GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Apr 2019, 21:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Over the past five years, the quality of synthetic diamonds — first pr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
Over the past five years, the quality of synthetic diamonds — first pr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2018, 23:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

86% (00:45) correct 14% (00:53) wrong based on 115 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Over the past five years, the quality of synthetic diamonds — first produced in the 1950s for industrial uses such as cutting and polishing — have increased so much that many experts cannot differentiate between synthetic diamonds and real ones.

A. have increased so much that many experts cannot differentiate between synthetic diamonds and real ones

B. have increased to such a large degree that some experts cannot differentiate synthetic diamonds from real ones

C. have increased so much that some experts cannot differentiate synthetic diamonds from real ones

D. has increased so much that some experts cannot differentiate synthetic diamonds from real ones

E. has increased to such a large degree that some experts cannot differentiate synthetic diamonds between real ones

P
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.98
Re: Over the past five years, the quality of synthetic diamonds — first pr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2018, 23:36
IMO ans is D
Subject quality of synthetic diamonds - requires singular verb has, so A, B, C are out.
E uses wrong idiom differentiate A between B.

So D best choice.
B
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Over the past five years, the quality of synthetic diamonds — first pr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2018, 23:58
Bunuel wrote:
Over the past five years, the quality of synthetic diamonds — first produced in the 1950s for industrial uses such as cutting and polishing — have increased so much that many experts cannot differentiate between synthetic diamonds and real ones.

A. have increased so much that many experts cannot differentiate between synthetic diamonds and real ones

B. have increased to such a large degree that some experts cannot differentiate synthetic diamonds from real ones

C. have increased so much that some experts cannot differentiate synthetic diamonds from real ones

D. has increased so much that some experts cannot differentiate synthetic diamonds from real ones

E. has increased to such a large degree that some experts cannot differentiate synthetic diamonds between real ones

Answer should be option D.
The phrase 'quality of diamonds' should be followed by 'has' and not 'have'. So this logic gives us options D & E.
Now, in option E, the part 'cannot differentiate synthetic between real ones' is not correct. Instead of 'between', it should have been 'from' which is the case in option D.
Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2018, 00:03
Over the past five years, THE QUALITY of synthetic diamonds — first produced in the 1950s for industrial uses such as cutting and polishing — have increased so much that many experts cannot differentiate between synthetic diamonds and real ones.

D. has increased so much that some experts cannot differentiate synthetic diamonds from real ones - correct

D
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Over the past five years, the quality of synthetic diamonds — first pr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 01:00
VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

With the clear subject-verb agreement decision point (has vs. have increased) at the start of each answer choice, you should start by analyzing that. To find the proper subject, use the slash-and-burn technique to remove all the modifiers: “the quality…have increased” OR “the quality…has increased.” Since “quality” is singular it must be “has increased” and you can eliminate (A), (B), and (C) confidently.

The choice between (D) and (E) comes down to several differences in diction between the two choices. It is correct to say “differentiate x from y” or “differentiate between x and y” but it is quite clearly incorrect to mix the two: you cannot “differentiate x between y”. Also, “to such a large degree that” is an unnecessarily awkward construction when “so much that” expresses the same meaning. (E) can be eliminated based on these diction errors leaving the correct answer (D), which contains proper subject-verb agreement and concisely expresses the meaning with the proper “so much that” and “differentiate x from y.”

Project CR Butler - 2 CR's everyday
Intern
Intern
B
WE: Brand Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 03:53
i answered the question correctly becuase of the SV problem , but wanted to know can "some" replace "many".
Veritas Prep Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 04:11
Top Contributor
nikhilbhat wrote:
i answered the question correctly becuase of the SV problem , but wanted to know can "some" replace "many".

Yeah that's a good question and honestly I bet the question author didn't even notice that distinction (I know I didn't on first read until I scrolled down and saw your question...that's the danger with getting so good at finding the actionable decision points that you get so focused on those that you barely notice other differences).

I'd consider it a pretty important strategic note that you DO NOT need to worry about "preserving the meaning of A." For whatever reason that becomes a priority for a lot of students but there's no special value to A...it's just one of five proposed ways to express the idea and because so many grammatical errors impact meaning (for example a misplaced modifier is wrong precisely because it creates an illogical meaning) then 80% of the time the meaning of A is flawed and you MUST make some change to that meaning in order to get the problem right. So while like I said in this case I'd bet "some" vs. "many" is an unintentional difference, I still think the lesson holds that I'd never use something like that as a decision point because neither meaning is illogical and there's no rule that you have to uphold the meaning of the original.

Curriculum Developer, Instructor, and Host of Veritas Prep On Demand

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Over the past five years, the quality of synthetic diamonds — first pr   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2019, 04:11

Over the past five years, the quality of synthetic diamonds — first pr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap