It is currently 16 Jan 2018, 13:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

One complaint about recently developed “care” robots – robot

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 122 [2], given: 2

Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.5
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User
One complaint about recently developed “care” robots – robot [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2013, 20:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (01:11) correct 48% (01:20) wrong based on 699 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

One complaint about recently developed “care” robots – robots designed to help care for elderly or sick patients in their home – is that they do not have the capacity for listening, expressing emotion, and tricking patients to think they can is unethical.

is that they do not have the capacity for listening, expressing emotion, and tricking patients to think they can is unethical
is that they do not have the capacity to listen, to express emotion, and to trick patients to think they can is unethical
is that they do not have the capacity for listening or expressing emotion, and tricking patients to think they can is unethical
is that they do not have the capacity to listen or express emotion, and tricking patients to think they can is unethical
is that they do not have the capacity to listen or express emotion, and tricking patients that they are doing this is unethical
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 122 [2], given: 2

10 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3668 [10], given: 123

Premium Member
Re: One complaint about recently developed “care” robots – robot [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2013, 00:34
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Meaning is key to solve this question. If you just apply grammar rules, you may get trapped.

If you read the question carefully, there are two parts in a long sentence
(1) One complain about developed "care" robots is that they do not have capacity to listen or express emotion
(2) tricking patients to think those robots can listen or express emotion is unethical.

One complaint about recently developed “care” robots – robots designed to help care for elderly or sick patients in their home – is that they do not have the capacity for listening, expressing emotion, and tricking patients to think they can is unethical.

A) is that they do not have the capacity for listening, expressing emotion, and tricking patients to think they can is unethical
Wrong. A seems to convey that Robots do have capacity for listening, expressing emotion and tricking patients ==> The robots do not have capacity to trick patients? Does not make any sense!

B) is that they do not have the capacity to listen, to express emotion, and to trick patients to think they can is unethical
Wrong. Same error as in A. B seems to say that Robots do have capacity to listen, to express emotion and to trick patients ==> The robots do not have capacity to trick patients? Does not make any sense!

C) is that they do not have the capacity for listening or expressing emotion, and tricking patients to think they can is unethical
Wrong. Same error as in A. C seems to convey that Robots do have capacity for listening or expressing emotion and tricking patients ==>The robots do not have capacity to trick patients? Does not make any sense!

D) is that they do not have the capacity to listen or express emotion, and tricking patients to think they can is unethical
Correct. As explained above.

E) is that they do not have the capacity to listen or express emotion, and tricking patients that they are doing this is unethical[/quote]
Wrong. "this" refers to what? to listen or to express emotion or both? We don't know.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3668 [10], given: 123

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 1326 [1], given: 820

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2013, 00:45
This post received
KUDOS

is that they do not have the capacity for listening, expressing emotion, and tricking patients to think they can is unethical
for listening is incorrect, we need to seperate it from the verb-tricking
is that they do not have the capacity to listen, to express emotion, and to trick patients to think they can is unethical
listen, express should be in the same form and trick should be in other form, as they are not pointing to the same thing.
is that they do not have the capacity for listening or expressing emotion, and tricking patients to think they can is unethical
for listening is incorrect, we need to seperate it from the verb-tricking
is that they do not have the capacity to listen or express emotion, and tricking patients to think they can is unethical
Correct
is that they do not have the capacity to listen or express emotion, and tricking patients that they are doing this is unethical
incorrect meaning, it says that they are doing where as we are talking about the ability of the robots, that is why they can.

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kudos [?]: 1326 [1], given: 820

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 43

Concentration: Human Resources, International Business
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2013, 08:51
tk1tez7777 wrote:

It took me a while to figure this one out. I did it by elimination.

A. Incorrect. I feel "capacity to" is better suited here, gives a meaning that tricking is a part of complaint
B. Incorrect. Conveys that 'Complaint is that robot cannot trick', which is not right.
C. Incorrect. Same reason as A
D. Correct. Seems the most logical choice.
E. Incorrect. Wordy and awkward. 'that they are doing' is unnecessary.

Any feedback is appreciated. Although I got the correct answer still want to make sure I got it through the right logic.

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 43

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2015, 19:53
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 0

Retired Moderator
S

Kudos [?]: 925 [0], given: 75

One complaint about recently developed “care” robots – robot [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2016, 10:41
Well pqhai nails it above. Here is the OE by Veritas prep

OE
Answer choices (A) and (B) contain the easiest errors – both relating to sentence construction. The second part of the clause following the dash is not a series in relation to “listening, expressing emotion” in (A) or “to listen, to express” in (B) The robots lack the capacity to/for these two things and then separately the sentence is saying that “tricking patients to think that they” can do these things is unethical. (C), (D) and (E) properly separate off the second part of the clause with a comma and “and” but only (D) has the proper structure to follow the infinitive “to listen or express”. When auxiliary verbs such as “can” are used to replace full verbs (here “listen or express”), they must be able to be logically followed by the structure that precedes it. In (C) it is incorrect to use “listening or expressing” and then say “tricking patients that they can LISTENING OR EXPRESSING is unethical” In (D), you have the proper “tricking patients that they can LISTEN OR EXPRESS emotion is unethical” For (E), you likewise cannot say that “they are doing LISTEN or EXPRESS emotion” Only (D) matches up the correct structures and is thus the correct answer.

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 925 [0], given: 75

Current Student
S

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 79

Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Fisher '19 (M)
GPA: 3.71
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2016, 03:24
Can any instructor/member explain how the meaning is incorrectly conveyed in option A (original sentence). I understand that the complaints w.r.t robots are two
- they do not have the capacity to listen or express emotion
and
- tricking the patients to think that these robots can listen or express is unethical
It'd be great if someone can talk about how this meaning is lost in option A and B.

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 79

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3787 [1], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2016, 12:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Keats wrote:
Can any instructor/member explain how the meaning is incorrectly conveyed in option A (original sentence). I understand that the complaints w.r.t robots are two
and
- tricking the patients to think that these robots can listen or express is unethical
It'd be great if someone can talk about how this meaning is lost in option A and B.

The second point you mentioned, tricking the patients is not a complaint about the robots, but a complaint about the people who promote these robots.

Options A and B imply that the robots do not have the capacity to trick the patients (listen, express and trick are in parallel)... this meaning is not intended.
Moreover in option A, the usage "capacity for..." is wrong.

Kudos [?]: 3787 [1], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2016, 02:00
sayantanc2k wrote:
Keats wrote:
and

The second point you mentioned, tricking the patients is not a complaint about the robots, but a complaint about the people who promote these robots.

Options A and B imply that the robots do not have the capacity to trick the patients (listen, express and trick are in parallel)... this meaning is not intended.

==========
i like D..but just get stuck with parallel structure..why not "to listen or TO express emotion

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3787 [0], given: 22

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2016, 05:25
vsvikas wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
Keats wrote:
and

==========
i like D..but just get stuck with parallel structure..why not "to listen or TO express emotion

"To" is outside the parallel structure, hence it covers both - I presume you are aware of the "once out, twice in" thumb-rule.
(In this case "to listen or to express" would also be correct - in that case "to" would be inside the parallel structure.)

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 53

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 15:52
Isn't this sentence confusing? It begins with one complain and then lists two:
1)capacity to listen or express emotion
2)tricking patients to think they can is unethical...

very odd structure - haven't seen such sentences in official GMAT examples..

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 53

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 20:14
This is my approach,
Eliminate A, and B because the sentence contains 2 clauses/ separate ideas connected by 'and'- this is based on meaning - ie.
1. Complaint
2. Tricking

Eliminate E
Doing - progressive tense -meaning that they are currently doing something ie when you look at them they are doing the action

Decision point C and D
C capacity for
D capacity to

1. General rule to X is better than for X.
2. Try substitute "capacity" with "ability"
a. ability to = can - definite definition and appear numerous time in idiom from Manhattan Prep
b. ability for - may sounds right but it is not as good as ability to

ANS: D

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 311

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 18:54
Is there any parallelism here?

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 311

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 07:31
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
torto wrote:
Is there any parallelism here?

Whenever there is an "or" or an "and", there is parallelism. In option D, you would probably find the paralleism for the "or"s yourself. As for the "and", the parallelism is between two clauses:
Clause 1: "One complaint...is..."
AND
Clause 2: "Tricking... is..."
(For clarity, above I have mentioned only the main subjects and the main verbs of the 2 parallel clauses.)

Re: One complaint about recently developed “care” robots – robot   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2017, 07:31

One complaint about recently developed “care” robots – robot

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap