GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Feb 2019, 10:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

February 17, 2019

February 17, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

February 16, 2019

February 16, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.

Opponents to the mayor’s plan for express bus lanes on the city’s majo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior RC Moderator
V
GPA: 3.39
Premium Member CAT Tests
Opponents to the mayor’s plan for express bus lanes on the city’s majo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Jan 2019, 07:51
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

86% (01:50) correct 14% (01:32) wrong based on 119 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Opponents to the mayor’s plan for express bus lanes on the city’s major commuter arteries objected that people could not be lured out of their automobiles in that way. The opponents were proved wrong; following implementation of the plan, bus ridership rose dramatically, and there was a corresponding drop in automobile traffic. Nonetheless, the plan failed to achieve its stated objective of reducing average commuting time.

Which of the following would be the most logical continuation of this argument?

(A) The plan’s opponents failed to realize that many people would take advantage of improved bus transportation.

(B) Unfortunately, politically attractive solutions do not always get results.

(C) The number of people a vehicle can transport varies directly with the size of the passenger compartment of the vehicle.

(D) Opponents cited an independent survey of city commuters showing that before the plan’s adoption only one out of every seven used commuter bus lines.

(E) With the express lanes closed to private automobile traffic, the remaining cars were forced to use too few lanes and this created gigantic traffic tie-ups.

New Project RC Butler 2019 - Practice 2 RC Passages Everyday
Final days of the GMAT Exam? => All GMAT Flashcards.
This Post Helps = Press +1 Kudos
Best of Luck on the GMAT!!

Originally posted by SajjadAhmad on 23 Oct 2017, 12:31.
Last edited by SajjadAhmad on 22 Jan 2019, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.92
Premium Member
Re: Opponents to the mayor’s plan for express bus lanes on the city’s majo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 14:25
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Opponents to the mayor’s plan for express bus lanes on the city’s major commuter arteries objected that people could not be lured out of their automobiles in that way. The opponents were proved wrong; following implementation of the plan, bus ridership rose dramatically, and there was a corresponding drop in automobile traffic. Nonetheless, the plan failed to achieve its stated objective of reducing average commuting time. Which of the following would be the most logical continuation of this argument?

(A) The plan’s opponents failed to realize that many people would take advantage of improved bus transportation.
(B) Unfortunately, politically attractive solutions do not always get results.
(C) The number of people a vehicle can transport varies directly with the size of the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
(D) Opponents cited an independent survey of city commuters showing that before the plan’s adoption only one out of every seven used commuter bus lines.
(E) With the express lanes closed to private automobile traffic, the remaining cars were forced to use too few lanes and this created gigantic traffic tie-ups.

E resolves the paradox perfectly. Will go with E.

The thing about privilege is.. you often don't recognize your own !!!

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.99
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Opponents to the mayor’s plan for express bus lanes on the city’s majo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 19:38
E answers the question.

Premise states that: bus express lanes have helped the dramatic rise in ridership, and a corresponding dip in automobile ensued.

However, realize that if that's the case, either one of two things has to happen.
1) Highway builds new lanes
2) one of the existing lanes is now the bus express lane, thus resulting in one fewer lane for automobiles.

E describes this exactly.

E is the answer.
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 19:50
IMO Option E
Express bus lanes have caused a dramatic increase in ridership and there was a reduction in the use of automobiles.With the express bus lanes closed to other cars other than buses the cars had to use the remaining lanes thus resulting in congestion and frequent traffic snarls.The average commuting time was not reduced. This is aptly brought about by Option E and E is the right answer. Please give me kudos . I need them badly to unlock gmatclub tests.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 550 Q47 V19
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2019, 23:27
Hi VeritasKarishma,

Didn't realize it was a paradox question?
I thought this question comes under the category of complete the passage.

Can you please clear my doubts about this question?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2019, 23:36
Why?

Posted from my mobile device
Attachments

98404F74-AAAC-4AEE-A572-B1BE52170A55.jpeg
98404F74-AAAC-4AEE-A572-B1BE52170A55.jpeg [ 420.49 KiB | Viewed 190 times ]

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2019, 00:06
bb wrote:
Why?

I think complete the passage also indirectly refers to various question types such as strength, weaken etc. So based on the contents of the passage I should decide what should be the sub-category of "complete the passage" questions! Am I correct in my reasoning here?

I think I was not able to identify that correct answer would resolve the paradox.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2019, 00:12
It really does not. Complete the passage specifically refers to completing a passage and usually there is even a blank at the end. There are a few of these questions.

However, make your life easier - let moderators worry a out that part :-)

You do not need to worry about what category the question is cataloged under or whether it may overlap multiple categories. You just to answer it by picking A, B, C, D, or E.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here!
Want to know application stats & Profiles from last year? Check the Decision Tracker

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2019, 00:23
bb wrote:
It really does not. Complete the passage specifically refers to completing a passage and usually there is even a blank at the end. There are a few of these questions.

However, make your life easier - let moderators worry a out that part :-)

You do not need to worry about what category the question is cataloged under or whether it may overlap multiple categories. You just to answer it by picking A, B, C, D, or E.

Thanks for the quick reply!
I answered this question wrong because I didn't realize that in this question the answer would be the one which resolves the paradox. That's what bothers me about this question otherwise I would have answered correctly.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Opponents to the mayor’s plan for express bus lanes on the city’s majo   [#permalink] 19 Jan 2019, 00:23

Opponents to the mayor’s plan for express bus lanes on the city’s majo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap