Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 196
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ajdse22 wrote:
If we see a 'that' pronoun, should we ignore the nouns in the prepositional phrase preceding it ?

Not at all. There is pretty much no role of prepositional phrases, when you're looking at finding out the antecedent of that.

As I mentioned in my previous post, if you could PM me your mail id, I can send you the relevant section from our book. I can guarantee that you would never again go wrong with the usage of that :).

ajdse22 wrote:
I bought a house in the town that is close to the sea beach

It causes some ambiguity right? Is house close close to beach or is it that it in a town that is close to the beach?

I would say that it's very clear that the town is close to the sea beach.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Schools: Erasmus '17
Send PM
Re: Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a [#permalink]
Minheequang wrote:
Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.
(A) things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
(C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
(D) antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring

The answer is (B). I have no problem with the meaning of this choice, but what is things antique. I can't understand its meaning or its structure: Noun + ADJ ???

Source of question?

I think a comma is missing.
Out of America's fascination with all things , antique

Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.

Out of America's fascination with all [u]things is subordinate clause
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rahul202 wrote:
Minheequang wrote:
(A) things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
(C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
(D) antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring

The answer is (B). I have no problem with the meaning of this choice, but what is things antique. I can't understand its meaning or its structure: Noun + ADJ ???

Source of question?

I think a comma is missing.
Out of America's fascination with all things , antique

Out of America's fascination with all [u]things is subordinate clause

The sentence is alright, comma is not required. The meaning of this sentence is as follows:

A market has grown out of America's fascination with things THAT ARE antique.

It is stylistically acceptable to omit "that are".

Second, "Out of America's fascination with all things" is NOT a clause at all - there is no verb in this part. It is a prepositional phrase.

Moreover this sentence becomes even more tricky because of the subject-verb flip. The subject "a market" comes AFTER the verb "has grown".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
daagh wrote:
To understand this question in its logical perspective, one needs to appreciate that the shows themselves create the interest by virtue of their sensational nature and therefore people throng to see them. Therefore, it is clear that the shows entice people. Then a demand emerges and the commercial people step in to cash in on the ready-made boom to make easy money. Therefore, the booming market is the end of the chain and not the beginning.
If this tenet is clear, then this can be easily solved. Here the verb has to be plural either -are bringing or a simple present tense bring. It is now the importance of the increasing frequency can be realized. It a frequently changing one means that it is a dynamic factor and an on- going affair. What better way could be there than to describe in a progressive tense—namely, are bringing. Please also note that choice B meticulously abides by the touch rule of relative pronoun. Therefore, B is the best IMO.
Kaplan’ choice of D as the official answer is understandable, considering Kaplan’s fancy for gaining popularity more through controversies than through logic

I agree with you, this is a variation of an official guide question:

In this sentence, the relative pronoun “that” could refer to the previous noun –fixtures- or nouns –furniture and fixtures- , yet it could also refer to the nucleus of the noun – styles or market.

In this case, by context, the pronoun “that” can only refer to market, so the subject of the clause is singular.

However, in this variation, “which” could refer to both market and shows, making the sentence ambiguous. If I had to pick one, I would pick “shows” –choice B- because it is next to “which”.

I have seen many variations of original questions, and the people who make these variations do not always take into account possible changes in syntax.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM

Since "fascination" needs a "has" being singular instead of "have" - A, D are out
"bringing" is preferred over "that bring" because anything after "that" modifies what is immediately preceding "that", in this case "fixtures" which is incorrect as it is the "America´s fascination. that is bringing" .. "bringing" modifies the clause and hence option B is correct
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
The original as such is very confusing and convoluted .
The answer to such question becomes easy if we paraphrase the original sentence .
A market has grown out of America's fascination with all things antique for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.
Now i think the subject becomes very clear and it is singular so we need singular verb.
Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [3]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.75
WE:Web Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Minheequang wrote:

Hi,

Let me try to help in this question.

Option B,
Out of America's fascination with all things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.

RESTRUCTURING THE INVERTED SENTENCE STRUCTURE SO THAT IT MAKES MORE SENSE :

A market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures has grown out of America's fascination with all things [that are] antique that is bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.

I hope this restructuring of the option B clears the confusion for this question.

Thanks.
-Varun
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29941 [1]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Minheequang wrote:
The Official Guide for GMAT Review, 11th Edition, 2005

Practice Question
Question No.: SC 116
Page: 657

This is a tricky question because the subject appears AFTER the verb.

In most sentences, the verb appears after the subject.
Example: Yesterday, Jane bought five acres of ocean floor.

The primary verb phrase is has/have grown.

To determine the subject that corresponds with this verb phrase, we'll ask the question "What has grown?"

The market (for antiques) has

So, market is the SUBJECT corresponding to the verb phrase has/have grown.

Since market is singular, we need the singular verb phrase has grown
This means we can ELIMINATE A and D

At this point, we can ignore some of the "fluff" to help us identify the correct answer.
Notice that for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures is a prepositional phrase that modifies the subject market. So, let's ignore it as we check the remaining answer choices.

B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
Looks good, the singular subject, market, is paired with the singular verb phrase is bringing

C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
No good.
The singular subject, market, is paired with the plural verb bring
ELIMINATE C

E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
No good, the singular subject, market, is paired with the plural verb bring
ELIMINATE E

The correct answer is B

By the way, we have a free video on ignoring the "fluff" in sentences: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... on?id=1158

Cheers,
Brent
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
I would request mr daagh to reply, how can that refer back to fascination.
thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 307 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q44 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.25
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
kunalkhanna wrote:
I would request mr daagh to reply, how can that refer back to fascination.
thanks

'That' is refering to the 'market'.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Errors in the sentence

Split 1 "Has grown" is correct as the subject = the market.

Split 2 - Incorrect verb in relative clause.
Note: the subject of this relative clause is still MARKET. "for bygone styles..." is a prepositional phrase

The verb we want needs to be singular.

B is correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 138
Send PM
VeritasKarishma

That always modifies the noun before it. In this question, shouldn't "fixtures that are bringing" be correct?
Please reply.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2164 [2]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
himanshurajawat wrote:
VeritasKarishma

That always modifies the noun before it. In this question, shouldn't "fixtures that are bringing" be correct?
Please reply.

Hi Himanshurajawat, maybe I can help.

Here, the relative pronoun "that" modifies "market" as it is the market itself that brings back the lounge, sofa etc... the lounge sofa etc. are just examples of the furniture contained in the market, so logically that must only modify "market".

To make this easier to see notice that "for bygone styles ..." is a prepositional modifier that also attaches to market. We can actually remove this and the sentence will still make sense.

Try to think of this more logically. It would be illogical to say the "furniture and fixtures bring back the <example of a furniture">"

This would be akin to saying
"Out of America's fascination with all things fast food have grown a restaurant for fatty burgers that are bringing back the whopper- burger, double-double burger and..."

So we would need to correct this
"Out of America's fascination with all things fast food has grown a restaurant for fatty burgers that is bringing back the whopper- burger, double-double burger and..."

hopefully my example makes more sense.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [3]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a [#permalink]
Kudos