GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2019, 14:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Organized in 1966 by the Fish and Wildlife Service, the Breeding Bird

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Organized in 1966 by the Fish and Wildlife Service, the Breeding Bird  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Dec 2018, 03:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (01:10) correct 24% (01:30) wrong based on 1141 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Organized in 1966 by the Fish and Wildlife Service, the Breeding Bird Survey uses annual roadside counts along established routes for monitoring of population changes of as many as, or of more than 250 bird species, including 180 songbirds.

(A) for monitoring of population changes of as many as, or of

(B) to monitor population changes of as many, or

(C) to monitor changes in the populations of

(D) that monitors population changes of

(E) that monitors changes in populations of as many as, or

I'm quite confused with this SC question. It seems that OA is modifying the meaning of the original sentence.
as many as or more than is not equal to more than...

Even if the contruction seems good, i'm really surprised such a question could have validated a change in the meaning.

Originally posted by pierrealexandre77 on 09 Nov 2009, 10:50.
Last edited by Bunuel on 13 Dec 2018, 03:11, edited 4 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Most Helpful Community Reply
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Organized in 1966 by the Fish and Wildlife Service, the Breeding Bird  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Jan 2010, 15:57
Organized in 1966 by the Fish and Wildlife Service, the Breeding Bird Survey uses annual roadside counts along established routes for monitoring of population changes of as many as, or of more than 250 bird species, including 180 songbirds.

(A) for monitoring of population changes of as many as, or of - INCORRECT .... as many as or more... is not correct!
(B) to monitor population changes of as many, or - INCORRECT .... as many as or more... is not correct!
(C) to monitor changes in the populations of Correct.... to monitor and no 'as many as more' present....
(D) that monitors population changes of Incorrect.... to monitor.. should be used..
(E) that monitors changes in populations of as many as, or - INCORRECT .... as many as or more... is not correct!

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Originally posted by jeeteshsingh on 24 Jan 2010, 15:53.
Last edited by jeeteshsingh on 24 Jan 2010, 15:57, edited 1 time in total.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Re: Organized in 1966 by the Fish and Wildlife Service, the Breeding Bird  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2009, 12:02
pierrealexandre77 wrote:

Official Answer: C

I'm quite confused with this SC question. It seems that OA is modifying the meaning of the original sentence.

Even if the contruction seems good, i'm really surprised such a question could have validated a change in the meaning.

I chose C for this problem. Let me try to explain the difference between B and C:

b) population changes of ----> the noun here is "changes", so it's wrong to say "changes of" is wrong because not idiomatic
c) changes in the populations of -----> "populations of" is idiomatic

hope this helps
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2010, 14:40
pierrealexandre77 wrote:

Official Answer: C

C

D and E are incorrect because the routes don't do the monitoring.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2010, 15:54
pierrealexandre77 wrote:

In GMAT.... as many as or more is not correct and hence GMAT gives you the liberty to correct this....! Refer Manhattan SC Guide...

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~
Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2013, 01:27

Wrong. "use X to monitor Y" is correct. "use X for monitoring Y" is not correct when we want to convey purpose of action.

Wrong. "as many, or more than" is wrong. ==> Correct structure is "as many as, or more than".

Correct. "use X to monitor Y" is correct. Infinitive conveys better meaning than gerund.

Wrong. "that" modifies the CLOSET noun - established routes --> wrong because routes can't monitor population changes.

Wrong. Same as D.

Hope it helps.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.26
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2016, 08:59
pierrealexandre77 wrote:

I stumbled upon this golden post in MGMAT.
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... 17266.html

It says - as many as would imply less than or equal to 250 whereas more than would imply greater than 250. Thus, A is not saying anything. Therefore the original sentence is illogical!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2016, 00:35
egmat

Can you clarify why option d and e are wrong. I understand that the "to+verb" is used to express purpose but some of the posts here mention that the "that" seems to refer to routes. However "that" is a singular pronoun and as such can only refer to the survey.
B

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2017, 23:27
@daagh : please check, whether "changes in populations of" is correct.
e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 10:58
IIMC wrote:
@daagh : please check, whether "changes in populations of" is correct.

Hello IIMC,

I am not sure of you still have the same doubt. Here is my two cents nonetheless. :-)

The expression changes in the populations of has been used in the correct answer choice of the said official sentence. This means that it is a correct expression.

The word populations has been used to refer to population of more than 250 bird bird species, each species having individual population.

Thanks. :-)
Shraadha

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2017, 11:14
rishi02 wrote:
egmat

Can you clarify why option d and e are wrong. I understand that the "to+verb" is used to express purpose but some of the posts here mention that the "that" seems to refer to routes. However "that" is a singular pronoun and as such can only refer to the survey.

Hello rishi02,

I know this a very old doubt. However, the reply may just help someone who may have the similar doubt. :-)

When that is used as a relative pronoun modifier to modify the preceding noun entity, it can modify both singular and plural noun entity. When used just as a pronoun to refer to a noun or a pronoun in the sentence, that acts as singular pronoun and as such refers only to a singular noun entity.

In the official sentence in discussion, that has been used as the noun modifier in Choices D and E.

In both these choices, that is meant to modify the noun entity annual roadside counts along established routes. So essentially, that modifies the plural noun annual roadside counts**. Hence it must take plural verb. But in Choices D and E, that takes singular verb monitors. Hence, we do have SV number agreement error here.

** Here, we see the case of far-away noun modification by the noun modifier that that modifies the noun entity placed a bit far-away from the modifier. This is absolutely correct modification. How this modification works has been covered in great details in our very popular article named Noun Modifiers can modify a slightly far-away Noun in the following link:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-135868.html

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2018, 23:28

http://www.gmatmantra.com
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Accounting, Entrepreneurship
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2019, 12:18
Since monitors is followed by 'that' in choice D, I'm sure that 'that' is not referring to routes. From the meaning point of view it is clear that it is the Breeding Bird Survey that's monitoring the changes in the populations of 250 bird species.

How can 'that' jump over a verb 'uses'. Is this the reason that this choice is incorrect ?

Please help me with the reason for eliminating choice D. generis

Posted from my mobile device
V

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2019, 19:53
pierrealexandre77 wrote:

RashedVai wrote:
Since monitors is followed by 'that' in choice D, I'm sure that 'that' is not referring to routes. From the meaning point of view it is clear that it is the Breeding Bird Survey that's monitoring the changes in the populations of 250 bird species.

How can 'that' jump over a verb 'uses'. Is this the reason that this choice is incorrect ?

Please help me with the reason for eliminating choice D. generis

Posted from my mobile device

RashedVai , you wrote
Quote:
I'm sure that 'that' is not referring to routes.

True. But that IS referring to counts.
Counts are tallies.

In the noun phrase annual roadside counts along established routes, the main noun is counts.
-- Annual and roadside are adjectives.
Every year on the side of the road, machines or people conduct (take) counts of birds.
-- along established routes is a prepositional modifier of counts that tells us where these counts (tallies) are located.
Quote:
From the meaning point of view it is clear that it is the Breeding Bird Survey that's monitoring the changes in the populations of 250 bird species.

Careful. The Breeding Bird Survey is not itself a monitoring device.
How does the Breeding Bird Survey actually DO the monitoring?
You missed the word uses.
. . . the Breeding Bird Survey uses [annual roadside counts along . . ]

X uses Y to Z.
-- The BB Survey uses counts to monitor birds.

Quote:

The word "that" does not jump over any verb.
That refers to counts.

Verbs such as use require an object. ("transitive verb")
Wrong: To monitor species, the Bird Survey uses.
Correct: To monitor species, the Bird Survey uses counts (tally systems).

Here is (D) in the sentence:
Organized in 1966 by the Fish and Wildlife Service, the Breeding Bird Survey uses annual roadside COUNTS [PLURAL] along established routes that monitors [SINGULAR] population changes of more than 250 bird species, including 180 songbirds.

Count is rarely a noun except in phrases such as head count.
Counts, plural, may sound even more strange in its noun form.
Counts are tallies—action nouns.

We might not know that counts is a noun.
But it cannot be a verb; it has no subject, and we need a direct object for uses.

Hence we know that somewhere between uses and that, there must be a noun.
Uses requires an object, a something.
That is a pronoun that refers to a noun.

The Bird Survey uses
annual roadside counts along established routes
to monitor bird species.

The word counts is plural.
That refers to counts.
That is a relative pronoun, similar to who.

The verb in a relative [pronoun] clause must always agree with the antecedent of the relative pronoun.
-- That monitors is incorrect. The verb monitors is singular and does not agree with plural counts.
-- Wrong: Counts that monitors. Subject verb disagreement.
-- Correct: Counts that monitor.

Eliminate D on the basis of subject/verb disagreement.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has -- Margaret Mead
Non-Human User
Re: Organized in 1966 by the Fish and Wildlife Service, the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2019, 07:57
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Organized in 1966 by the Fish and Wildlife Service, the   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2019, 07:57

Organized in 1966 by the Fish and Wildlife Service, the Breeding Bird

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics