Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:10 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32947 [43]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32947 [33]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [24]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V31
Send PM
Re: One of the biggest questions facing the art world today is the dilemma [#permalink]
How is the answer to the first question C?
Can someone explain?

Posted from my mobile device
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32947 [0]
Send PM
Re: One of the biggest questions facing the art world today is the dilemma [#permalink]
Expert Reply
SajjitaKundu wrote:
How is the answer to the first question C?
Can someone explain?

ANSWER: C

Explanation

The main subject of the passage is the debate over the repatriation of cultural treasures; the passage states that the subject is not widely noted by the outside world, hence “secret”; and the passage presents the British Museum in a negative light, hence “dirty little secret.”

Hope it make Sense
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
Kudos
Paasage1:
Introduction to Repatriation debate bw museums,.. and representatives,..
The take of representatives,..
P2:
How museums defend
P3:
Finally author view where he is with advocates of repatriation stating the conclusion that repatriation does not do much -ve to local region where artifacts belong.

Let me know if my map is correct.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2055 [2]
Given Kudos: 174
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Also adding to another reason to discard option (E) in Q3 would be the movement of an artifact from the state it belong to culturally to another state. As Baton Rouge is not in Texas but the lone star belongs to Texas. This is the major reason versus funding of museum as I insufficiently outlined earlier.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
4min40 got all right.

I spent pretty much time on the third question, struggling between C and E. But I discard E because these two museums could never be friends and hold something like "our neighbor to the east". They should be hostile to each other.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 680 Q51 V30
Send PM
Can someone help me to understand why (A) on question #5?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32947 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
blablabla1997 wrote:
Can someone help me to understand why (A) on question #5?

Official Explanation

5. The author’s attitude toward museum curators who oppose the repatriation of cultural treasures is best summarized as what?

Explanation

The correct answer is A. The author’s tone is certainly critical, as seen in terms such as “robbed” and “so-called art experts” and in the argument as a whole. The author’s hostility to the museum curators does not rise to the level of “seething anger,” however, and only one of the sentences (“evidently, the quantity of viewers…”) could accurately be described as “bemused sarcasm,” whereas the tone of the entire passage could be characterized as “indignant.”

Answer: A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
6. Which of the following, if true, would best support the position taken by the advocates of repatriation, as expressed in the first paragraph?

Option D is correct because it explains that sculptures from Central America are best understood within their local context. This refers to the last line of para 1-

Quote:
Advocates of repatriation have argued that cultural treasures should be returned to their nations of origin, both because of basic fairness and because the artwork and cultural artifacts in question are best understood within their local context.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts