It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 19:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

From an experiment using special extrasensory perception cards, each b

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
From an experiment using special extrasensory perception cards, each b [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2015, 04:58
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

78% (01:03) correct 22% (02:00) wrong based on 1845 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

From an experiment using special extrasensory perception cards, each bearing one of a set of symbols, parapsychologist Joshep Banks Rhine claimed statistical proof for subjects who could use thought transference to identify a card in the dealer's hand.

A. for subjects who could use thought transference to identify a card in the dealer's hand
B. for a card in the dealer's hand to be identified by subjects with thought transference
C. of subjects able to identify with thought transference a card in the dealer's hand
D. that subjects could identify a card in the dealer's hand by using thought transference
E. that subjects are capable to use thought transference for identifying a card in the dealer's hand
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Queens MBA Thread Master
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Re: From an experiment using special extrasensory perception cards, each b [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 00:33
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Meaning:
1. From an experiment, Joshep Banks claimed proof.
2. Proof that “ Subject are able to identify cards”

With this meaning in View, lets do POE.

Split # 1 : “Poof that” Vs “Proof For”
As per intended meaning of this sentence, we need to say Rhine has found proof that not proof for someone.
Option A,B – Incorrect.

Lets do choice by choice POE for rest

C. of subjects able to identify with thought transference a card in the dealer's hand
“Preposition of” is followed by an action here – should be followed by noun or noun phrase - Incorrect

D. that subjects could identify a card in the dealer's hand by using thought transference
Correct – no error.

E. that subjects are capable to use thought transference for identifying a card in the dealer's hand
“Capable to” is not correct in this context, should be “capable of”
8 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: From an experiment using special extrasensory perception cards, each b [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2015, 09:18
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A. for subjects who could use thought transference to identify a card in the dealer's hand --- He didn’t claim proof for subjects
B. for a card in the dealer's hand to be identified by subjects with thought transference ---He didn’t claim proof for a card
C. of subjects able to identify with thought transference a card in the dealer's hand -- He didn’t claim proof of subjects
D. that subjects could identify a card in the dealer's hand by using thought transference --- When a claim is reported a relative clause using' that' is required correct choice
E. that subjects are capable to use thought transference for identifying a card in the dealer's hand—unconcise--- capable to use is unidiomatic. Could identify is more forthwith

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2015, 00:28
Is (E) "that subjects are..." appropriate tense?? Or should it be past tense??
Current Student
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 16 Jan 2016, 10:54
MansunBoy wrote:
Is (E) "that subjects are..." appropriate tense?? Or should it be past tense??
As it's the result of a finding that holds true in general per the sentence, present tense is apt.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 10 Feb 2016, 09:47
thanhmaitran wrote:
From an experiment using special extrasensory perception cards, each bearing one of a set of symbols, parapsychologist Joshep Banks Rhine claimed statistical proof for subjects who could use thought transference to identify a card in the dealer's hand.

A. for subjects who could use thought transference to identify a card in the dealer's hand
B. for a card in the dealer's hand to be identified by subjects with thought transference

A. Joshep Banks Rhine didn’t claim proof for subjects
B. Joshep Banks Rhine didn’t claim proof for a card
C. Joshep Banks Rhine didn’t claim proof of subjects
D. Joshep Banks Rhine did claim of the 'fact' that subjects could identify a card in the dealer's hand by using thought transference. Hence use of 'that' is correct.
E. Joshep Banks Rhine 'claimed - subjects 'are' - not parallel - inappropriate.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 05:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
aveek86 wrote:
thanhmaitran wrote:

D. Joshep Banks Rhine did claim of the 'fact' that subjects could identify a card in the dealer's hand by using thought transference. Hence use of 'that' is correct.

The reasoning mentioned above for striking out E is wrong. We need to see the only intended meaning.
For example - Rhine claimed that sun rises in the east. Here Claimed is past tense and rises is present tense. So in the above mentioned case, the proof submitted may be a universal truth, which we don't know. The reason for elimination of E should be the usage of wrong idiom "Capable to". [Capable of is the right idiom.]
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2016, 12:42
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sowragu wrote:
aveek86 wrote:
thanhmaitran wrote:

The reasoning mentioned above for striking out E is wrong. We need to see the only intended meaning.
For example - Rhine claimed that sun rises in the east. Here Claimed is past tense and rises is present tense. So in the above mentioned case, the proof submitted may be a universal truth, which we don't know. The reason for elimination of E should be the usage of wrong idiom "Capable to". [Capable of is the right idiom.]

Yes, I agree with your point. For expressing universal truths (such as the example you mentioned: sun rises in the east), we always use simple present, even though the clause occurs within a statement in the past. 'subjects are....' is such a universal truth.
[recap: a universal truth... not an universal truth.. because the pronunciation begins with "yu"]
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
OG16 Qn7 - I don't understand why B is not right? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2016, 19:19
This post was
BOOKMARKED
From an experiment using special extrasensory perception cards, each bearing one of a set of symbols, parapsychologist Joseph Banks Rhine claimed statistical proof for subjects who could use thought transference to identify a card in the dealer's hand.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Why is B wrong? I dont quite understand the explanation ..

Thank you!

Last edited by Abhishek009 on 31 May 2016, 07:39, edited 1 time in total.
Added the options
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
S
Re: OG16 Qn7 - I don't understand why B is not right? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2016, 20:41
This post received
KUDOS
Wowgmat2016 wrote:
From an experiment using special extrasensory perception cards, each bearing one of a set of symbols, parapsychologist Joseph Banks Rhine claimed statistical proof for subjects who could use thought transference to identify a card in the dealer's hand.

Two choices:
(B) for a chard in the dealer's hand to be identified by subjects with thought transference
(D) that subjects could identify a card in the dealer's hand by using thought transference

Thank you!

why b is wrong? this is important question because most of gmat errors belong to this kind.
gmat test logic and meaning and this test is played on grammar rules. of couse, we have to know grammar rule.

in this our real world, there are many phrase which is not logic

five egss a week gives you good health

this is a sentence in english book. but under gmat, it is not logic. why. eating five eggs a week gives you good health " is logic. very simple.

evidence of the existence of the new alient on eart, this is logic
evidence of you, not logic at all

proof of you/proof for you, not logic at all.
in the question above, in the context of that question. we need an idea presented by a clause to modify the "proof". we do not need a concrete noun to modify "proof". this thinking is not explained in grammar books, but explained in official guide which is typical of gmat thinking on sc. luckyly, we can find this kind of error by using our common sense of this world.

this thinking is simple and eseay to learn and important critically .

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2016, 06:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Wowgmat2016 wrote:

Two choices:
(B) for a chard in the dealer's hand to be identified by subjects with thought transference
(D) that subjects could identify a card in the dealer's hand by using thought transference

Thank you!

The substance of the proof is NOT "a card in the dealer's hand", but the fact that "subjects could identify". Therefore D is better than B.

[While posting, please include all the options in the question. You may please add other options in this post as well.]
Board of Directors
G
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2016, 07:44
Wowgmat2016

Edited your post to include all the options....

Plz follow the forum guidelines before posting -

rules-to-post-on-the-verbal-forum-208733.html

Live discussion on the question is goin on here -

og-2016-from-an-experiment-using-special-extrasensory-perception-car-204261.html#p1565374

Happy preparation... :-D

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.25

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2016, 14:07
I feel that in the final answer, which may be the best available, the emphasis on "those people who could use thought transference" is missing! Is it kind of implicit in the starting prepositional phrase/dc?

It appears that between A and D, A could be eliminated because "proof for" is ungrammatical in this context
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Schulich '16

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2016, 01:08
u need that after claimed-

D and E are left..he claimed statistical proof - that subjects 'COULD'

check the above bold letters which claim that could is necessary

hence, D
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2016, 18:47
Hi,

I have one question here: how can we determine which the intended meaning is? I mean, it is also reasonable to think that Joseph was trying to justify the existence of people who can identify the card by using thought transference, right? So how can we confirm that it is not really the intended meaning of the sentence?

Thank for helping me!
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 07:21
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
thuyduong91vnu wrote:
Hi,

I have one question here: how can we determine which the intended meaning is? I mean, it is also reasonable to think that Joseph was trying to justify the existence of people who can identify the card by using thought transference, right? So how can we confirm that it is not really the intended meaning of the sentence?

Thank for helping me!

I would suggest not to bother too much over the "intended meaning" issue. You may safely follow the following:

It has not been mentioned in any official guideline that the correct answer must retain the meaning of the original sentence. If there is only one grammatically correct choice, it must be selected even when it deviates in meaning from the original. However if there are two grammatically correct sentences, select the one that agrees with the intended meaning of the original sentence (unless the original meaning is something absurd).
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2016, 20:16
sayantanc2k wrote:
thuyduong91vnu wrote:
Hi,

Thank for helping me!

I would suggest not to bother too much over the "intended meaning" issue. You may safely follow the following:

It has not been mentioned in any official guideline that the correct answer must retain the meaning of the original sentence. If there is only one grammatically correct choice, it must be selected even when it deviates in meaning from the original. However if there are two grammatically correct sentences, select the one that agrees with the intended meaning of the original sentence (unless the original meaning is something absurd).

Hi sayantanc2k,

Thank for your response. I understand your point, but my question is just right here. As long as the original meaning is not something absurd, then we could properly remain it, right? So what is the problem with choice (A), I mean the meaning of choice (A) is "Joseph was trying to justify the existence of people who can identify the card by using thought transference", which is not something nonsense or unacceptable, isn't it? So why did we rule out this choice reasoning "It is not the intended meaning"?

Thank for your help!
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2016, 05:31
thuyduong91vnu wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
thuyduong91vnu wrote:
Hi,

Thank for helping me!

Hi sayantanc2k,

Thank for your response. I understand your point, but my question is just right here. As long as the original meaning is not something absurd, then we could properly remain it, right? So what is the problem with choice (A), I mean the meaning of choice (A) is "Joseph was trying to justify the existence of people who can identify the card by using thought transference", which is not something nonsense or unacceptable, isn't it? So why did we rule out this choice reasoning "It is not the intended meaning"?

Thank for your help!

Option A could mean that Joseph claimed something for (on behalf of) the subjects - the claim was not for the subjects. The meaning is unrealistic in option A.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V24
GPA: 3.4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2016, 13:55
D is the correct answer
Correct Idiomatic usage
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2016, 22:48
dear experts,

although I picked up D -- proof that, I am afraid that the use of "proof of", "proof for",
appreciate if further explain

thanks a lot
have a nice day
>_~
Re: From an experiment using special extrasensory perception cards, each b   [#permalink] 20 Oct 2016, 22:48

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 31 posts ] 

From an experiment using special extrasensory perception cards, each b

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap