Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 365 [63]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 944 [16]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [8]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Organized in 1966 by the Fish and Wildlife Service, the Breeding Bird [#permalink]
Kudos
pierrealexandre77 wrote:
Organized in 1966 by the Fish and Wildlife Service, the Breeding Bird Survey uses annual roadside counts along established routes for monitoring of population changes of as many as, or of more than 250 bird species, including 180 songbirds.

(A) for monitoring of population changes of as many as, or of
(B) to monitor population changes of as many, or
(C) to monitor changes in the populations of
(D) that monitors population changes of
(E) that monitors changes in populations of as many as, or

Official Answer: C

I'm quite confused with this SC question. It seems that OA is modifying the meaning of the original sentence.
as many as or more than is not equal to more than...

Even if the contruction seems good, i'm really surprised such a question could have validated a change in the meaning.

I chose C for this problem. Let me try to explain the difference between B and C:

b) population changes of ----> the noun here is "changes", so it's wrong to say "changes of" is wrong because not idiomatic
c) changes in the populations of -----> "populations of" is idiomatic

hope this helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 639 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Organized in 1966 by the Fish and Wildlife Service, the Breeding Bird [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
pierrealexandre77 wrote:
Organized in 1966 by the Fish and Wildlife Service, the Breeding Bird Survey uses annual roadside counts along established routes for monitoring of population changes of as many as, or of more than 250 bird species, including 180 songbirds.

Official Answer: C

I'm quite confused with this SC question. It seems that OA is modifying the meaning of the original sentence.

Even if the contruction seems good, i'm really surprised such a question could have validated a change in the meaning.

C

D and E are incorrect because the routes don't do the monitoring.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 944 [4]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
pierrealexandre77 wrote:

In GMAT.... as many as or more is not correct and hence GMAT gives you the liberty to correct this....! Refer Manhattan SC Guide...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GRE 1: Q750 V600
GPA: 3.26
Send PM
pierrealexandre77 wrote:

I stumbled upon this golden post in MGMAT.
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 17266.html

It says - as many as would imply less than or equal to 250 whereas more than would imply greater than 250. Thus, A is not saying anything. Therefore the original sentence is illogical!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Given Kudos: 405
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 3: 760 Q49 V46
Send PM
egmat

Can you clarify why option d and e are wrong. I understand that the "to+verb" is used to express purpose but some of the posts here mention that the "that" seems to refer to routes. However "that" is a singular pronoun and as such can only refer to the survey.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1190
Send PM
@daagh : please check, whether "changes in populations of" is correct.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
IIMC wrote:
@daagh : please check, whether "changes in populations of" is correct.

Hello IIMC,

I am not sure of you still have the same doubt. Here is my two cents nonetheless. :-)

The expression changes in the populations of has been used in the correct answer choice of the said official sentence. This means that it is a correct expression.

The word populations has been used to refer to population of more than 250 bird bird species, each species having individual population.

Thanks. :-)
Shraadha
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [2]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rishi02 wrote:
egmat

Can you clarify why option d and e are wrong. I understand that the "to+verb" is used to express purpose but some of the posts here mention that the "that" seems to refer to routes. However "that" is a singular pronoun and as such can only refer to the survey.

Hello rishi02,

I know this a very old doubt. However, the reply may just help someone who may have the similar doubt. :-)

When that is used as a relative pronoun modifier to modify the preceding noun entity, it can modify both singular and plural noun entity. When used just as a pronoun to refer to a noun or a pronoun in the sentence, that acts as singular pronoun and as such refers only to a singular noun entity.

In the official sentence in discussion, that has been used as the noun modifier in Choices D and E.

In both these choices, that is meant to modify the noun entity annual roadside counts along established routes. So essentially, that modifies the plural noun annual roadside counts**. Hence it must take plural verb. But in Choices D and E, that takes singular verb monitors. Hence, we do have SV number agreement error here.

** Here, we see the case of far-away noun modification by the noun modifier that that modifies the noun entity placed a bit far-away from the modifier. This is absolutely correct modification. How this modification works has been covered in great details in our very popular article named Noun Modifiers can modify a slightly far-away Noun in the following link:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Since monitors is followed by 'that' in choice D, I'm sure that 'that' is not referring to routes. From the meaning point of view it is clear that it is the Breeding Bird Survey that's monitoring the changes in the populations of 250 bird species.

How can 'that' jump over a verb 'uses'. Is this the reason that this choice is incorrect ?

Please help me with the reason for eliminating choice D. generis

Posted from my mobile device
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35487 [3]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos