It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 16:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From an experiment using special extrasensory perception cards, each b

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 30

Re: From an experiment using special extrasensory perception cards, each b [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2016, 01:23
zoezhuyan wrote:
dear experts,

although I picked up D -- proof that, I am afraid that the use of "proof of", "proof for",
appreciate if further explain

thanks a lot
have a nice day
>_~

experts,
HELP PLEASE...

thanks a lot
have a nice day
>_~

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 30

Top Contributor
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)

Kudos [?]: 503 [0], given: 55

GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: 337 Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
Re: From an experiment using special extrasensory perception cards, each b [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2016, 09:06
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED
From an experiment using special extrasensory perception cards, each bearing one of a set of symbols, parapsychologist Joshep Banks Rhine claimed statistical proof for subjects who could use thought transference to identify a card in the dealer's hand.

A. for subjects who could use thought transference to identify a card in the dealer's hand
B. for a card in the dealer's hand to be identified by subjects with thought transference
C. of subjects able to identify with thought transference a card in the dealer's hand
D. that subjects could identify a card in the dealer's hand by using thought transference
E. that subjects are capable to use thought transference for identifying a card in the dealer's hand

Answer analysis:

A) This sentence sounds pretty good other than the preposition "for," which usually indicates an intended recipient. Because the subjects of this experiment are not intended to receive, or benefit from, the results of the experiment, this does not make any logical sense. We also notice "for" being replaced in 3/5 of the answers.
B) Same issue as A. The card is neither the recipient nor the beneficiary of Rhine's claims.
C) Not bad, probably the second best choice, but the word order is suspect. It should say "to identify a card in the dealer's hand with thought transference." In other words, the direct object of the verb should precede the modifying prepositional phrases.
D) Correct. "By" is the best preposition to describe a method or process using a gerund (-ing). "I was able to find my brother by shouting his name into the crowd" sounds better than "I was able to find him with shouting." The "with" construction works only if "with" is preceded by a noun rather than a gerund. For example, "I was able to sink the free throw with a flick of my wrist."
E) "are capable to use" is incorrect. It should say "are capable of using."

--

Please note: as in many cases, the GMAC does not provide the best possible answer here. The best possible answer would use the template "proof of A who could use B to C." In other words, it would address the issue of word priority (placing key phrases earlier in the sentence) by placing the phrase "thought transference" earlier in the sentence.

Best answer(s): From an experiment using special extrasensory perception cards, each bearing one of a set of symbols, parapsychologist Joshep Banks Rhine claimed statistical proof of subjects able to use thought transference to identify a card in the dealer's hand, or of subjects who could use thought transference to identify a card in the dealer's hand.

Harvard grad and 770 GMAT scorer, offering high-quality private GMAT tutoring, both in-person and via Skype, since 2002.

McElroy Tutoring

Kudos [?]: 503 [0], given: 55

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 168 [1], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2017, 02:39
This post received
KUDOS
both "proof +of noun" and "proof +that-clause" are correct idioms.
but we need a logic relation between two entities to make an idiom logic and correct

proof of his existence
is correct
poof of him
is incorrect

this is most basic thinking of GMAT SC.
in our problem, "proof of card, or of subject" is not logic. that is all. nothing more.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 168 [1], given: 916

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 127

Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2017, 07:19
thanhmaitran wrote:
From an experiment using special extrasensory perception cards, each bearing one of a set of symbols, parapsychologist Joshep Banks Rhine claimed statistical proof for subjects who could use thought transference to identify a card in the dealer's hand.

A. for subjects who could use thought transference to identify a card in the dealer's hand
B. for a card in the dealer's hand to be identified by subjects with thought transference
C. of subjects able to identify with thought transference a card in the dealer's hand
D. that subjects could identify a card in the dealer's hand by using thought transference
E. that subjects are capable to use thought transference for identifying a card in the dealer's hand

I was stuck between 'D' & 'E'.

Can someone throw some light for meaning in option 'D' as I thought that " by using thought transference " in option 'D' is ambiguous.

Its as if Rhine was using thought transference.

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 127

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 46

GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Apr 2017, 07:57
Hi,

Let me try solving your queries:

Sentence: From an experiment using special extrasensory perception cards, each bearing one of a set of symbols, parapsychologist Josheph Banks Rhine claimed statistical proof for subjects who could use thought transference to identify a card in the dealer's hand.

Option D: In Option D " that subjects could identify a card in the dealer's hand by using thought transference" is a clause. Subject of the clause is "subjects" and verb is "could identify". "by using thought transference" logically refers to the Subject ("subjects") of this very clause - it provides information about how the action was performed.

Option E: "Capable of" is the appropriate idiom when you want to show "an achievable result by an entity". Example - You are capable of scoring above 700; good test takers are capable of keeping their cool, etc.

In the same breath, let me also mention that "able to" in option C is not wrong, it's how its used is wrong. If the choice C had read something like this - subjects being able to.. then the "able to" usage would have been correct. (I'm not delving into the entire choice, just talking about "able to")

SOMETHING VERY IMPORTANT

When the following verbs are used as reporting verbs, they usually need to be followed by a "that" clause, which contains the details of what is being reported.
CLAIM, ASSERT, REPORT, PRESENT, STATE, SUGGEST, PROOF, etc (not an exhaustive list)

Hope this helps!

Best,
SS18

ynk wrote:
thanhmaitran wrote:

I was stuck between 'D' & 'E'.

Can someone throw some light for meaning in option 'D' as I thought that " by using thought transference " in option 'D' is ambiguous.

Its as if Rhine was using thought transference.

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 46

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 23:57
If we vertically scan first few words of answer choices, we can see split of ‘for’ , ‘of’ and ‘that’. We use ‘that’ to state something.
Read the portion before underline part ‘claimed statistical proof’. Here we need ‘that’ because ‘parapsychologist Joshep Banks….’ is stating. Eliminate A, B and C.
In option E, ‘capable to’ is wrong idiom. Correct idiom is ‘capable of’. Eliminate E.

Hence C is the correct answer.

Founder, GMAT Mantra
One to One Live Online GMAT Coaching
http://www.gmatmantra.com

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Verbal Forum Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 195

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 14:54

- As Joshep Banks Rhine is claiming a proof here, the usage of "for" will be inappropriate if you read the entire sentence. Reading the sentence with "for" means we are explaining what the proof is for and not explaining what the proof is.

- As Joshep Banks Rhine is claiming a proof here, the usage of "for" will be inappropriate if you read the entire sentence. Reading the sentence with "for" means we are explaining what the proof is for and not explaining what the proof is.

- As Joshep Banks Rhine is claiming a proof here, the usage of "of" will be inappropriate if you read the entire sentence. Reading the sentence with "of" means we are explaining what the proof is of and not explaining what the proof is.

- CORRECT

"capable to use" is incorrect should be "capable of using"

Hence, Answer is D

Did you like the answer? Hit Kudos :good

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 195

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 20

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2017, 23:30
Though answer choice D is correct but than it is in passive voice. Can we mark answer with passive voice

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 20

1 KUDOS received
Mannheim Thread Master
S

Kudos [?]: 27 [1], given: 51

GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V39
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 03:44
This post received
KUDOS
A, and B - Incorrect ... proof for.. definitely out
C - of and unnecessary elongation of sentence
So D and E: left
D - could identify is much better - Correct
E- are capable to use... incorrect

2017-2018 MBA Deadlines

Threadmaster for B-school Discussions
Class of 2019: Mannheim Business School
Class 0f 2020: HHL Leipzig

Kudos [?]: 27 [1], given: 51

Re: From an experiment using special extrasensory perception cards, each b   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2017, 03:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 29 posts ] 

From an experiment using special extrasensory perception cards, each b

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap