Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 10:31 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 10:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
keats wrote:
750 to 780: They have probably finalized on the candidates. Or may be doing that in a day or a week. No point sending the update later than mid next week. Do you think you can take the test by then ? Also, you already have a 99%. Increasing those 30 points won't make it a 100% So, you might think before shelling out those $$

A new job : Probably.

Clause: If that positions you well when compared to your previous job.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Thanks mate!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V41
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
bb10 wrote:
Narenn wrote:
Just 1 week left for final results. How is everyone holding up? Anyone yet to finish interview?

In the 7th stage of shock - where I fight concepts of emotion and reality.

Its a post modern battle between metaphysical karmic balances and probabilistic reality checks.

Plus my stomach is upset.

Same here! I had to take off from work yesterday and today I saw a doctor. Mine is not just upset but is crying at a most unexpected moments..Don't know how am I going to go through the weekend. And then there are two more days to go afterwards..
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Well, whatever happens, it is neither the beginning nor the end of our efforts.

This forum is full of ambitious and thoughtful professionals/students. As long as we keep working hard and doing our best everyday, we will be fine.

One rejection/acceptance does not define our future.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
bb10 wrote:
How many Indian students waiting on Kellogg R2?

Also, What are some good Strategies to get off the waitlist?
Will it help to increase score from 750 to 780?
What about a new job?

Looking back on the application process, I think 750 is insufficient to make the GMAT score stand out for Indian students. I see 770 as a score that gives you an edge, assuming other parts of the application are similar. Since applicants are compared to others with similar profiles, if you have an opportunity to increase your score by at least 20 points, I say go for it. A new job will always help.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
asokg wrote:
bb10 wrote:

What about a new job?

Looking back on the application process, I think 750 is insufficient to make the GMAT score stand out for Indian students. I see 770 as a score that gives you an edge, assuming other parts of the application are similar. Since applicants are compared to others with similar profiles, if you have an opportunity to increase your score by at least 20 points, I say go for it. A new job will always help.

Thanks!

If I join somewhere now - there will only be 5 months before round 1 deadlines - not sure if I can make enough of an impact.

But will think about it. Will def retake the GMAT - I know I can hit a 780
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Growth, Scaling, and Life Lessons from Jimmy Johns Founder & CEO
https://kelloggmbastudents.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/img_9925-jimmyjohns-update1.jpg?w=627

By Lauren Davis ’18

Every week at Kellogg there is an impressive schedule of lunch & learns, panels, and events with leaders from all industries and sizes of companies. These events are in addition to the business leaders who are brought in as guest lecturers in courses like New Venture Discovery, as clients for courses like Analytical Consulting Lab, or as judges in case competitions like the Kellogg Business Design Challenge. Since starting here in the Fall, I have heard from several accomplished entrepreneurs and professionals, including:

• Founder of OkCupid, Sam Yagan
  • Co-Founder of Bucketfeet, Raaja Nemani
  • President of Red Lobster, Salli Setta
  • Founder & Managing Partner of TEN35, Sherman Wright
  • Former VP Operations at eBay, John Courtney
  • And so many others!
These events have quickly become one of my favorite parts of the Kellogg experience. I find myself looking at the calendar months in advance to be sure I get a seat at every speaker event that looks interesting. So, when I saw that the founder and CEO of Jimmy Johns was coming to campus, I signed up immediately.

Facilitated by Professor Karin O’Connor, the scheduled 1-hour roundtable with Jimmy John Liautaud turned into almost 2 hours of engaging story telling. It felt like we circled the world with him and got a firsthand account of his journey, from the initial loan his dad gave him at age 18 to the upcoming plans he has for the franchise.

Many of his lessons complemented the tools taught in the core curriculum. From my Business Strategy and Operations Management classes, I saw the Assets and Activities framework coming to life as he explained his use of high quality ingredients and superior service, combined with a laser-focus on efficient operations, to achieve competitive advantage in the marketplace. As the small group of ~15 students went around the room asking questions, a few key growth & scaling lessons stood out in the stories he told:

Be Disciplined

• Find what you are good at and take time to perfect it.
  • Avoid chasing passing fads to make a quick buck.
  • Know your risk tolerance and resist the temptation to take on more debt than you need.
  • Do not rush growth. Be meticulous and only grow in the right locations at the right time.
Recruit Good Leaders

• Hire eagles, not ducks. Eagles will hire other eagles, because they’re not afraid of being eaten, but a duck will never hire an eagle.
Play Where You Can Win

• Both in your business and charitable endeavors, choose organizations and opportunities where your expertise, skills, or contributions will result in a real and lasting impact.
As the discussion drew to a close, I was last around the table to ask a question. I had so many I wanted to ask, but when it was my turn only one thing came to mind. I asked if he had ever been afraid. It was a question with an obvious answer – of course he had. Everyone is afraid at some point in their career. But earlier that week I had gone to an event called Hear My Story, where a panel of students shared their experiences on a theme, which that week happened to be “Failure Stories.”  The openness and vulnerability of those classmates is likely what inspired my question of Mr. Liautaud, and the response he gave was unexpectedly moving.

Mr. Liautaud opened up about the mistakes he made in managing money early on, and the anguish he felt when he had to borrow money from a friend to make payroll. He talked about how this affected him as a leader and how he made it a priority from then on to do right by his employees. He then told us about a particularly painful time when he lost a partner and good friend on the eve of their second store opening, and the struggle it was to keep moving forward in the face of tragedy.

When you read about peoples’ staggering successes, it can be easy to forget the real emotion and daily struggle that comes with the journey. The raw honesty and open dialogue we had throughout the roundtable made for an incredibly powerful discussion. These moments where I can immerse myself in someone else’s story are what make my experience at Kellogg so much more than just the pursuit of a degree. The tactical skills I learn in the classroom will help me excel at my next job, but stories like these will help me get through challenges I cannot yet anticipate.

Lauren Davis ’18 is a 2Y student at Kellogg.

Filed under: Career, Student Life Tagged: Growth, growth and scaling, Jimmy Johns https://feeds.wordpress.com/1.0/comments ... .com/8440/
https://pixel.wp.com/b.gif?host=kellogg ... ef=&feed=1
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
asokg wrote:
bb10 wrote:

What about a new job?

I think working on GMAT even after you've scored 740 or above is solving the wrong problem. I've no source to know what ad-coms would think though. If you can make a case about why you needed a better score - may be because of a personal goal- may be that could work.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: ISB '17
Send PM
JamieCecil wrote:
I am from India.

I was first given an interview waiver. But then I reached out to Kellogg telling them i was more than willing to do a skype interview, if that was an option. Kellogg responded saying that was not an option. But almost 5 days later, I was invited for a skype interview.

I don’t know whether I was invited because they were further interested in my profile or because I requested them for an interview and they didn’t want to make me feel bad (but they did initially tell me that skype interview was not an option).

Can anyone please share their thoughts on how the school would have looked at my profile? And also if there is a chance for me to be hopeful?

Thanks in advance.

Do you guys think getting an interview waiver is a certain No from Kellogg ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1264 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
samarths Mostly, yes.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
samarths wrote:
JamieCecil wrote:
I am from India.

I was first given an interview waiver. But then I reached out to Kellogg telling them i was more than willing to do a skype interview, if that was an option. Kellogg responded saying that was not an option. But almost 5 days later, I was invited for a skype interview.

I don’t know whether I was invited because they were further interested in my profile or because I requested them for an interview and they didn’t want to make me feel bad (but they did initially tell me that skype interview was not an option).

Can anyone please share their thoughts on how the school would have looked at my profile? And also if there is a chance for me to be hopeful?

Thanks in advance.

Do you guys think getting an interview waiver is a certain No from Kellogg ?

Getting an interview waiver is not a rejection or no in itself. However, there is no admission without the interview. So unless an interview waiver converts into a interview call at a later date, it's a No.

Terribly sorry!! :(

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10021 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
We would really appreciate if interviewed applicants post their experiences here. We saw quite a few interview reports in R1 but not many in this round. Thanks in advance!
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10021 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Just 2 days left for the decisions! Anyone getting anxious?

Looking at previous trends Kellogg is likely call admits on decision day i.e. March 22nd. Good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Narenn wrote:

Looking at previous trends Kellogg is likely call admits on decision day i.e. March 22nd. Good luck everyone!

Not anymore. I have thought about what may happen after each scenario and played it in my head multiple times. With the help of meditation, I am at that stage where I don't care much about either scenario.

I am already at peace. :lol: 8-) :-D

'' Furiously doing deep breathing. "
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10021 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ranarohitsinghdeo wrote:
Narenn wrote:

Not anymore. I have thought about what may happen after each scenario and played it in my head multiple times. With the help of meditation, I am at that stage where I don't care much about either scenario.

I am already at peace. :lol: 8-) :-D

'' Furiously doing deep breathing. "

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Attachment:
C7Wl0jTX4AAbimY.jpg
C7Wl0jTX4AAbimY.jpg [ 33.16 KiB | Viewed 5485 times ]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.04
Send PM
Hi,

Round 2 decisions are released on Wednesday 3/22 as we know. I was wondering if anyone knows what time the decisions typically come in? Early? Late? 5PM central?

Thanks.
Stratus Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Expert Reply
carleethian wrote:
Hi,

Round 2 decisions are released on Wednesday 3/22 as we know. I was wondering if anyone knows what time the decisions typically come in? Early? Late? 5PM central? I imagine they will come before the end of day Central time- likely to hit around noon- give or take a few hours and how smoothly things are going from the inside. I would check the chat rooms to see when people start posting news and you will know when things are starting to release. Best wishes to you!

Thanks.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
carleethian wrote:
Hi,

Round 2 decisions are released on Wednesday 3/22 as we know. I was wondering if anyone knows what time the decisions typically come in? Early? Late? 5PM central?

Thanks.

Confirming what Donna said. I've found noon in the relevant time zone has been the case 90% of the time for US schools.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1AIroyiLEM
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  27   28   29   30   31   32   33   34   35   36   37   38   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts