have a compliance with MPAA standards, however this additional information should have been presented in the same past tense, in which the sentence is written.

B.Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, which complied with MPAA standards,
Looks correct.

C.Only a few of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, complying with MPAA standards
Meaning change : Even if we ignore comma, this seems to indicate that a few of the "all the films which complied with MPAA standards" however the intended meaning is "all the films in which a few were complied with MPAA standards"


D.Only a few of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, in which the MPAA standards were complied with,
Meaning Change

E.Only a few of the top-grossing films of the 1980s complied with MPAA standards,
Meaning change
_________________
Consider KUDOS if my post helped :)

I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire
'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2874
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a complianc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 12:23
Although C is not grammatically incorrect, option B is preferable because the modifier "which complied with MPAA standards" follows the modifier touch-rule. In absence of B, C would be correct.
(C can be grammatically justified by an exception rule to modifier touch rule, according to which a mission-critical modifier may fall in between a modifier and the noun it refers to. The less important modifier then modifies the noun and the mission-critical modifier together as in option C).
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 15 Jun 2016
Posts: 76
Re: Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a complianc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2017, 00:29
Could you please explain why option B is correct and not c?

There is already an expert reply in the bottom most section, but i am not able to understand it.
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2874
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a complianc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jan 2017, 10:37
VKat wrote:
Could you please explain why option B is correct and not c?

There is already an expert reply in the bottom most section, but i am not able to understand it.


First try to understand the following rules:

Rule A - Modifier touch rule: A noun modifier should ideally touch the noun it modifies.

Rule B.1 - Exception 1 to modifier touch rule: ( The following is an excerpt from Manhattan SC guide explaining the first exception of the touch rule):
In general, noun modifiers must touch their nouns. However, there are a few exceptions to the Touch Rule.
1. A “mission-critical” modifier falls between. This modifier is often an Of phrase that defines the noun. The less important modifier refers to the noun plus the first modifier.
Right: He had a way OF DODGING OPPONENTS that impressed the scouts.
Here, the “mission-critical” modifier of dodging opponents defines the noun way.

Now consider option B and C. Option B is alright as per rule A.
Option C is alright as per rule B.1.

If you still have doubts, please post again.
Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 22 Mar 2014
Posts: 120
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 530 Q45 V20
GPA: 3.91
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a complianc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 07:16
sayantanc2k wrote:
VKat wrote:
Could you please explain why option B is correct and not c?

There is already an expert reply in the bottom most section, but i am not able to understand it.


First try to understand the following rules:

Rule A - Modifier touch rule: A noun modifier should ideally touch the noun it modifies.

Rule B.1 - Exception 1 to modifier touch rule: ( The following is an excerpt from Manhattan SC guide explaining the first exception of the touch rule):
In general, noun modifiers must touch their nouns. However, there are a few exceptions to the Touch Rule.
1. A “mission-critical” modifier falls between. This modifier is often an Of phrase that defines the noun. The less important modifier refers to the noun plus the first modifier.
Right: He had a way OF DODGING OPPONENTS that impressed the scouts.
Here, the “mission-critical” modifier of dodging opponents defines the noun way.

Now consider option B and C. Option B is alright as per rule A.
Option C is alright as per rule B.1.

If you still have doubts, please post again.



Hi Sayantan,

Though I chose the correct ans, I still have some doubts. I eliminated option E, because I think, this option lacks one comma in the end and this made this option inappropriate. But I am not sure why option A is incorrect. Can you please explain?
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2874
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a complianc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2017, 12:44
arunavamunshi1988 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
VKat wrote:
Could you please explain why option B is correct and not c?

There is already an expert reply in the bottom most section, but i am not able to understand it.


First try to understand the following rules:

Rule A - Modifier touch rule: A noun modifier should ideally touch the noun it modifies.

Rule B.1 - Exception 1 to modifier touch rule: ( The following is an excerpt from Manhattan SC guide explaining the first exception of the touch rule):
In general, noun modifiers must touch their nouns. However, there are a few exceptions to the Touch Rule.
1. A “mission-critical” modifier falls between. This modifier is often an Of phrase that defines the noun. The less important modifier refers to the noun plus the first modifier.
Right: He had a way OF DODGING OPPONENTS that impressed the scouts.
Here, the “mission-critical” modifier of dodging opponents defines the noun way.

Now consider option B and C. Option B is alright as per rule A.
Option C is alright as per rule B.1.

If you still have doubts, please post again.



Hi Sayantan,

Though I chose the correct ans, I still have some doubts. I eliminated option E, because I think, this option lacks one comma in the end and this made this option inappropriate. But I am not sure why option A is incorrect. Can you please explain?


Why is A wrong?
V-A-N rule states that verbs are preferred to nouns. Hence "which complied" (verb) or "complying" (verbal) is better than "having the compliance".

Why is E wrong?
The past participle "complied.." is wrong - it should be present participle "complying". The following post may help explain:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-gap-in-t ... l#p1796492
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 06 Aug 2018
Posts: 13
Re: Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a complianc  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2019, 04:28
Dear Expert,
I am not able to find our why option D is incorrect, some of the experts are saying that there is a change in meaning in option, whereas some are saying that it is of passive construction, Plesae help me understand the error.

Thanking you in advance
Devesh Joshi
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a complianc   [#permalink] 14 Apr 2019, 04:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Of the top-grossing films of the 1980s, only a few, having a complianc

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.