Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [62]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1239 [5]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [1]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [4]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 3.82
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
Re: Sartre believed each individual is responsible to choose one course of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
generis wrote:

Sartre believed each individual is responsible to choose one course of action over another one, that it is the choice that gives value to the act, and that nothing that is not acted upon has value.

(A) each individual is responsible to choose one course of action over another one

(B) that each individual is responsible for choosing one course of action over another

(C) that each individual is responsible, choosing one course of action over another

(D) that each individual is responsible to choose one course of action over the other

(E) each individual is responsible for choosing one course of action over other ones

"that" is required in (A) and (E). So (A) and (E) Out.

responsible to choose - is awkward and not idiomatic. So (D) out.

is responsible, choosing - is awkward. (C) out.

responsible for - Correct idiom.

IMO - Ans (B)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [4]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Sartre believed each individual is responsible to choose one course of [#permalink]
Kudos
Meaning: Sartre believed that
*each individual is responsible for choosing one course of action over another
*it is the choice that gives value to the act
* nothing that is not acted upon has value.

Thus, to maintain parallelism, that is needed after believed. Therefore, option A and option E can be eliminated.
Option C, incorrectly uses choosing as a modifier. That is not the intended purpose. So, C can be eliminated.
Option D:
one course of action over the other incorrectly implies there are 2 specific actions in which 1 is chosen over the other. But that is not the intended meaning.
Also, An individual is responsible for choosing is the correct construction and is preferred than responsible to choose.
So, option D can be eliminated.

IMO: OPTION B:
*maintains parallelism by using that
*uses correct construction: responsible for choosing
*correctly uses one course of action over another.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [2]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
(A) each individual is responsible to choose one course of action over another one INCORRECT ( responsible for something is correct idiom)

(B) that each individual is responsible for choosing one course of action over another ( CORRECT)

(C) that each individual is responsible, choosing one course of action over another (INCORRECT same issue as in A)

(D) that each individual is responsible to choose one course of action over the other ( INCORRECT same issue as in A, plus incorrect ussage of "other" )

(E) each individual is responsible for choosing one course of action over other ones (INCORRECT of ussage of "other" )

(F) each individual is responsible for choosing ENTER over EXIT (CORRECT) :lol:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [4]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Quote:
Sartre believed each individual is responsible to choose one course of action over another one, that it is the choice that gives value to the act, and that nothing that is not acted upon has value.

Quote:
(A) each individual is responsible to choose one course of action over another one
Another one is incorrect . There are 2 courses of action so we should use the other and not another.

Quote:
(C) that each individual is responsible, choosing one course of action over another
Sentence left incomplete. Responsible for what?? That answer to what is missing

Quote:
(E) each individual is responsible for choosing one course of action over other ones
That should come up after believed. Also other ones is not correct. Over the other is concise and correct in structure.

Quote:
(B) that each individual is responsible for choosing one course of action over another
(D) that each individual is responsible to choose one course of action over the other

In between B and D , I will choose B because:-
1. Responsible for depicts that you are the owner and in this sentence ownership is talked about.
2. It is not mentioned that there are only 2 course of actions. The actions can be many and we have to choose one over another.

IMO B.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35491 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
OFFICIAL ANSWER

NOTE I have changed the format of the OE and added clarifying details. I have not omitted any words from the OE. MY word additions are in black text or [ in square brackets].

• Choice A is faulty because that is needed after believed to make the clause parallel with the two that . . . clauses following it

• Also the idiomatic expression is responsible for choosing rather than responsible to choose
and one is superfluous.

• Choice C distorts the intended meaning because it says, in effect, only
-- that individuals are responsible and that they choose a course of action,
not, [as the sentence should say]
-- that they are responsible for choosing such a course.

• In choice D, responsible to choose is unidiomatic and
the other wrongly suggests
that there is some particular alternative under discussion.

• Choice E lacks the necessary that, and other ones is less precise than another.

There is only way to know that the phrase other ones has a lower degree of precision and that such imprecision matters: compare answer choices.
The missing "that" in this option is fatal.
Save your time for meaning issues in C.

• Choice B is best

ANSWER B

sowmiyav - welcome to GMATClub!

dave13 - :-D
Il n'y a pas d'entrée!

Most of these answers are very good.

Two are excellent because their authors caught issues about meaning
in answers.

On the GMAT, unfamiliar constructions, strange-looking idioms, and
obscure phrases will be present, especially as questions get more difficult.

At those times, the ability to tease out the meaning of the sentence will be invaluable.

Everyone who posted has a good command of the grammar issues in this instance.

A test taker does not need to know that Sartre was among the twentieth century's most famous
philosophers/authors in order to recognize that we are dealing with a point of view
and a very particular point of view at that.

Cue words followed by that clauses with dense and sequential content
-- "Believed that" signals an opinion, an ideological commitment.
-- in the clauses that follow, content both describes the belief and emphasizes the fact that we are dealing with a belief -- a point of view.

This question presents itself as ripe for understanding what Sartre was trying to convey.

Many philosophers and writers stress individual responsibility.
These clauses, however, are not typical:
-- it is the choice that gives value to the act
-- nothing that is not acted upon has value.

Those claim are radical.
When we encounter questions
• that deal with content-based positions of thinkers, authors, artists, etc.;
• that have answer choices conveying different meanings; or
• that have answer choices whose "grammar rules" don't quite fit ...

... just as is the case in certain CR and RC questions, we are being asked to see the material
from the point of view of the author, that is, to understand the meaning (s)he is trying to convey.

No grammar rule announces that "the other," for example, incorrectly implies that a particular second alternative exists.

The inference must be drawn from the meaning of this sentence in this instance.
That inference depends on this context and cannot be generalized; it cannot be made into a larger guideline.

No grammar rule announces that C distorts meaning.
C's construction is not inherently incorrect. COMMA + ___ing (participial phrase)
can and often does modify the entire previous clause.

I am happy to say that a person who has just begun to study for the GMAT or
who struggles with SC (99% of takers!) could read this thread and be helped.

That collectively created helpfulness has been the case for every question I have posted. :-)

sowmiyav and warrior1991 wrote the best answers to this question.
Kudos!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GPA: 3.64
WE:Management Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
I prefer an infinitive (D) over (B) but have no concrete reason to back my reasoning. What is the subtle difference between
one over another and one over other?[/quote]

choosing one over another means to choose among more than two choices, while choosing one over the other one means choosing between two choices!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20716 [2]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 7: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

TIME Magazine - April 28, 1980 | Vol. 115 No. 17
World: Inadvertent Guru to an Age

Monday, Apr. 28, 1980

Because God does not exist, said Sartre, man defines what he is, his essence, through his own actions. Each individual is responsible for choosing one course of action over another. It is the choice that gives value to the act, and nothing that is not acted upon has value. Lending a moral dimension to an otherwise indifferent universe, Sartre declared that a person cannot define himself by "disappointed dreams, miscarried hopes or vain expectations." Most people seek to evade responsibility by blaming something or somebody else for their fate. Sartre regarded this as "bad faith." It is the real curse of the characters in his most famous play, No Exit (1944), who whine, "Hell is other people."
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
RamSep

A simple rule to help you remember the difference between another and other is:

another + singular noun
other + plural noun
others(a pronoun to replace other + plural noun)

Examples:

I need another cup. (cup is singular so we use another)
I need other cups. (cup is plural so we use other)
I need others. (refers to other cups)

:)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
GPA: 3.64
WE:Management Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
dave13 wrote:
RamSep

another + singular noun
other + plural noun

Examples:

Thanks. That's great...
But let's back to the question; am I wrong in my explanation? in the context of the question, what is the difference between "choose one over another" & "choose one over the other"?
I think the first one ("...over another") means choosing between more than one item, while the latter ("... the other") seems to mean picking one option between the two.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
RamSep wrote:
dave13 wrote:
RamSep

another + singular noun
other + plural noun

Examples:

Thanks. That's great...
But let's back to the question; am I wrong in my explanation? in the context of the question, what is the difference between "choose one over another" & "choose one over the other"?
I think the first one ("...over another") means choosing between more than one item, while the latter ("... the other") seems to mean picking one option between the two.

RamSep welcome :)

you use "THE OTHER" when you refer to something specific

you use "ANOTHER" when you dont refer to something specific

In our case we just talk in general choosing one course over another one. (choosing ANY COURSE, we are not referring to specific one )

Btw "another" is nothing more than AN + OTHER, in other words indefinite article +other

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 933 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM