Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 10:37 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 10:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51455 [4]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Calling all Haas (Berkeley) Applicants: 2017 Intake (Class of 2019)!! [#permalink]
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Conquering Sticker Shock: Insights Into financing your EMBA, Part II

Paying for an EMBA program can be a daunting prospect, sometimes requiring creative solutions. One of our students describes his solution, entering into a financing partnership with his company to achieve a mutually beneficial outcome. These negotiations can be sensitive, with employers not necessarily wanting to set a public precedent, so for today’s entry, we’ve maintained our student’s anonymity.

What led you to consider an Executive MBA program?
I started my professional life as a scientist. As my career progressed, I found myself in positions that were increasingly business facing. It became clear that getting an MBA would be the best way to grow my capabilities. The focused nature of the Berkeley-Haas EMBA and the caliber of the students really appealed to me.

How did the cost of tuition factor into your decision to apply? What funding options did you consider?
This is a big investment; it’s not something you do on a whim. The EMBA tuition at any top program casts a financial shadow over your life. You need to figure out financing early on. 

Self-funding came to mind first—savings accounts and cashing in my company stock options—but I have children who will be applying to college soon, and I didn’t want to limit their options. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that my employer and I would have to be all in if I were to succeed in the program. After all, you’re asking for a substantial amount of time away from the job. Certainly, we both would benefit in the long run, though, so why not share the financing as well?

How did you approach getting employer sponsorship for your EMBA?
Very carefully and thoughtfully. A key opportunity lies in clarifying the value that your professional development can mean for your company.

Because the cost of an EMBA is an order of magnitude greater than a typical tuition reimbursement program, you need to make a strong business case and present it to the key decision makers in your organization: your manager certainly, and probably directly to relevant senior C-suite executives. Ideally, these will also include one or more individuals who will write a reference letter for your admission. In my situation, I was able to deliver a strong signal that the EMBA experience would align my career with the path that my company is on and demonstrate how gaining a formal business education would allow me to bring additional value to the company.

In the end, my employer and I shared the cost. That gave all of us skin in the game—an excellent motivator for both sides. You want your company to be genuinely interested in what your EMBA experience teaches you and to provide opportunities for you to put classroom learning into real-world practice.

What advice would you give to people about financing an EMBA?
Look at all the financing options, including scholarships. Applying for an EMBA scholarship at Berkeley-Haas is as simple as writing another essay on your application. It’s worth the effort; consider the value per extra hour of essay writing time.

In the bigger picture, once you’ve decided to do this, don’t let the cost deter you; there are more ways to solve the funding challenge than you might think. The experience has more than paid off in terms of the people I’ve met, the network I’ve acquired, the experience and knowledge I’ve gained, and the insights and tools I was able to put to use on the job, right from the very first study block.

Looking back on the program, I’ve been able to complete my studies without depleting my children’s college funds, and know that they will have the chance to attend their dream colleges, just as I’ve done at Berkeley-Haas.

Get assistance figuring out your options for financing your EMBA by scheduling a consultation with a member of our Admissions staff.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Calling all Haas (Berkeley) Applicants: 2017 Intake (Class of 2019)!! [#permalink]
souvik101990 wrote:
Just got an interview invite. There is still hope people. (I have been waiting to post this for SO LONG)

Congrats! I wasn't asked about the core values but it seemed that many people were asked about which core value most resonated with them. Everything else is about getting to know you: why MBA, why Haas, why you are in the field you are in right now, what you want to do after MBA, etc... Haas is really into teamwork and collaboration so it might be a good idea to show that you're a great team player through your examples and that you genuinely enjoy helping people.

Good luck!
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Haas Admissions Blog: Meet two Berkeley MBA Students named "Women to Watch"

In recognition of International Women's Day, Poets & Quants issued a list of women to watch from the MBA class of 2018 that includes Full-time Berkeley MBA students Kasey Koopmans and Amanda Parker (pictured above).

Finding a Career of Meaning: Kasey Koopmans

Previously interviewed by Poets & Quants, Kasey is a Seattle native who has hiked from Mexico to Canada on the Pacific Crest Trail, interned with Save the Children in Nepal, and conducted market research in Myanmar.

She told Poets & Quants that she has spent her early career "seeking displacement," and says, "These experiences opened doors to positions and responsibilities that compelled personal and professional development." Her dream job is with a company "on the cutting edge of innovation, solving a messy problem in an unprecedented way, with an explicit mission related to social and environmental impact."

The Berkeley MBA and social impact  >>More

She describes Berkeley-Haas as "overrun with ambitious and down-to-earth humans" and a place to be her "unabashed self. Kasey told Poets & Quants, "More than any other school I considered, I believed the earnestness behind Haas’ commitment to help me find a career of meaning. Turns out it was a slam dunk."

Solving Food System Issues: Amanda Parker
Passionate about innovation and education in the food industry, Amanda Parker told Poets & Quants she is often known as "cheese girl." Amanda is one of nearly 600 Certified Cheese Professionals, and has developed a national training program to prepare others for the certification.

On her career aspirations, she told Poets & Quants she would be thrilled to work in the food innovation space in a strategic, creative way. "I look to places like IDEO and its food and beverage group, or to the many companies...looking to solve issues in our food systems."

A connection to the Berkeley MBA Program's emphasis on "impactful, selfless leadership and personal transformation" attracted her to Berkeley-Haas, as did the Bay Area location for her future in food: "Amazing restaurants, farms, and innovators just minutes away!"

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10019 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Just 10 days left for final results. How is everyone holding up? See live decision updates on Decision Tracker https://gmatclub.com/forum/haas-195/app-tracker.html

Interviewed applicants mind sharing their interview experiences?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 3.06
Send PM
Kudos
Narenn wrote:
Just 10 days left for final results. How is everyone holding up? See live decision updates on Decision Tracker https://gmatclub.com/forum/haas-195/app-tracker.html

Just got my interview invitation, just when i thought it's a longshot for the invite...

can anybody help me what to prepare, I have been learning a lot about haas 4 defining principles and choose my story that relates to it... Thank you and wish me luck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Application still "Under Review"..Looks like a Ding for sure... :cry: :cry:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Same here :(

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Haas takes like 10 Indians per yeat (if that)
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51455 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
bb10 wrote:

Are you taking about Indians from India? Then the figure is a lot less than that.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Retired Moderator
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
bb10 wrote:

Are you taking about Indians from India? Then the figure is a lot less than that.

Yea Indians from India. It varies. 2015 had like 4 I think. 2016 batch had a few more.

Bottom like is, its very few ppl.
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
bb10 wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
bb10 wrote:

Yea Indians from India. It varies. 2015 had like 4 I think. 2016 batch had a few more.

Bottom like is, its very few ppl.

AFAIK, Class of 2017 has 3. Class of 2016 has 5-6. (Source: Haas Current Student)
Retired Moderator
Send PM
You're debating semantics - I have the same source.

Bottom line : I can't get no, Invitiations!!
Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
Last round, Haas seemed to send invitations to Indians even a day or two before the deadline. Don't lose hope.

Alum
Send PM
Expert Reply
Plus it seems like you've made it to two great schools. Congratulations.

Retired Moderator
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Plus it seems like you've made it to two great schools. Congratulations.

Meraa mannnn, haas ko hi chaahheee!!

:)

Just kidding man. wrong forum to ask this question - but which of those two would you choose?

You can pm if you like!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Technology, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
aekukula wrote:
Narenn wrote:

Just got my interview invitation, just when i thought it's a longshot for the invite...

can anybody help me what to prepare, I have been learning a lot about haas 4 defining principles and choose my story that relates to it... Thank you and wish me luck

In my case I did not get any fit questions (about 4 principles, clubs, extracurricular activities etc) contrary to my expectations based on all reports I've seen.
Interviewer seemed polite, yet quite distant and somewhat cold. Not sure if he tried to act professionally and without showing his reaction. We talked a lot about professional aspect and nothing about fit.
Maybe adcom just did not ask to check those fit questions, because answers were obvious from my application, or my interviewer just decided right away that I do not fit Haas and decided not to waste time on fit questions.

Anyway, alum interviews tend to be widespread in terms of quality and reliability from adcom perspective (this is true for all alum interviews in other schools). Every person is different and alums aren't really well prepared for interviews comparing to professional interviewers from adcom. Generally, Haas interviews tend to be the most relaxing and conversational, and with some outliers as my interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
Send PM
My app has JUST changed from "ready to review" to "under review". (Honestly it could've been over the weekend, I had stopped looking assuming a ding.) Do I dare still hold out hope for an interview? LatAm candidate living in SF.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts