Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [26]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [16]
Given Kudos: 3682
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: The preeminent astronomer Carl Sagan posited that the expansion of [#permalink]
Imo D

A:wrong usage of word big bag

Only D uses correct word and shows the cause and effect by ing modifier

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Re: The preeminent astronomer Carl Sagan posited that the expansion of [#permalink]
Kudos
Meaning Analysis:

The sentence conveys that one A caused B and the final result is C.

A is Big Bang; B is expansion; C is galaxies rushing outwards

Error Analysis:

A) The preeminent astronomer, Carl Sagan, posited that the expansion of the universe, with galaxies rushing ever outward away from each other, was caused by the Big Bag about 15 billion years ago. (with galaxies rushing outwards seems like it is modifying expansion of the universe. This is not the case. A caused B, resulted in galaxies rushing outwards..)

B) The preeminent astronomer, Carl Sagan, posited that the expansion of the universe, with galaxies rushing ever outward away from each other, is caused by the Big Bag about 15 billion years ago. (Same as A)

C) Carl Sagan, the preeminent astronomer, posited that the expansion of the universe was caused by the Big Bang about 15 billion years ago and the galaxies are rushing ever outward away from each other. (and suggests that expansion was caused by both Big bang and galaxies rushing outwards. This is not correct)

D) The preeminent astronomer, Carl Sagan, posited that the Big Bang caused the expansion of the universe about 15 billion years ago, sending the galaxies rushing eve outward away from each other. (Aha. Correct as described by meaning analysis)

E) The preeminent astronomer, Carl Sagan, posited that the Big Bang, causing the expansion of the universe about 15 billion years ago, sending the galaxies rushing ever outward away from each other. (causing the explosion .... sending the galaxies is not parallel and distorts the intended meaning. Big bang caused the expansion which resulted in galaxies rushing outwards)
Kudos
generis wrote:

The preeminent astronomer, Carl Sagan, posited that the expansion of the universe, with galaxies rushing ever outward away from each other, was caused by the Big Bag about 15 billion years ago.

A) The preeminent astronomer, Carl Sagan, posited that the expansion of the universe, with galaxies rushing ever outward away from each other, was caused by the Big Bag about 15 billion years ago.

B) The preeminent astronomer, Carl Sagan, posited that the expansion of the universe, with galaxies rushing ever outward away from each other, is caused by the Big Bag about 15 billion years ago.

C) Carl Sagan, the preeminent astronomer, posited that the expansion of the universe was caused by the Big Bang about 15 billion years ago and the galaxies are rushing ever outward away from each other.

D) The preeminent astronomer, Carl Sagan, posited that the Big Bang caused the expansion of the universe about 15 billion years ago, sending the galaxies rushing eve outward away from each other.

E) The preeminent astronomer, Carl Sagan, posited that the Big Bang, causing the expansion of the universe about 15 billion years ago, sending the galaxies rushing ever outward away from each other.

The bold part is the direct result of green part in the sense of meaning. So, D should be the correct choice.
Kudos
zubair123 wrote:
E) The preeminent astronomer, Carl Sagan, posited that the Big Bang, causing the expansion of the universe about 15 billion years ago, sending the galaxies rushing ever outward away from each other. (causing the explosion .... sending the galaxies is not parallel and distorts the intended meaning. Big bang caused the expansion which resulted in galaxies rushing outwards)

E is not a sentence at all; it's a sentence fragment!
Kudos
NRJ11090 wrote:
A and D both give a cause and effect relationship.

You make me crazy saying the quote! How A is cause and effect situation?
Thanks__
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [2]
Send PM
The preeminent astronomer Carl Sagan posited that the expansion of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Yash312 wrote:
Imo D

A:wrong usage of word big bag

Only D uses correct word and shows the cause and effect by ing modifier

Posted from my mobile device

Yash312 :lol: :lol:

"Big Bag"? Really? :lol:

Those were typos.

This thread is hilarious.
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [1]
Send PM
The preeminent astronomer Carl Sagan posited that the expansion of [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
AsadAbu wrote:
NRJ11090 wrote:
A and D both give a cause and effect relationship.

You make me crazy saying the quote! How A is cause and effect situation?
Thanks__

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If I had a dollar for every time that I have wanted to write the words in italics. . .)

(If I had a dollar for every time that I have wanted to write those words and refrained from doing so, I would be rich. I have refrained. I am happy to see that someone finally actually wrote what I have only fantasized about writing. Vernacular tidbit of the day.)

This quip is the best serious one-liner of the week.
Don't change a thing.
Kudos
generis wrote:
• The second, was caused, is passive voice. Barring an actual error in the grammar, any instance of the active voice is preferable to a use of the passive voice. [CAREFUL]

Is it really matter in GMAT?

One possible choice: if D is removed from options, is there any chance for choice F to be legitimate choice?
F) The preeminent astronomer, Carl Sagan, posited that the expansion of the universe was caused by the Big Bang about 15 billion years ago, sending the galaxies rushing ever outward away from each other.
This one is also passive voice. will this choice be strong contender for correct choice?
Thank you__
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Why is A wrong? Is it only because of its meaning? It is ok that it is less preferable than D because of passive voice. But why is it grammatically wrong?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.48
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Active voice is preferred in gmat so D is the answer
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4098 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Logical and meaning based question
option D follows the correct pattern of sequence of events
IMO D

generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 72 Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

The preeminent astronomer, Carl Sagan, posited that the expansion of the universe, with galaxies rushing ever outward away from each other, was caused by the Big Bang about 15 billion years ago.

A) The preeminent astronomer, Carl Sagan, posited that the expansion of the universe, with galaxies rushing ever outward away from each other, was caused by the Big Bang about 15 billion years ago.

B) The preeminent astronomer, Carl Sagan, posited that the expansion of the universe, with galaxies rushing ever outward away from each other, is caused by the Big Bang about 15 billion years ago.

C) Carl Sagan, the preeminent astronomer, posited that the expansion of the universe was caused by the Big Bang about 15 billion years ago and the galaxies are rushing ever outward away from each other.

D) The preeminent astronomer, Carl Sagan, posited that the Big Bang caused the expansion of the universe about 15 billion years ago, sending the galaxies rushing ever outward away from each other.

E) The preeminent astronomer, Carl Sagan, posited that the Big Bang, causing the expansion of the universe about 15 billion years ago, sending the galaxies rushing ever outward away from each other.

The best or excellent answers get kudos, which will be awarded after the answer is revealed. There may be no best or excellent answers, or there may be a few.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 530
Send PM
I did got the answer right. But I still have doubt. Like in E, the modifier "causing" still modifies "big bang", but "caused" wins over it. Why so?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts