GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 18:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2016, 03:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

62% (01:18) correct 38% (01:24) wrong based on 815 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of ironwork tripled as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery and because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore.

(A) Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of ironwork tripled as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery and because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore

(B) Over the course of the eighteenth century a tripling in the average output of ironwork was due to the replacement of charcoal by coal for the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore, in addition to several improvements in blowing machinery

(C) With charcoal's being replaced by coal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore and several improvements in blowing machinery, the average output of ironwork tripled over the eighteenth century

(D) The replacement of charcoal with coal for the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore and several improvements in blowing machinery, the average output of ironwork tripled over the eighteenth century

(E) Charcoal being replaced by coal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore, and several improvements in blowing machinery, which tripled the average output of ironwork over the course of the eighteenth century

Experts please help explaining why C is incorrect? Thanks in advance.

---------------------------------------------------------
Please kudos me if this helps. Thank you.

Intern
Intern
Re: Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2016, 04:47
You are looking for a cause and effect in the sentence.

A. I didn't really like it but I couldn't find anything wrong.
B. A tripling ...was due to... due to is modifying tripling. Out
C. With Charcoal's - possessive, charcoal is being replaced by coal.
Proposition + Subject + Participle to describe an action.
D. The replacement ....., the average output tripled. first part has no verb.
E. which is not modifying correctly.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy
Premium Member
Re: Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2016, 06:03
A. Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of ironwork tripled as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery and because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore.

A normal construction would be - as a result of several improvements ..... and replacement of coal
In this sentence, by introducing "because" the 2nd clause (coal replaced charcoal..) is not made parallel (this seems to acceptable)

Learnt something new today. Thanks for posting.

B
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2016, 10:43
johnnguyen2016 wrote:
Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of ironwork tripled as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery and because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore.

A. Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of ironwork tripled as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery and because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore.
B. Over the course of the eighteenth century a tripling in the average output of ironwork was due to the replacement of charcoal by coal for the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore, in addition to several improvements in blowing machinery.
C. With charcoal's being replaced by coal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore and several improvements in blowing machinery, the average output of ironwork tripled over the eighteenth century.
D. The replacement of charcoal with coal for the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore and several improvements in blowing machinery, the average output of ironwork tripled over the eighteenth century.
E. Charcoal being replaced by coal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore, and several improvements in blowing machinery, which tripled the average output of ironwork over the course of the eighteenth century.

Experts please help explaining why C is incorrect?
Thanks in advance.

I think that A is the best choice among other, though not ideal because of parallelism. B seems good but word "tripling" sounds weird since we can use word "triple" which is better. C is wrong since "being" is wrong here and since construction "with" is incorrect here. D has no verb. E also has no verb

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2016, 22:00
this can not be official answer .
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2016, 09:14
Hi anyone,

so far,I have ruled out several of options using the concept of non-parallelism :
- noun is not parallel with clause (improvement vs because coal replaced..)

Is there any gap in my understanding?

Please advise
Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GPA: 3.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2016, 13:40
Agreed A may have parallelism problem but other options have some serious problems. The key here is to understand why other answer choices are wrong.Just ignoring a answer choice based on a single concept may not be totally correct especially for the hard questions.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE: Marketing (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 08:14
I chose B. Why B is wrong? Thanks!

There's an app for that - Steve Jobs.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 10:09
A. As a result and because are redundant
B. Seems to be right
C. With charcoal's is wrong as we want to compare charcoal with coal
D. Cause and effect relationship is missing
E. Which refers only to blowing machinery we need a pronoun that refers both replacement of input material and improvements

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2017, 10:48
septwibowo wrote:

SC is as much about finding grammatical errors as it is about Meaning.

B. The structure of B
Over a period of time , a tripling ... was due to .... -----> What's the core verb? 'Was'? Horrible !

Just because 'due to' is used with nouns, the author changed the verb 'tripled' to 'tripling was'. This kind of structure has not only concealed the main action of the sentence incorrectly but also introduced an unidiomatic phrase - tripling in the average.

The structure of A is far better than that of B-
A. Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of ironwork tripled....... - the heart of the sentence is perfectly retained, following the reasons of why it did. Correct
-A-

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.65
WE: Marketing (Education)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2017, 05:09
TaN1213 wrote:
septwibowo wrote:

B. The structure of B
Over a period of time , a tripling ... was due to .... -----> What's the core verb? 'Was'? Horrible !

Just because 'due to' is used with nouns, the author changed the verb 'tripled' to 'tripling was'. This kind of structure has not only concealed the main action of the sentence incorrectly but also introduced an unidiomatic phrase - tripling in the average.

A. Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of ironwork tripled....... - the heart of the sentence is perfectly retained, following the reasons of why it did. Correct
-A-

Thank you for your explanation TaN1213.

However, I think that construction "was due to" is fine.
Magoosh gave example in its course : "The delay was due to rain" and that is perfectly fine : due to modify the delay.

Here, in (B), :

a tripling in the average output of ironwork was due to the replacement of charcoal by coal for the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore, in addition to several improvements in blowing machinery.

- "Due to" modify noun phrase : "a tripling in the average output of ironwork"
- A tripling was due to X, in addition Y.

Wdyt? mikemcgarry, need your clarification here :-)

There's an app for that - Steve Jobs.

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2017, 11:06
septwibowo wrote:

Magoosh gave example in its course : "The delay was due to rain" and that is perfectly fine : due to modify the delay.

Here, in (B), :

a tripling in the average output of ironwork was due to the replacement of charcoal by coal for the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore, in addition to several improvements in blowing machinery.

Dear septwibowo,

I have many things to say in response, my friend. :-)

First of all, I want to acknowledge TaN1213 for an intelligent and thoughtful response. I completely agree with TaN1213.

Next, septwibowo: you got a brilliant explanation from TaN1213 and, rather than learning the deep point that this user presented, you presented a counterargument. One of the deepest questions any student can ask himself is, "Do I want to be right or do I want to learn as much as I can?" You see, it's a paradox: of course on test day, you primarily want to be right (although you can learn even there), but the way to get to that is by disattaching from a need to be right while you are in the role of a student, because being holding to a position of being right can prevent you from picking up a new subtlety.

In this GMAT SC problem, choice (B) is precisely the kind of incorrect answer choice that acts as a trap for non-native speakers: it's 100% grammatically correct but wrong. Virtually all the high level SC questions have at least one such choice. This is a classic predictable trap and you fell into it.

Yes, the "is due to" construction in (B) is 100% grammatically correct. There's absolutely no ambiguity about that: you and I and TaN1213 are in full agreement about that. It's true and also completely besides the point. Choice (B) is 100% grammatically correct but it's still wrong. That's the piece you are missing: you are focused on the grammar and missed that TaN1213's brilliant response was addressing other aspects of the sentence beyond the grammar.

The GMAT SC is NOT primarily a test of grammar. On the GMAT SC, grammar & logic & rhetoric all combine to support meaning.

The principles of good rhetorical construction can be hard for non-native speakers to appreciate, because much of it is intuitive--it's about the "feel" of the sentence. Here's one principle that I can articulate: when a sentence is focused on a main action, this sentence usually will be phrased in the most direct and powerful way when that main action is the main verb of the sentence.

Choice (A) follows this principle fully. Choice (A) is not only grammatically correct but also direct, clear, and powerful. Like almost all correct answers on the GMAT SC, it's an exceptionally well-crafted sentence.

Choice (B) is 100% grammatically correct but it's an embarrassingly awkward and punchless sentence. In particular, the main action of the sentence, "tripling," is congealed as a gerund subject, and the sentence is organized so that a complete non-action verb, "is," winds up as the main verb of the sentence. Any well-read native speaker instantly would recognize this as a poorly written section. The fact that you selected choice (B) as correct and were willing to defend it should tell you a great deal about the progress you still have to make.

Grammar has a lot of rules, although many of the rules have exceptions. Rhetoric doesn't have many rules--it's more intuition-based. A non-native speaker can develop this intuition by cultivating a rigorous habit of reading. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 12:23
TaN1213 wrote:
septwibowo wrote:

B. The structure of B

-A-

TaN1213

In option A "several improvements in blowing machinery" which is a phrase is not parallel to "coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore".

So why is A still the correct choice. Could you please help me out on this??
Director
Director
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 13:09
Prateek176 wrote:
TaN1213 wrote:
septwibowo wrote:

B. The structure of B

-A-

TaN1213

In option A "several improvements in blowing machinery" which is a phrase is not parallel to "coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore".

So why is A still the correct choice. Could you please help me out on this??

Hello,

you're missing the two important parts that is common in structure in the 2 items of the list

How about reading it the following way-
Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of ironwork
[VERB]tripled
1. as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery
2. because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore

'as a result of' = 'resulting from'
'as a result of' works similarly as does 'because of' ; they both work as conjunctions and are therefore parallel in structure.

Hope that makes sense.

Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

Director
Director
P
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 13:33
mikemcgarry wrote:
septwibowo wrote:

Here, in (B), :

Dear septwibowo,

I have many things to say in response, my friend. :-)

First of all, I want to acknowledge TaN1213 for an intelligent and thoughtful response. I completely agree with TaN1213.

Next, septwibowo: you got a brilliant explanation from TaN1213 and, rather than learning the deep point that this user presented, you presented a counterargument. One of the deepest questions any student can ask himself is, "Do I want to be right or do I want to learn as much as I can?" You see, it's a paradox: of course on test day, you primarily want to be right (although you can learn even there), but the way to get to that is by disattaching from a need to be right while you are in the role of a student, because being holding to a position of being right can prevent you from picking up a new subtlety.

In this GMAT SC problem, choice (B) is precisely the kind of incorrect answer choice that acts as a trap for non-native speakers: it's 100% grammatically correct but wrong. Virtually all the high level SC questions have at least one such choice. This is a classic predictable trap and you fell into it.

Yes, the "is due to" construction in (B) is 100% grammatically correct. There's absolutely no ambiguity about that: you and I and TaN1213 are in full agreement about that. It's true and also completely besides the point. Choice (B) is 100% grammatically correct but it's still wrong. That's the piece you are missing: you are focused on the grammar and missed that TaN1213's brilliant response was addressing other aspects of the sentence beyond the grammar.

The GMAT SC is NOT primarily a test of grammar. On the GMAT SC, grammar & logic & rhetoric all combine to support meaning.

The principles of good rhetorical construction can be hard for non-native speakers to appreciate, because much of it is intuitive--it's about the "feel" of the sentence. Here's one principle that I can articulate: when a sentence is focused on a main action, this sentence usually will be phrased in the most direct and powerful way when that main action is the main verb of the sentence.

Choice (A) follows this principle fully. Choice (A) is not only grammatically correct but also direct, clear, and powerful. Like almost all correct answers on the GMAT SC, it's an exceptionally well-crafted sentence.

Choice (B) is 100% grammatically correct but it's an embarrassingly awkward and punchless sentence. In particular, the main action of the sentence, "tripling," is congealed as a gerund subject, and the sentence is organized so that a complete non-action verb, "is," winds up as the main verb of the sentence. Any well-read native speaker instantly would recognize this as a poorly written section. The fact that you selected choice (B) as correct and were willing to defend it should tell you a great deal about the progress you still have to make.

Grammar has a lot of rules, although many of the rules have exceptions. Rhetoric doesn't have many rules--it's more intuition-based. A non-native speaker can develop this intuition by cultivating a rigorous habit of reading. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Thank you for the acknowledgement. I'm highly obliged for your posts as I indeed have learnt these skills from them.

Posted from my mobile device

Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2018, 11:49
TaN1213 wrote:

you're missing the two important parts that is common in structure in the 2 items of the list

How about reading it the following way-
Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of ironwork
[VERB]tripled
1. as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery
2. because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore

'as a result of' = 'resulting from'
'as a result of' works similarly as does 'because of' ; they both work as conjunctions and are therefore parallel in structure.

Hope that makes sense.

TaN1213

As per your solution

1. is a phrase
2. is a clause

So isn't there a parallelism issue?
Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 12:14
MartyMurray , GMATNinja

I somehow feel A is not the correct answer because

1. as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery (A phrase)
2. because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore (A clause)

Both don't seem parallel
Manager
Manager
G
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2018, 16:46
Prateek176 wrote:
I somehow feel A is not the correct answer because

1. as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery (A phrase)
2. because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore (A clause)

Both don't seem parallel

The only situations in which wording alone REALLY affects whether structures are considered parallel are situations in which gerunds or infinitives are used in lists.

While, for instance, "to swim" and "swimming" could both function as nouns, the GMAT, and most writers, prefer that the two forms not be mixed.

So the GMAT would not prefer the following:

In summer, the vacationers like to swim and going to the beach.

It would prefer either of the following:

In summer, the vacationers like to swim and to go to the beach.

In summer, the vacationers like swimming and going to the beach.

However, the wording in most cases does not have to be so exactly parallel. Consider the following, which would be fine on the GMAT:

The car is shiny and well kept.

While "shiny" is an adjective and "kept" is a participle, since they modify the noun "car" in similar ways, adjectivally, the structure is considered parallel.

Let's now consider choice (A).

(A) Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of ironwork tripled as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery and because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore.

We have two modifiers modifying "tripled":

as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery

because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore

"as a result of several improvements in blowing machinery" is a phrase that serves as an adverb.

"because coal replaced charcoal as the fuel used in the smelting of iron ore" is an adverb clause.

So, even though the two structures don't look parallel, they both function adverbially and, thus, are parallel in a logical sense. So, choice (A) is solid.

Marty Murray
GMAT Coach
m.w.murray@hotmail.com
http://infinitemindprep.com

GMAT Club Bot
Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of &nbs [#permalink] 28 Sep 2018, 16:46

Over the course of the eighteenth century, the average output of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap