Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [13]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [18]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [4]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: One key to predicting a competitor's strategies is understanding how [#permalink]
Kudos
Nived wrote:
Which highlighted text does question 3 refer to? Can someone please help.

highlighted text " the other " in second paragraph
In the fast-food industry, for example, two players faced the same market trends, resulting from the public's concerns about high-fat diets, but responded in markedly different ways. The dominant player, as the target of consumer backlash, introduced a variety of foods It promoted as healthy. The other, foreseeing this move, saw an opportunity to find market share in the less health-conscious fast-food segment and so introduced high-fat, high-calorie sandwiches supported by aggressive, defiant ads.

Basically "the other " company understood what strategy the initial company has implemented towards the market trend and hence the "the other company " implements a strategy to enter into opposite market that is the market where consumers are less health conscious. Summary- "the other" company understood the initial company's probable strategy and used this knowledge wisely. And this entire paragraph tries to show how companies react differently to the same market trend.

The passage suggests most strongly that the company mentioned In the highlighted text

A) was less concerned with prevailing market trends than was its dominant competitor - it was actually concerned
B) was in a position to take over the leading market position from its dominant competitor-- it entered a different market so no point of comptition.
C) understood which strategy Its dominant competitor was likely to follow - Correct.
D) received little negative feedback based on concerns about high-fat diets - we do not know what feedback it received.
E) refrained from developing a comprehensive resource-based view of marketing strategy-- irrelevant.(the author suggests the resource strategy in later para)

hope this helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Re: One key to predicting a competitor's strategies is understanding how [#permalink]
bubbly2010 wrote:
can someone tell me why option D is not correct for question number 2 ?

reading the passage we see that the main topic is to predict competitors stratergy. there is also an example showing how two companies reacted differently. para 3 tells us the ways to predict. we can easily eliminate a,c and e. now option d states that the primary purpose is to analyse business stratergy used by companies , this is a generalised statement ie it doesn't points to the whole passage which is specifically about predicting a competitor's strategies and how to do it.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [0]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks AdityaHongunti and goofytiwari69 for the explanations!

To post additional questions not already addressed in this thread, feel free to use the request verbal experts' reply button.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 336
Schools: ISB '23 (S)
GMAT 1: 560 Q43 V23
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Hi,

I got the third question incorrect. I choose option A as the answer to this question. And the reason I did that was because company A responded by introducing a number of high fat products as opposed to the market trends.
So it looked it its response was more dependent on the strategy followed by the dominant company. Which means it was less concerned with prevailing market trends than was its dominant competitor. ( I interpreted this as it was less concerned with the prevailing market trends as compared to how concerned it was about its compitetors strategy)

And for a moment I thought that Answer C was the correct answer choice. But since C used the word likely I rejected the same. The company already knew which strategy its compitetor is following so why use the word likely.

Please let me know where am I going wrong in my reasoning. I am ready to accept that Answer A is a incorrect choice however I need a reason to select choice C. Please guide.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
givinggmat wrote:
Hi,

I got the third question incorrect. I choose option A as the answer to this question. And the reason I did that was because company A responded by introducing a number of high fat products as opposed to the market trends.
So it looked it its response was more dependent on the strategy followed by the dominant company. Which means it was less concerned with prevailing market trends than was its dominant competitor. ( I interpreted this as it was less concerned with the prevailing market trends as compared to how concerned it was about its compitetors strategy)

And for a moment I thought that Answer C was the correct answer choice. But since C used the word likely I rejected the same. The company already knew which strategy its compitetor is following so why use the word likely.

Please let me know where am I going wrong in my reasoning. I am ready to accept that Answer A is a incorrect choice however I need a reason to select choice C. Please guide.

Question #3 asks what the passage suggests about the non-dominant company facing a market trend of public concern about high fat diets.

Let's first take a look at (A):
Quote:
A) was less concerned with prevailing market trends than was its dominant competitor

On a surface level, this option is tempting -- after all, the company responded to a health-conscious market trend by offering high fat sandwiches. It seems like they don't care too much about the trend, right?

Except look at how the company made this strategic decision: it foresaw that its competitor would offer a variety of healthy (or seemingly healthy) new options, and then "saw an opportunity to find market share in the less health-conscious fast-food segment." So, even though the non-dominant company reacts to the trend in a surprising way, its decision was still a reaction to the trend. Far from being less concerned about the trend, the non-dominant company is highly concerned about the trend, its competitor's reaction to the trend, and how it can use these conditions to increase its market share.

Note: Interpreting (A) to say that the non dominant company was "less concerned with the prevailing market trends as compared to how concerned it was about its competitor's strategy" significantly changes the meaning of the answer choice. The comparison is not between two potential concerns of the non-dominant company, but rather between the two companies' levels of concern about the market trend. Because the decisions of both companies can be tied back to the market trend, we cannot say that the non dominant company was less concerned than the dominant company.

(A) is out.

Now look at (C):
Quote:
C) understood which strategy Its dominant competitor was likely to follow

As explained above, the non-dominant company formulated its reaction to the market trend by anticipating what the dominant company would do.

The word "likely" is necessary (or at least not problematic) because of the timeline laid out by the author. While the passage was written after these events took place, the companies made their decisions in the middle of the events themselves. The non-dominant company had to foresee the actions of the dominant company, which inherently adds doubt to their analysis. (C) is the correct answer.

I hope that helps!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [3]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos