Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which program should I choose?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [1]
Given Kudos: 18859
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V53
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Re: Owen ($$) v Kenan-Flagler ($$) v Foster ($) for tech [Solved: Foster] [#permalink]
Kudos
Thank you both for your insight!

I heard back from Foster, and they offered me a Forte Fellowship covering ~25% of my in-state tuition.

ROI is very important to me as I've worked very hard to stay out of debt this far in my life.

I think Foster is a no-brainer since I want to go into tech, but it would be VERY tough for me to turn down a scholarship that covers full tuition at another competitive program, especially since both other programs on the east coast have placed graduates with tech companies on the west coast as well. Is there any wiggle room with merit scholarship offers if I reach out to AdCom?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [0]
Send PM
Re: Owen ($$) v Kenan-Flagler ($$) v Foster ($) for tech [Solved: Foster] [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Congratulations!!!
Thanks for posting back about your Foster result.
I thin it is worth bringing up your scholarship from KF and Owen to them. Here is my main scholarships topic: https://gmatclub.com/forum/negotiating- ... 12949.html

As to the ROI, I think KF with a scholarship would be better than Foster with 25% off... esp. taking into consideration your comfort level with debt and immediate economic outlook. While Foster is close to tech and you are on the ground, it does not command access to premium positions. You can network remotely, which if the Corona is here to stay in the fall, you will be remote even in Seattle....

happywhenoutside wrote:
Thank you both for your insight!

I heard back from Foster, and they offered me a Forte Fellowship covering ~25% of my in-state tuition.

ROI is very important to me as I've worked very hard to stay out of debt this far in my life.

I think Foster is a no-brainer since I want to go into tech, but it would be VERY tough for me to turn down a scholarship that covers full tuition at another competitive program, especially since both other programs on the east coast have placed graduates with tech companies on the west coast as well. Is there any wiggle room with merit scholarship offers if I reach out to AdCom?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
As to the ROI, I think KF with a scholarship would be better than Foster with 25% off... esp. taking into consideration your comfort level with debt and immediate economic outlook. While Foster is close to tech and you are on the ground, it does not command access to premium positions. You can network remotely, which if the Corona is here to stay in the fall, you will be remote even in Seattle....

Hey bb,

Can you expand on your comment that Foster does not command access to premium positions? I'm surprised to hear that.

I have pretty much eliminated UNC (due to fit reasons) from my list, and it's really between Owen and Foster in my mind. Owen because I think Vanderbilt has a solid brand, and I've talked to some current students who have had success going into tech--also I think Nashville would be a fun place to live for a couple of years before returning to the west coast. I did bring up that I got scholarships to both other programs, but I'm not very hopeful for more $ from UW. But your comment about premium positions has me reeling some.

A big percentage of Foster grads go into tech consistently each year. Does that just mean they took "non-premium" positions?

I've also read that Foster is #1 for job placement and highly ranked for ROI as well. If $ were not an issue, should I go to Foster?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
What I was told (and I believed) that while some schools place well into tech such as amazon and Apple, many of the placements are in procurement or operations roles and not per se the coveted PPM roles. I have heard this from the Top 10 people. Let’s see if I am wrong and we should really ask someone like TryingToMakeIt - how do you feel Foster placement performs into the most competitive positions? How wrong am I? :lol:

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [1]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Hi congrats for all three admits you have. I think you heart goes between Foster and UNC.

If healthcare and tech are both your aims, then definitely Foster is much better choice than UNC. Foster has even MHA (Master of Health Administration) and is closer to big tech companies

So you got 50% fellowship from UNC and 25% from Foster? If this is the case, Foster still commands the better choice

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 680 Q1 V1
Send PM
Kudos
For some reason I missed the tag here bb, my bad!

I don't know if I agree with us not getting to premium positions (in tech), haha. I could see someone saying that about banking or consulting, sure. Here are some examples of the kinds of roles people had during their internships last year, in tech (i.e. my classmates), if that helps!

MSFT - PMM, Finance
AMZN - PMT, PM, FLDP, RLDP, Cloudpath PM
Google - roles usually depending on applicant's background, anything from PM to Ops
VMWare, Adobe, Autodesk, Snap, SAP, Twilio, NetApp - PM, Finance, Strategy, etc etc

Over the years our reach to better companies and better roles has improved a toooon. I like that about Foster, in the two years I've been here I've seen improvements year on year. Current first years are killing it.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Thank you all for your input!

I'm down to the Owen deposit deadline tomorrow (Foster's isn't until 5/4) and still am flip-flopping. I have been leaning heavily toward Foster in the past week. BUT then I attended (and was really impressed by) the Owen virtual welcome weekend yesterday, and I talked to a few current students who were all very honest with me which I appreciated. I definitely felt the "fit" when visiting Foster's campus/classes over the past year, but since I wasn't able to visit Vandy in person I think this is the closest to feeling my "fit" there as well.

Should I pay the $2500 deposit to hold my spot at Owen and hold out if Foster will up their $? Or do you think the benefits of attending a tech-heavy program like Foster will outweigh any difference in tuition costs? Or should I just take the money and run with Owen? Any additional thoughts are very much welcomed!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
My concern is that Owen does not place well in the WA/CA Tech. People are likely going to Austin, Atlanta, and South East. Only 20 graduates out roughly 150 who filled out the employment report have gotten a job in either CA, WA, or Oregon (among ALL industries and job functions). This means that's not a big feeder market for the program so you will have fewer organized events/trips/etc (just a guess). Let me see if I can find some of the active current students and see if they can pitch in.

Hang in there :-)
BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Organizational Behavior, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 680 Q1 V1
Send PM
Kudos
Unfortunately I can't speak on behalf of Foster's adcom and say that you have a chance (or not!) of getting more $, but I can say that generally speaking schools are strapped for cash and you may not be able to bank on any additional money coming in :) if possible, try to attend our welcome weekend (this coming Friday - Sunday) and see if anything can help you in making your decision!

Can Owen extend your deposit deadline? I assume the $2500 won't come back should you decide not to attend.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [5]
Send PM
Kudos