Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Sciencex   Short Passagex                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
ESMT Berlin School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [0]
Given Kudos: 104
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Re: Most attempts by physicists to send particles faster than the speed of [#permalink]
Can someone explain how to discard Option-E?:

Q542. RC00301-02. The passage implies that if tunneling time reached no maximum in increasing with barrier thickness, then
    (A) Tunneling speed would increase with barrier thickness
    (B) Tunneling speed would decline with barrier thickness
    (C) Tunneling speed would vary with barrier thickness
    (D) Tunneling speed would not be expected to increase without limit
    (E) Successful tunneling would occur even less frequently than it does

My reasoning for E:
    Excerpt from the passage:
      Quantum theory says that there is a distinct, albeit small, probability that such a particle will tunnel its way through a barrier; the probability declines exponentially as the thickness of the barrier increases.
The gist of the above line: the probability that a particle will tunnel declines exponentially as we increase the thickness of the barrier.

I understood how Option-D is the correct answer. However, I was unable to reject Option-E.
Any insights is welcomed to reject Option-E on solid grounds!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: Most attempts by physicists to send particles faster than the speed of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Regarding answer Choice B:

The passage states that tunneling time increases with barrier thickness up to a limit. As the thickness goes up, tunneling speed should increase at the time limit. Doesn't this imply that if there is no time limit, then the speed can decline or stay the same infinitely?[/quote]

Let me try to explain. Let's look back at the passage:

"their grounds were calculations that suggested that the time it takes a particle to tunnel through a barrier increases with the thickness of the barrier until tunneling time reaches a maximum; beyond that maximum, tunneling time stays the same regardless of barrier thickness. This would imply that once maximum tunneling time is reached, tunneling speed will increase without limit as barrier thickness
increases."

to sum it up:

Until reaching maximum time: the time increases if the thickness increases; the important part is, there's no speed mentioned
After reaching maximum time: Time remains constant and speed increases if the thickness increases - both without any limit

So clearly, we can infer D from that. B would take another step to infer, namely that the speed decreases while time and thickness increase. However, the passage itself does not support that. Yes, we all know that this would be the case, but we can only assume what is supported by the passage. Thus, from the the statement "once maximum tunneling time is reached, tunneling speed will increase without limit as barrier thickness increases." we can simply add a no and have our answer D, whereas what happens with the speed before reaching maximum time is never really mentioned.

I must admit, I also chose B, tho :-D :cry:
Quote:
Most attempts by physicists to send particles faster than the speed of light involve a remarkable phenomenon called quantum tunneling, in which particles travel through solid barriers that appear to be impenetrable. If you throw a ball at a wall, you expect it to bounce back, not to pass straight through it. Yet subatomic particles perform the equivalent feat. Quantum theory says that there is a distinct, albeit small, probability that such a particle will tunnel its way through a barrier; the probability declines exponentially as the thickness of the barrier increases. Though the extreme rapidity of quantum tunneling was noted as early as 1932, not until 1955 was it hypothesized—by Wigner and Eisenbud—that tunneling particles sometimes travel faster than light. Their grounds were calculations that suggested that the time it takes a particle to tunnel through a barrier increases with the thickness of the barrier until tunneling time reaches a maximum; beyond that maximum, tunneling time stays the same regardless of barrier thickness. This would imply that once maximum tunneling time is reached, tunneling speed will increase without limit as barrier thickness increases. Several recent experiments have supported this hypothesis that tunneling particles sometimes reach superluminal speed. According to measurements performed by Raymond Chiao and colleagues, for example, photons can pass through an optical filter at 1.7 times the speed of light.

Q542. RC00301-02. The passage implies that if tunneling time reached no maximum in increasing with barrier thickness, then

(A) Tunneling speed would increase with barrier thickness
(B) Tunneling speed would decline with barrier thickness
(C) Tunneling speed would vary with barrer thickness
(D) Tunneling speed would not be expected to increase without limit
(E) Successful tunneling would occur even less frequently than it does

Hi GMATNinja MartyTargetTestPrep jennpt
I am confused in choosing the best/exact word in answer choice. Could you share insights, please?
In correct choice D, the hypothetical word (would) has been used to legit the choice D. The passage says: once maximum tunneling time is reached, tunneling speed will increase without limit as barrier thickness increases.
We can infer/imply that once maximum tunneling time is NOT reached, tunneling speed will NOT increase without limit as barrier thickness increases.
My Question: WHY do we use "hypothetical would" where we get will NOT?
GMATNinja wrote:
kunal1608 wrote:
Could experts please elaborate on the 3rd question explaining why exactly is option D incorrect .

The official explanation says "The passage indicates that by 1932, investigators had noted the rapidity of quantum tunneling; although this does not entail that they observed the phenomenon, it is consistent with their having been able to do so."

Quote:
Which of the following statements about the earliest scientific investigators of quantum tunneling can be inferred from the passage?
A) They found it difficult to increase barrier thickness continually.
B) They anticipated the later results of Chiao and his colleagues.
C) They did not suppose that tunneling particles could travel faster than light.
D) They were unable to observe instances of successful tunneling.
E) They made use of photons to study the phenomenon of tunneling.

Refer to the following lines:
Quote:
Though the extreme rapidity of quantum tunneling was noted as early as 1932, not until 1955 was it hypothesized—by Wigner and Eisenbud—that tunneling particles sometimes travel faster than light.

What do we know about the earliest scientific investigators of quantum tunneling? We know that they noted the extreme rapidity of quantum tunneling. We also know that they did NOT hypothesize that tunneling particles sometimes travel faster than light.

GMATNinja
Sir, could you explain the significance of the word could in choice C?
Thanks__
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
GMATNinja

Thanks for the above clarifications !! I got the question 1 incorrect & eventually figured out what you explained so well.

I'm really interested to know how your mind map/Notes would look like for this one ! I'm practicing reading the passage (with notes) within 3min, but I am not able to. Even though I am able to make up for it by answering the question quickly, I don't think this approach will help me during the test itself.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pjkdas wrote:
GMATNinja

Thanks for the above clarifications !! I got the question 1 incorrect & eventually figured out what you explained so well.

I'm really interested to know how your mind map/Notes would look like for this one ! I'm practicing reading the passage (with notes) within 3min, but I am not able to. Even though I am able to make up for it by answering the question quickly, I don't think this approach will help me during the test itself.

Glad to hear that the explanation helped!

Unfortunately, there's no tactic that you can use to read faster and answer questions faster, without taking the risk of misunderstanding the passage or making a careless mistake on the question. Reading skills and reading pace can literally take years to improve, and no test prep trick will change that. And when it comes to tactics to help keep track of what a passage is saying (like note-taking), the solution really varies from person to person. (Much more on that in this long-winded beginner's guide to RC.)

All that said, remember that your goal is to understand the purpose of the passage. The more effectively you can comprehend WHY the author is writing the passage -- and how the author structures the passage to fulfill that purpose -- the less time you'll spend backtracking, re-reading, and second-guessing what was written. Shortcutting the reading process can actually make you slower, because you might end up spending tons of time going back and forth between the passage and the answer choices.

While this particular passage seems like a single paragraph without explicit structure, there is a structural break halfway through:

Quote:
Though the extreme rapidity of quantum tunneling was noted as early as 1932, not until 1955 was it hypothesized—by Wigner and Eisenbud—that tunneling particles sometimes travel faster than light. There grounds were calculations ...

Everything from here through the end of the passage serves the purpose of explaining how physicists have confirmed that tunneling particles sometimes travel faster than light. And everything before this point serves the purpose of defining what quantum tunneling is. So in a way, there are two paragraphs, with two distinct purposes, masquerading as one wall of text here.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
Asad wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
kunal1608 wrote:
Could experts please elaborate on the 3rd question explaining why exactly is option D incorrect .

The official explanation says "The passage indicates that by 1932, investigators had noted the rapidity of quantum tunneling; although this does not entail that they observed the phenomenon, it is consistent with their having been able to do so."

Quote:
Which of the following statements about the earliest scientific investigators of quantum tunneling can be inferred from the passage?
C) They did not suppose that tunneling particles could travel faster than light.

Quote:
Though the extreme rapidity of quantum tunneling was noted as early as 1932, not until 1955 was it hypothesized—by Wigner and Eisenbud—that tunneling particles sometimes travel faster than light.

What do we know about the earliest scientific investigators of quantum tunneling? We know that they noted the extreme rapidity of quantum tunneling. We also know that they did NOT hypothesize that tunneling particles sometimes travel faster than light.

GMATNinja
Sir, could you explain the significance of the word could in choice C?
Thanks__

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "significance." Are you just looking for the meaning?

We can take the word at face value, so "they didn't suppose that tunneling particles could travel faster than light" means they (the earliest scientific investigators of quantum tunneling) did not suppose that it was possible for tunneling particles to travel faster than light.

I'm not sure if I answered your question, but I hope this helps a bit!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
VeritasKarishma

please explain qustion 3

option c & D
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64926 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
saby1410 wrote:
VeritasKarishma

please explain qustion 3

option c & D

Q543. RC00301-04. Which of the following statements about the earliest scientific investigators of quantum tunneling can be inferred from the passage?

(A) They found it difficult to increase barrier thickness continually.
(B) They anticipated the later results of Chiao and his colleagues.
(C) They did not suppose that tunneling particles could travel faster than light.
(D) They were unable to observe instances of successful tunneling.
(E) They made use of photons to study the phenomenon of tunneling.

Note this:
... Though the extreme rapidity of quantum tunneling was noted as early as 1932, not until 1955 was it hypothesized—by Wigner and Eisenbud—that tunneling particles sometimes travel faster than light.

Though quantum tunnelling was noted in 1932, it was much later than faster than light travel concept was proposed.
So option (C) is correct.

Nowhere in the passage does it say that they were not able to observe instances initially.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
oryahalom wrote:
Could expert please help with the 2nd question? I went over the passage and the official answer several times but didn't figure it out.

Upon to my understanding - the tunneling time grows as the thickness of the barriers grow, until the tunneling time reaches his maximum ("the time it takes a particle to tunnel through barrier increases with the thickness of the barrier until tunneling time reaches a maximum"). Than the tunneling time doesn't affected by the thickness of the barrier ("beyond that maximum, tunneling time stays the same regardless of barrier thickness"). The passage added and state that the last fact "'imply that once maximum tunneling time is reached, tunneling speed will increase without limit as barrier thickness increases". Here i got lost. I don't understand the implication as well as the final answer to the question.

Quote:
The passage implies that if tunneling time reached no maximum in increasing with barrier thickness, then
A) Tunneling speed would increase with barrier thickness
B) Tunneling speed would decline with barrier thickness
C) Tunneling speed would vary with barrer thickness
D) Tunneling speed would not be expected to increase without limit
E) Successful tunneling would occur even less frequently than it does

According to the passage, the time it takes for the particle to tunnel will increase until the tunneling time reaches a certain maximum. As the barrier thickness (the distance traveled by the particle) is increased, the time it takes the particle to cross the barrier also increases, but only up to a certain point. After that maximum tunneling time has been reached, we could theoretically double the thickness of the barrier and, since the tunneling time cannot increase any further, the speed of the particle must be doubled.

In other words, if the tunneling time has a maximum, the speed of the particle must increase without limit as the barrier thickness is increased.

But the question asks, "What if there was no maximum tunneling time?" In that case, the tunneling time CAN increase indefinitely as barrier thickness is increased. Thus, we would NOT expect the speed to increase without limit as barrier thickness is increased. Instead, as the thickness is increased, the tunneling time would increase and the speed could remain relatively constant.

I hope that helps!

Hello GmatNinja

Could you please explain in RC00301-02, why is the answer C, whereas the first line of the passage states that physicists attempted to send particles faster than speed of light. Why is D not the answer which is actually what happened.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
Abi1995 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
oryahalom wrote:
Could expert please help with the 2nd question? I went over the passage and the official answer several times but didn't figure it out.

Upon to my understanding - the tunneling time grows as the thickness of the barriers grow, until the tunneling time reaches his maximum ("the time it takes a particle to tunnel through barrier increases with the thickness of the barrier until tunneling time reaches a maximum"). Than the tunneling time doesn't affected by the thickness of the barrier ("beyond that maximum, tunneling time stays the same regardless of barrier thickness"). The passage added and state that the last fact "'imply that once maximum tunneling time is reached, tunneling speed will increase without limit as barrier thickness increases". Here i got lost. I don't understand the implication as well as the final answer to the question.

Quote:
The passage implies that if tunneling time reached no maximum in increasing with barrier thickness, then
A) Tunneling speed would increase with barrier thickness
B) Tunneling speed would decline with barrier thickness
C) Tunneling speed would vary with barrer thickness
D) Tunneling speed would not be expected to increase without limit
E) Successful tunneling would occur even less frequently than it does

According to the passage, the time it takes for the particle to tunnel will increase until the tunneling time reaches a certain maximum. As the barrier thickness (the distance traveled by the particle) is increased, the time it takes the particle to cross the barrier also increases, but only up to a certain point. After that maximum tunneling time has been reached, we could theoretically double the thickness of the barrier and, since the tunneling time cannot increase any further, the speed of the particle must be doubled.

In other words, if the tunneling time has a maximum, the speed of the particle must increase without limit as the barrier thickness is increased.

But the question asks, "What if there was no maximum tunneling time?" In that case, the tunneling time CAN increase indefinitely as barrier thickness is increased. Thus, we would NOT expect the speed to increase without limit as barrier thickness is increased. Instead, as the thickness is increased, the tunneling time would increase and the speed could remain relatively constant.

I hope that helps!

Hello GmatNinja

Could you please explain in RC00301-02, why is the answer C, whereas the first line of the passage states that physicists attempted to send particles faster than speed of light. Why is D not the answer which is actually what happened.

Posted from my mobile device

The OA for question RC00301-02 (also listed as Question 2 and Q542) is (D), not (C).

I hope that clears it up!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.15
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
OE
Q1. The author of the passage mentions calculations about tunneling time and barrier thickness in order to
A. suggest that tunneling time is unrelated to barrier thickness
B. explain the evidence by which Wigner and Eisenbud discovered the phenomenon of tunneling
C. describe data recently challenged by Raymond Chiao and colleagues
D. question why particles engaged in quantum tunneling rarely achieve extremely high speeds
E. explain the basis for Wigner and Eisenbud’s hypothesis
Evaluation
This question asks why the author discusses calculations about tunneling time and barrier thickness. According to the passage, these calculations provided the grounds for Wigner and Eisenbud’s hypothesis that tunneling particles may travel faster than light.
A. The passage states that tunneling time is related to barrier thickness, up to the point at which tunneling time reaches a maximum.
B. The passage indicates that the phenomenon of tunneling was noted at least as early as 1932. It provides no evidence that Wigner and Eisenbud discovered it.
C. The passage uses Chiao’s work to support the idea that tunneling particles may move faster than light, not challenge it.
D. The author describes calculations about tunneling time and barrier thickness in order to explain that particles engaged in quantum tunneling may in fact achieve extremely high speeds, not to explain the rarity of the phenomenon.
E. Correct. The calculations about tunneling time and barrier thickness supported Wigner and Eisenbud’s hypothesis that quantum tunneling could occur at speeds faster than that of light.
The correct answer is E.

Q2. The passage implies that if tunneling time reached no maximum in increasing with barrier thickness, then
A. tunneling speed would increase with barrier thickness
B. tunneling speed would decline with barrier thickness
C. tunneling speed would vary with barrier thickness
D. tunneling speed would not be expected to increase without limit
E. successful tunneling would occur even less frequently than it does
Inference
The passage states that because tunneling time reaches a maximum, then tunneling speed must increase as barrier thickness increases. But if tunneling time did not reach such a maximum, then speed need not increase without limit; the particle could have as low a speed in thicker barriers as in thinner ones and take longer to tunnel through a barrier.
A. If tunneling time could not reach a maximum, then speed might increase, decrease, or remain the same as barrier thickness increases.
B. If tunneling time could not reach a maximum, then speed might increase, decrease, or remain the same as barrier thickness increases.
C. Tunneling speed could vary with barrier thickness if tunneling time could not reach a maximum, but there is no basis in the passage on which to conclude that this is definitely so.
D. Correct. The tunneling particle could have as low a speed in thicker barriers as in thinner ones and simply take longer to make its way through a thicker barrier.
E. The passage states that the probability of successful tunneling declines as the thickness of the barrier increases. However, it does not address the issue of whether the differences in probability of successful tunneling are due to the greater time required to go through thicker barriers.
The correct answer is D.

Q3. Which of the following statements about the earliest scientific investigators of quantum tunneling can be inferred from the passage?
A. They found it difficult to increase barrier thickness continually.
B. They anticipated the later results of Chiao and his colleagues.
C. They did not suppose that tunneling particles could travel faster than light.
D. They were unable to observe instances of successful tunneling.
E. They made use of photons to study the phenomenon of tunneling.
Inference
This question asks about the earliest investigators of quantum tunneling. The passage notes that quantum tunneling’s extreme rapidity was observed in 1932; thus, the earliest investigators of this phenomenon knew of its existence at that time. Not until 1955 did Wigner and Eisenbud hypothesize that the particles traveled faster than light. Thus, it is logical to infer that the earliest investigators did not imagine such a speed.
A. There is nothing in the passage to suggest that the earliest investigators of quantum tunneling had difficulty manipulating barrier thickness.
B. The passage states that Chiao and his colleagues measured photons moving at 1.7 times the speed of light—but the passage does not provide evidence that the earliest investigators anticipated such speeds.
C. Correct. The passage suggests that prior to 1955, investigators of quantum tunneling had not hypothesized that the particles could travel faster than the speed of light.
D. The passage indicates that by 1932, investigators had noted the rapidity of quantum tunneling;
although this does not entail that they observed the phenomenon, it is consistent with their having been able to do so.
E. The passage indicates that Chiao’s work involves photons, but it does not indicate the type of particles used or observed by the earliest investigators of the phenomenon.
The correct answer is C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Here's my breakdown of the passage -

Aim - send particle faster that Speedlight
How - QT
What is it - particles through soid barrier
Expectation - bounce back like ball
Reality - subatomic particles are achievers. theyre not balls!

QT definition and understandings
- distinct, very small P(can tunnel through)
- P(tunnelling) declines exponentially with thickness.

QT fame / rapidity / trend - 1932
QT hypothesis for experimentations- 1955

Let's discuss the experiment then -
- basis of calculations - time increases with thickness (obv, if the barrier keeps getting thicker, time to go through will keep increasing)

- Thickness inc = time inc.

BUT
at Timemax = it cant change any further = its reach its all time high = its constant now.
- so Barrier keeps increasing.
- Timemax constant.

What does that mean -
Speed x timemax = distance (thickness).
Speed x constant = distance
speed is directly proportional to distance (aka thickness)

(note if time is NOT max, then it is not constant, then it is going to change, so its a variable. which means speed will not increase with thickness - hint with Q2)

thickness keeps increasing, speed keeps increasing.

Final few sentences:
QT is spported - RC and photon study results.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
Most attempts by physicists to send particles faster than the speed of [#permalink]
I am so appreciative for the thorough discussion of this passage, but I still have a few lingering questions:
1. Is there a difference between "quantum tunneling" and "quantum theory" mentioned in the passage?
2. I do not understand this part of the passage: "If you throw a ball at a wall, you expect it to bounce back, not to pass straight through it. Yet subatomic particles perform the equivalent feat." What makes the feat "equivalent"? Subatomic particles are also not able to pass through it and bounce back? I am assuming that the author means subatomic particles can pass through the wall (based on "yet" and everything else mentioned in the passage).
3. For question 609 (which of the following statements about the earliest scientific....), I am caught up in Choice D. I chose D because of the first sentence in the passage "most attempts"--> this seems to simply that most physicists were unsuccessful. This question was very confusing to me because what does GMAC mean by "earliest"? There are the scientists that noted this as early as 1932.... then there are scientists in 1955 (Wigner and Eisenbud), and then later scientists (Raymond Chiao). Early relative to Wigner and Eisenbud or early relative to Chiao? Please note that I realize GMATNinja discussed why D is incorrect, but I am still lost based on my reasoning above.

Thank you for all of your time and help!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
I am so appreciative for the thorough discussion of this passage, but I still have a few lingering questions:
1. Is there a difference between "quantum tunneling" and "quantum theory" mentioned in the passage?
2. I do not understand this part of the passage: "If you throw a ball at a wall, you expect it to bounce back, not to pass straight through it. Yet subatomic particles perform the equivalent feat." What makes the feat "equivalent"? Subatomic particles are also not able to pass through it and bounce back? I am assuming that the author means subatomic particles can pass through the wall (based on "yet" and everything else mentioned in the passage).
3. For question 609 (which of the following statements about the earliest scientific....), I am caught up in Choice D. I chose D because of the first sentence in the passage "most attempts"--> this seems to simply that most physicists were unsuccessful. This question was very confusing to me because what does GMAC mean by "earliest"? There are the scientists that noted this as early as 1932.... then there are scientists in 1955 (Wigner and Eisenbud), and then later scientists (Raymond Chiao). Early relative to Wigner and Eisenbud or early relative to Chiao? Please note that I realize GMATNinja discussed why D is incorrect, but I am still lost based on my reasoning above.

Thank you for all of your time and help!

1. The passage defines quantum tunneling as "a remarkable phenomenon[...] in which particles travel through solid barriers that appear to be impenetrable." Quantum theory, on the other hand, seems to be the name for a broader framework that explains the probability of quantum tunneling.

The passage is primarily concerned with aspects of quantum tunneling, and doesn't really give us much separate info about quantum theory. When you're reading a passage, keep in mind the bigger picture of why the author is including the details -- if he/she is just mentioning quantum theory to better explain quantum tunneling, then you can focus on quantum tunneling as the more important element of the passage.

2. Yup, particles can tunnel through barriers. The author gives us the analogy of a ball bouncing off a wall to show how weird and surprising it is that particles can tunnel through something that seems impenetrable.

3. "Earliest" is different than "earlier" -- by saying "earliest," we know that question 3 is talking about the very first investigators of quantum tunneling. The earliest investigators mentioned in the passage are the ones working as early as 1932. So, we know without a doubt that the author is NOT talking about Wigner and Eisenbud, but about the scientists who came BEFORE Wigner and Eisenbud.

What do we know about these earliest investigators? That they noted the "extreme rapidity of quantum tunneling." If you note an aspect about a thing, then you must have observed that thing. So, we can't that these investigators didn't observe quantum tunneling -- the passage actually heavily implies that they DID observe quantum tunneling.

Nothing in the phrase "most attempts" implies that the attempts were unsuccessful -- I could say that "Most of my attempts to bake involve a lot of cursing." Does that mean I don't succeed in the end? Nope -- it could be that I DO successfully bake delicious goods. :-P

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
kunal1608 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

From that information, can we infer that "they were unable to observe instances of successful tunneling."? Not necessarily. Perhaps they observed instances of successful tunneling and perhaps they did not (as described in the OE, "although this does not entail that they observed the phenomenon, it is consistent with their having been able to do so"). Regardless, we certainly cannot infer that they were UNABLE to observe instances of successful tunneling.

In other words, we know that they might have observed instances of successful tunneling, but we cannot infer that they were unable to do so.

I hope that helps explain why (D) must be eliminated!

GMATNinja

From the starting [first sentence]

Most attempts by physicists to send particles faster than the speed of light involve a remarkable phenomenon called quantum tunneling, in which particles travel through solid barriers that appear to be impenetrable. Though the extreme rapidity of quantum tunneling was noted as early as 1932.

Why did they not suppose that tunneling particles could travel faster than light?

1) send particles faster than the speed of light >> quantum tunneling
2) quantum tunneling was noted as early as 1932
Then, the earliest investigator did suppose that tunneling particles could travel faster than light.

Also, not until 1955 was it hypothesized—by Wigner and Eisenbud + Raymond Chiao and colleagues did prove and got the result supporting the hypothesis of Wignera and Eisenbud. I am not sure whether the earliest investigator were unable to observe instances of successful tunneling or not but we could imply there were no any results until 1955.

Could you help fix what and why I am wrong?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply

Question 3

Tanchat wrote:
GMATNinja

From the starting [first sentence]

Most attempts by physicists to send particles faster than the speed of light involve a remarkable phenomenon called quantum tunneling, in which particles travel through solid barriers that appear to be impenetrable. Though the extreme rapidity of quantum tunneling was noted as early as 1932.

Why did they not suppose that tunneling particles could travel faster than light?

1) send particles faster than the speed of light >> quantum tunneling
2) quantum tunneling was noted as early as 1932
Then, the earliest investigator did suppose that tunneling particles could travel faster than light.

Also, not until 1955 was it hypothesized—by Wigner and Eisenbud + Raymond Chiao and colleagues did prove and got the result supporting the hypothesis of Wignera and Eisenbud. I am not sure whether the earliest investigator were unable to observe instances of successful tunneling or not but we could imply there were no any results until 1955.

Could you help fix what and why I am wrong?

There are two distinct things happening here:

1) Quantum tunneling: very fast movement through a barrier. The rapidity of quantum tunneling "was noted as early as 1932." So, we know that scientists observed quantum tunneling by 1932.

2) Sending particles faster than the speed of light: this is achieved through quantum tunneling, but not every instance of quantum tunneling went faster than the speed of light. This wasn't even hypothesized until 1955.

So, although pre-1955 researchers observed quantum tunneling, they did not hypothesize that particles could go faster than the speed of light.

(D) is out, and (C) is the correct answer to question 3.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts