Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:36 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Oxford
 Q44  V49
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International business, pharmaceutical, bio-tech
Schools:Cambridge/Judge '11
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:HEC, Oxford, ESADE, Cambridge, IMD
GMAT 2: 660  Q44  V37
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Oxbridge 2010 Applicants [#permalink]
Haha, adcom James Barker seems to remindapplicants about spelling errors in every round, on his Twitter page. :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:columbia - interview(RD), UCLA- interview (rd 2), USC- interview(rd 2), oxford- interview (rd 2), cambridge- waitlist (rd 3), london b-school- ding w/out interview(rd 2), yale (rd 2)
 Q46  V41
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
going to be in oxford from 3/1-3/7 for interview/touring but i'm looking for rooms now and they're really expensive. anyone want to split a room? I'm 25 y/o male from usa. thx.
Current Student
Send PM
Finnish cargo transport strike - suspended until March.
BA strike - earliest possible date 1. March.
Heavy snowfall in the UK - expected on Monday the latest.

Enough excitement in anticipation of my Oxbridge interviews next week... So far so good. :roll:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:INSEAD: Waitlisted Jan 2010, Interview invite Jan 2011.
WE 1: Banking
Send PM
Hi All, one query on the interview qsns: how is the question "why not LBS/wharton?" to be answered? Any tips from R1 admits? Would it be believable to say that you'd prefer Oxford over LBS/HBS? or else, is it ok to say that LBS is the prefered choice or maybe that you got dinged at LBS? Would a ding at another such school show you in a bad light?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools:Oxford '11
Send PM
rishiphadke wrote:
Hi All, one query on the interview qsns: how is the question "why not LBS/wharton?" to be answered? Any tips from R1 admits? Would it be believable to say that you'd prefer Oxford over LBS/HBS? or else, is it ok to say that LBS is the prefered choice or maybe that you got dinged at LBS? Would a ding at another such school show you in a bad light?

What makes you think they would ask such a question? I would guess that the adcom will ask what schools you've applied to and then follow up about why SBS is a better fit. If you have applied to HBS/LBS/INSEAD/Wharton, and you tell the interviewer, be prepared to answer why SBS is a better fit than all of those. If not, I see no reason why the adcom would ask the above question.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Anyone, who is going to UK for F2F interview, how you folks are managing the Forex?

I will be travelling from USA and not sure on where best to get the UK pound - at airport OR get traveller's chequ from banks in USA. Any help on this one folks ?

Also during my couple of days of stay - how do I take medical insurance - first of all is it a must in UK ?

Thanks a lot / AP
Current Student
Send PM
I usually get a few pounds in my home country before I leave, so that I can pay bus etc. fees before finding an ATM. Otherwise I just use my credit card to pay or withdraw from the wall.

If you're traveling you are according to my knowledge never required to have insurance, but a travel insurance is always good to have. You can get it from your travel agent, airline, or perhaps your home/car/etc insurance company. A travel insurance can cover also lost/damaged luggage. Ask around in your home country.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Anne, but what would be the best way to convert money - at airport forex counter / are there any other options ?

Thanks / Ap

annae wrote:
I usually get a few pounds in my home country before I leave, so that I can pay bus etc. fees before finding an ATM. Otherwise I just use my credit card to pay or withdraw from the wall.

If you're traveling you are according to my knowledge never required to have insurance, but a travel insurance is always good to have. You can get it from your travel agent, airline, or perhaps your home/car/etc insurance company. A travel insurance can cover also lost/damaged luggage. Ask around in your home country.
Current Student
Send PM
ap1010 wrote:
Thanks Anne, but what would be the best way to convert money - at airport forex counter / are there any other options ?

Most expensive ways are often airports and banks. I use a private exchange agency with good rates. Take a look around, and again, Google is your friend. :)

You might also want to find out the costs for ATM withdrawal and/or credit card use abroad.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Annae for your advise.

Yes ...I know your advise from last time on Google being good frined. It is indeed good friend...it is just that I am running against time and it is always better to learn from people's experience, hence so many questions ;-)

annae wrote:
ap1010 wrote:

Most expensive ways are often airports and banks. I use a private exchange agency with good rates. Take a look around, and again, Google is your friend. :)

You might also want to find out the costs for ATM withdrawal and/or credit card use abroad.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Any help on medical insurance requirements in UK ?

Thanks/ AP

annae wrote:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:columbia - interview(RD), UCLA- interview (rd 2), USC- interview(rd 2), oxford- interview (rd 2), cambridge- waitlist (rd 3), london b-school- ding w/out interview(rd 2), yale (rd 2)
 Q46  V41
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
has anyone interviewed yet and if you have... what did you think of the interview? Was it basic q's or did they try and ask more difficult questions than why oxford/why an mba/why now, etc.?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:USC(CGSM), NYU(Int), Texas(CGSM), Ross(CGSM), LBS(Int), Kellogg(Int,JDMBA)
Send PM
How competitive are the final rounds for Oxford? I know Cambridge has another round in March, but am interested to know if its worth applying this late in the game. Please advise.
Current Student
Send PM
JoeMahmah, I have a hunch that all rounds should theoretically have equal chance... at least that's something I remember reading. However, Saïd doesn't seem to have a waitlist, or so I've heard, so in case a lot of stellar candidates apply in early rounds I could imagine they're offered a place regardless of the quotum limit per round.

Greetings from Oxford, I'm fresh back from my interview, which I think went well. Sarah was very friendly and easily approachable. It was more of a discussion, since she had read my application and I also wanted to ask some things of her. We talked about my career line and goals and specifically what I a) expect to do post-MBA, b) expect to gain from the MBA and the Oxford networks, and c) what the class can expect from me.

Because of my less usual background and the fact that the interviewer works in career services, we were able to discuss my possibilities of tackling the MBA and integrating into the networks available, to draw the most from the year I'm here.

The interviewer also works in Cambridge, and she said what everybody says: the place are very similar but very different, and that definitely one will resonate better with me. I'm really excited since I'm going there later today. But first, lunch with fellow GMAT clubbers. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Oxford
 Q44  V49
Send PM
Congrats anna! Let us know how ur Cambridge interview goes. Either way you win cuz they're both great programs. :)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools:Oxford '11
Send PM
Thanks annae for the interview feedback. I'll be in SF tomorrow for the interview and will hopefully have some positive vibes and words of wisdom to pass on, as well.

To answer someone else's question: I've read that Oxford has plenty of room for Rd 3 applicants. So don't be discouraged to apply late.

J
Current Student
Send PM
Greetings from Heathrow airport this time. :) Quick recap of the Cambridge interview to kill the time:

My goodness it was tough. But friendly, and encouraging. My every thought and career move or goal was questioned. On the other hand it was good because it really made me review the reasons behind the decisions I made and my career up to date, kind of measuring the solidity behind my arguments and my goals. I did end up with a positive feeling after the interrogation, and all in all the staff were wery welcoming and friendly. The school is very different from Saïd, almost a little daring and artsy in design - I like it. Now thumbs up. :)

jon82, good luck with the interview! Let us know how it went.

Thanks lastmanstanding and buffdaddy for the lunch company. It was great to meet up and to hear about the MBA experience from a current student.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  16   17   18   19   20   21   22  ...  35