Last visit was: 17 May 2024, 18:22 It is currently 17 May 2024, 18:22
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Like humans and other warm-blooded animals, researchers [#permalink]
gmatns2018
Did you understand what I mean in my previous comment? Did I say anywhere that "x modifies y" or something like that? Better if you explain what I mean in my previous comment, please!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Send PM
Like humans and other warm-blooded animals, researchers [#permalink]
Kudos
Asad wrote:
gmatns2018
Did you understand what I mean in my previous comment? Did I say anywhere that "x modifies y" or something like that? Better if you explain what I mean in my previous comment, please!

How do "warm-blooded animals" report? "warm-blooded animals" are not human-being. did you notice it?

""warm-blooded animals" are not human-being" -- this statement / hypothesis is INCORRECT -- you explanation is INCORRECT

it does not matter what you mean -- what matters is the way you convey what you mean -- in proper English
gmatns2018
Like Mr. X and Mr. Y, you will write in gmat club forum.
This will write is not only attributed to "you"; it (will write) is also attributed to Mr X. and Mr. Y
So, will write MUST be matched with Mr. X and Mr. Y, otherwise the sentence will be faulty construction.
Quote:
Like humans and other warm-blooded animals, researchers report that.........

The verb report MUST be matched with "humans and other warm-blooded animals". Do, do you think that the verb report goes with "warm-blooded animals"? Is it possible to report by "warm-blooded animals". How "warm-blooded animals" report in real life?

gmatns2018 wrote:
Asad wrote:
Asad wrote:
A. Like humans and other warm-blooded animals, researchers report that lotus has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperatures in a narrow range.

How do "warm-blooded animals" report? "warm-blooded animals" are not human-being. did you notice it?

Could you help me to understand the meaning?
Thanks__

Error in option A is of incorrect modifier and incorrect idiom --researchers need not modify human and animals
(and even if we remove animals ...researchers need not modify humans ..no matter if they have the ability to report)

Intended meaning : researchers report cites a similarity between (ability of human and animals) and (ability of lotus)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Asad wrote:
This will write is not only attributed to "you"; it (will write) is also attributed to Mr X. and Mr. Y
So, will write MUST be matched with Mr. X and Mr. Y, otherwise the sentence will be faulty construction.
The verb report MUST be matched with "humans and other warm-blooded animals". Do, do you think that the verb report goes with "warm-blooded animals"? Is it possible to report by "warm-blooded animals". How "warm-blooded animals" report in real life?

Are you saying sentence is incorrect because Animals do not possess the ability to report ?

As mentioned earlier, you approach to tackle this sentence is incorrect
Yes, Researchers modifying Human and animals is incorrect ...but not for the reason you are assuming
Like X and Y, researchers report that Z has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperatures in a narrow range. -- here also Researchers modifying X n Y is incorrect ...Intent is to compare X and Y to Z not Researchers ...not Reports .... not X's or Y's ability to report

I hope you understand the flaw in the below sentence:
Like Men and Women, researchers report that mice has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperatures in a narrow range.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Asad wrote:
A. Like humans and other warm-blooded animals, researchers report that lotus has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperatures in a narrow range.
--> In this choice, the author mistakenly compare "humans and other warm-blooded animals" with "researchers". So, you can cross it this way.
--> Another way: the word report doesn't go with "warm-blooded animals". So, you can cross it by this way, too.

--> Another way: the word report doesn't go with "warm-blooded animals". So, you can cross it by this way, too. -- This is INCORRECT "way" :) but whatever floats your boat mate
Now it is your turn to prove that how this way is not the correct way!
gmatns2018 wrote:
Asad wrote:
--> In this choice, the author mistakenly compare "humans and other warm-blooded animals" with "researchers". So, you can cross it this way.
--> Another way: the word report doesn't go with "warm-blooded animals". So, you can cross it by this way, too.

--> Another way: the word report doesn't go with "warm-blooded animals". So, you can cross it by this way, too. -- This is INCORRECT "way" :) but whatever floats your boat mate

gmatns2018 wrote:
Asad wrote:

MartyTargetTestPrep
Sir, may I have your opinion here, please?
Thanks__

Originally posted by TheUltimateWinner on 04 Jun 2019, 10:37.
Last edited by TheUltimateWinner on 04 Jun 2019, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
gmatns2018 wrote:
Asad wrote:

Are you saying sentence is incorrect because Animals do not possess the ability to report ?

As mentioned earlier, you approach to tackle this sentence is incorrect
Yes, Researchers modifying Human and animals is incorrect ...but not for the reason you are assuming
Like X and Y, researchers report that Z has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperatures in a narrow range. -- here also Researchers modifying X n Y is incorrect ...Intent is to compare X and Y to Z not Researchers ...not Reports .... not X's or Y's ability to report

Like Men and Women, researchers report that mice has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperatures in a narrow range.

gmatns2018
Do you think that "Men and Women" is compared with "mice"?
Better if you shed more lights on your creative example (the highlighted one).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Asad wrote:

gmatns2018

here Flaw implies Error -- the example sentence is based on the structure of Statement 1

** I am not sure what is happening here but does seem like an ego play from your end ...n I'm ending it here
gmatns2018 wrote:
Asad wrote:

gmatns2018

here Flaw implies Error -- the example sentence is based on the structure of Statement 1

** I am not sure what is happening here but does seem like an ego play from your end ...n I'm ending it here

Quote:
Like Men and Women, researchers report that mice has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperatures in a narrow range

I think, there is NO error/flaw in your creative example, but you said there is a flaw. If you really find any flaw, you should explain because members are noticing here.
According to your previous comment:
If i consider Men as X, Women as Y and mice as Z, the comparison is going be held between "x and y" and "z" (according to your comments). But, my understand says: there is no chance to compare "mice" with "men and women". Correct me please.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5149 [4]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I haven't read all of and am not clear about all the particulars of the foregoing discussion, but in case it will help to clear things up, I can say the following about the below sentence.

The sentence expresses a comparison, and the main implication of the comparison is that researchers are like humans and other warm-blooded animals in that researchers report, implying that the other warm-blooded animals report as well.

So, the sentence conveys a nonsensical meaning, because it implies via the comparison that non-human warm-blooded animals report about lotus. Therefore, choice (A) can be eliminated because the version created via the use of choice (A) conveys via implication the nonsensical meaning that other warm-blooded animals report about lotus.

Originally posted by MartyTargetTestPrep on 04 Jun 2019, 12:09.
Last edited by MartyTargetTestPrep on 04 Jun 2019, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you sir for your feedback. +1 for you sir :)
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
I haven't read all of and am not clear about all the particulars of the foregoing discussion, but in case it will help to clear things up, I can say the following about the below sentence.

The sentence expresses a comparison, and the main implication of the comparison is that researchers are like humans and other warm-blooded animals in that researchers report, implying that the other warm-blooded animals report as well.

So, the sentence conveys a nonsensical meaning, because it implies via the comparison that non-human warm-blooded animals report about lotus. Therefore, choice (A) can be eliminated because the version created via the use of choice (A) conveys via implication the nonsensical meaning that other warm blooded animals report about lotus.

Originally posted by TheUltimateWinner on 04 Jun 2019, 12:19.
Last edited by TheUltimateWinner on 04 Jun 2019, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
Sir,
Is there any error in the following sentence in the comparison part along with green part (apart from strike through part)?

Quote:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 309 [0]
Given Kudos: 117
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
sivasanjeev wrote:
Like humans and other warm-blooded animals, researchers report that lotus has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperatures in a narrow range.

B. Researchers report that within a narrow range, the lotus has the remarkable ability to keep its temperature like humans and other warm-blooded animals do.
C. Researchers report that lotus has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperatures to a narrow range, as humans and other warm-blooded animals can.
D. Researchers report that lotus has the remarkable ability to keep its temperatures to a narrow range, as do humans and other warm-blooded animals.
E. As humans and other warm-blooded animals can, researchers report that the lotus has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperature in a narrow range.

A and E are incorrect as it compares the capability of humans and animals to researchers.

B is incorrect as like is not to be followed by a verb.

C is incorrect for idiom use of ability of

Hence correct answer choice is D.

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5149 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Asad wrote:
Sir,
Is there any error in the following sentence in the comparison part along with green part (apart from strike through part)?

Quote:

The green part is, of course, blatantly incorrect because the plural subject of the relative clause "mice" does not work with the singular verb of the relative clause "has."

The pink part, on the other hand, is not as blatantly incorrect. However, the meaning conveyed by the pink part doesn't really make sense, since the pink part implies that men and women are like researchers in that men and women report about mice. While that scenario is not entirely impossible, it certainly doesn't match reality.

What would make sense is that researchers report that there is some similarity between men and women and mice, yet the above sentence does not convey that meaning.