Last visit was: 05 Jun 2024, 20:34 It is currently 05 Jun 2024, 20:34
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10  ...  21   
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [14]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.74
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.19
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Stern '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.01
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020 [#permalink]
42Danis wrote:
Dinged for ED, 750 GMAT, 3.19 undergrad gpa at top 20, run my own business with ~25 employees. Good luck to everyone else!

Posted from my mobile device

Sorry to hear this. Good luck with your other applications. Your profile sounds strong. Do you mind sharing your application timeline?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia (CBS) MBA Applicants: (2018 Intake) Class of 2020 [#permalink]
Kudos
Thanks! It's looking grim for the schools I applied to, Unfortunately. Rejected by Booth and Columbia with no interview, Sloan is looking unlikely as well.

I applied 10/3, received my rejection today 10/30 at 2:34pm EDT.

I was hopeful a non-traditional path would pay off, and explaining the risks I took, as well as the problems I faced building my business up would provide a compelling story. Buuut apparently not compelling enough haha. Can't really do much but move on and see if I can't glean any information as to why I got dinged

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Sorry to hear this. This is really shocking. Would you mind sharing additional detail about your profile? Such as number of years experience, post MBA career chosen, age and location? I'm sorry to hear about this ding, but if it makes you feel better, a good friend of mine was dinged from Columbia last year but made it into Stanford in the same application cycle. Sometimes it is unpredictable.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Kudos
42Danis wrote:
Thanks! It's looking grim for the schools I applied to, Unfortunately. Rejected by Booth and Columbia with no interview, Sloan is looking unlikely as well.

I applied 10/3, received my rejection today 10/30 at 2:34pm EDT.

I was hopeful a non-traditional path would pay off, and explaining the risks I took, as well as the problems I faced building my business up would provide a compelling story. Buuut apparently not compelling enough haha. Can't really do much but move on and see if I can't glean any information as to why I got dinged

Sorry to hear about this. Good luck with the rest of your apps, your profile sounds excellent. Did you find out the update via email or did you check your portal?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
getitdoneright wrote:
Sorry to hear this. This is really shocking. Would you mind sharing additional detail about your profile? Such as number of years experience, post MBA career chosen, age and location? I'm sorry to hear about this ding, but if it makes you feel better, a good friend of mine was dinged from Columbia last year but made it into Stanford in the same application cycle. Sometimes it is unpredictable.

Thanks for the kind thoughts! It's a learning experience, and we've all faced setbacks. My main concern is that I've gotten my application about as solid as can be (given aspects I can control), so it doesn't bode well for other applications haha. Either way, the data:

74 months of work experience upon entering Sep 2018. Post MBA Career was in Media/Tech - I've worked in physical and digital media all my post undergraduate life. My start up is the second largest website dedicated solely to soccer in Latin America, generating between 25-30 million visits a month. We cumulatively reach over 1 billion people a month on Facebook. Age is 27, location NJ

Better format:
STATUS: Applied ED 10/3, Rejected via email at 2:34pm EDT 10/30
GPA: 3.19 (international economics)
GMAT: 750
EXP: 74months
POST MBA: Media/Tech

Again, good luck to everyone else, I hope you all do great!

Originally posted by 42Danis on 30 Oct 2017, 14:21.
Last edited by 42Danis on 30 Oct 2017, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
42Danis wrote:
getitdoneright wrote:

Thanks for the kind thoughts! It's a learning experience, and we've all faced setbacks. My main concern is that I've gotten my application about as solid as can be (given aspects I can control), so it doesn't bode well for other applications haha. Either way, the data:

74 months of work experience upon entering Sep 2018. Post MBA Career was in Media/Tech - I've worked in physical and digital media all my post undergraduate life. My start up is the second largest website dedicated solely to soccer in Latin America, generating between 25-30 million visits a month. We cumulatively reach over 1 billion people a year on Facebook. Age is 27, location NJ

Better format:

Thanks so much for sharing. If you don't get into the schools you applied to in R1, do you plan to apply to some in R2?
Out of curiosity, did you work on your website full-time after you graduated from college, and have you been working on it full-time since? Is there a reason you didn't plan to work full-time on your website after the MBA? I wonder if the AdCom was looking for an explanation for how the MBA would help you take your website to the next level in terms of monetary value, or why moving on from your website after the MBA is the best move for you. You sound like a great leader, so i'm really surprised you are getting dings. I get the feeling AdCom just didn't connect with the Why MBA part of your application. I'm no admissions expert, just my gut feeling.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
Edited

Originally posted by patrickbateman2k15 on 30 Oct 2017, 15:43.
Last edited by patrickbateman2k15 on 08 Dec 2017, 04:19, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q44 V47
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
patrickbateman2k15 wrote:
Rejected in ED
GMAT: 770
GPA: 7.1/10
EXP: 72 months (Investment Banking)
POST MBA: Investment Banking
TIMELINE: Applied ED 9/19, interview invite 10/6, skype interview 10/24, feedback submitted 10/24, rejection email 10/30

Out of curiosity, why apply to business school if you want to stay in the same field? How'd you explain this in your application?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Snipped

Originally posted by patrickbateman2k15 on 30 Oct 2017, 18:02.
Last edited by patrickbateman2k15 on 08 Dec 2017, 04:19, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
getitdoneright wrote:
42Danis wrote:
getitdoneright wrote:

74 months of work experience upon entering Sep 2018. Post MBA Career was in Media/Tech - I've worked in physical and digital media all my post undergraduate life. My start up is the second largest website dedicated solely to soccer in Latin America, generating between 25-30 million visits a month. We cumulatively reach over 1 billion people a year on Facebook. Age is 27, location NJ

Better format:

Thanks so much for sharing. If you don't get into the schools you applied to in R1, do you plan to apply to some in R2?
Out of curiosity, did you work on your website full-time after you graduated from college, and have you been working on it full-time since? Is there a reason you didn't plan to work full-time on your website after the MBA? I wonder if the AdCom was looking for an explanation for how the MBA would help you take your website to the next level in terms of monetary value, or why moving on from your website after the MBA is the best move for you. You sound like a great leader, so i'm really surprised you are getting dings. I get the feeling AdCom just didn't connect with the Why MBA part of your application. I'm no admissions expert, just my gut feeling.

I'm honestly not sure at this point - I have applied to 5 schools, and 1 more planned R2 (2 being hard reaches in Stanford and Harvard, the rest being Booth, Sloan, Stern, and Columbia). I was pretty dead set on any of these schools. So far, I got rejected by Columbia and Booth, with Sloan not looking rosy as the last week approaches haha.

In regards to the website - I have been working on it full time from a year out of college; I started working with my family's business but I wanted to do something of my own. I still advise at times on their business (specifically with digital based dealings). However, with the website, we've entered talks for acquisition and I would like to pursue an MBA and get corporate experience which I severely lack. After 4 years of being a manager and director of my company, I will say my hard skills have also been under utilized and an MBA would help get my hard skills back in shape. Plus it provides a stable pedigree to launch a corporate position off of, with a nice bankroll from selling the website. I think I'm in a good position regarding needing an MBA and how it would help me, as well as a rationale for "leaving" my position to get one. But here we are ;)

Originally posted by 42Danis on 30 Oct 2017, 18:12.
Last edited by 42Danis on 30 Oct 2017, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I'll be right here rooting for you man. I hope you get into atleast one of your R1 schools. if you do not, I really hope you consider working with an admissions consultant in R2, if you didn't already. If applying next year is an option you are comfortable with and you eventually choose to go that route, I hope you consider using a reputable admissions consultant. My personal opinion is that with the extra help, you could get into any of the schools you listed. You profile is very strong, in my humble opinion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
getitdoneright wrote:
I'll be right here rooting for you man. I hope you get into atleast one of your R1 schools. if you do not, I really hope you consider working with an admissions consultant in R2, if you didn't already. If applying next year is an option you are comfortable with and you eventually choose to go that route, I hope you consider using a reputable admissions consultant. My personal opinion is that with the extra help, you could get into any of the schools you listed. You profile is very strong, in my humble opinion.

Thank you for that! I actually used an Admissions Consultant for Columbia, hence why I'm bummed about the rejection :? . She had the same feeling - that I had a really good chance at Columbia ED and a better than average shot at Booth/Sloan and a shoe-in for NYU. Hopefully I get better news from Stanford/Harvard but that's unlikely haha. We shall see! I just don't want to waste time if I do sell my business, as an MBA fits my "plan" perfectly.

I wish you the best of luck as well if you're currently applying, it is helpful to chat about these things!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
patrickbateman2k15 wrote:
Rejected in ED
GMAT: 770
GPA: 7.1/10
EXP: 72 months (Investment Banking)
POST MBA: Investment Banking
TIMELINE: Applied ED 9/19, interview invite 10/6, skype interview 10/24, feedback submitted 10/24, rejection email 10/30

Do you have any reflections of what you could have done differently?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Anyone know when regular decisions interview invitations will be sent out?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Confused

Originally posted by patrickbateman2k15 on 01 Nov 2017, 11:40.
Last edited by patrickbateman2k15 on 08 Dec 2017, 04:18, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
dre1091 wrote:

Not until after they're done reviewing ED, which they estimated would be middle to end of November.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
donnamoss wrote:
dre1091 wrote:

Not until after they're done reviewing ED, which they estimated would be middle to end of November.

So we might not get invites till dec?!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
GPA: 3.23
Send PM
dre1091 wrote:
donnamoss wrote:
dre1091 wrote:

So we might not get invites till dec?!

When did you apply? They review regular decision applications in order that they received them as well. So, the earlier you applied the earlier they'll review your application in the regular decision batch!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10  ...  21   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6957 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts