It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 16:45

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Like humans and other warm-blooded animals, researchers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 436 [2], given: 56

Like humans and other warm-blooded animals, researchers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2013, 20:41
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (00:43) correct 26% (00:37) wrong based on 264 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Like humans and other warm-blooded animals, researchers report that lotus has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperatures in a narrow range.

A. Like humans and other warm-blooded animals, researchers report that lotus has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperatures in a narrow range.
B. Researchers report that within a narrow range, the lotus has the remarkable ability to keep its temperature like humans and other warm-blooded animals do.
C. Researchers report that lotus has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperatures to a narrow range, as humans and other warm-blooded animals can.
D. Researchers report that lotus has the remarkable ability to keep its temperatures to a narrow range, as do humans and other warm-blooded animals.
E. As humans and other warm-blooded animals can, researchers report that the lotus has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperature in a narrow range.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Kudos [?]: 436 [2], given: 56

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 16

Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IE Jan"17
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V43
GPA: 3.44
WE: Research (Computer Software)
Re: Like humans and other warm-blooded animals, researchers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2013, 23:59
This post received
KUDOS
Like humans and other warm-blooded animals, researchers report that lotus has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperatures in a narrow range.

A. Like humans and other warm-blooded animals, researchers report that lotus has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperatures in a narrow range.
[ incorrect use of like ]
B. Researchers report that within a narrow range, the lotus has the remarkable ability to keep its temperature like humans and other warm-blooded animals do.
[ change of meaning ;"narrow range" in improper place ]
C. Researchers report that lotus has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperatures to a narrow range, as humans and other warm-blooded animals can.
[ ability of keeping.... as humans ; incorrect use "ability of" ]
D. Researchers report that lotus has the remarkable ability to keep its temperatures to a narrow range, as do humans and other warm-blooded animals.
[ ability to keep ... as do ; correct use of do and ability to ]
E. As humans and other warm-blooded animals can, researchers report that the lotus has the remarkable ability of keeping its temperature in a narrow range.
[ incorrect use of as ]

D is the right answer

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 16

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 357 [0], given: 414

GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.58
WE: Analyst (Accounting)
Reviews Badge
Like humans and other warm-blooded animals, researchers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2014, 05:20
This is how I solved this 1 in 30 seconds! :-D D Wins!

sivasanjeev wrote:

B. Researchers report that within a narrow range, the lotus has the remarkable ability to keep its temperature like humans and other warm-blooded animals do. Meaning is distorted. Sentence means that only within a given range, the lotus and humans have the ability to keep .....

Cheers!!

JA
If you like my post, let me know. Give me a kudos! :)

Kudos [?]: 357 [0], given: 414

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18069 [1], given: 1991

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Like humans and other warm-blooded animals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2014, 08:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18069 [1], given: 1991

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 22 [1], given: 26

Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.83
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Re: Like humans and other warm-blooded animals [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Dec 2014, 01:18
This post received
KUDOS
>> X = humans and other warm-blooded animals and Y = researchers, are compared. Nonsensical.
B. Researchers report that within a narrow range, the lotus has the remarkable ability to keep its temperature likehumans and other warm-blooded animals do.
>> like is used to compare nouns, not clauses.
>> ...lotus has...ability....as humans......can => parallelism issue. Also, 'of keeping' is wrong here, better is 'to keep' (VAN rule)
>> X, as Y => correct idiom
>> sentence stating researchers, like humans and other warm-blooded animals, can ..... (nonsensical)

Kudos [?]: 22 [1], given: 26

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 98

Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2014, 12:47
souvik101990 wrote:

This questions fundamentally tests 'as' vs 'like' comparison concept.
(A) WRONG because 'researchers' follow 'Like humans and other warm-blooded animals' .
(B) WRONG because 'like' is followed by clause. Also, 'within a narrow range' i snot positioned correctly.
(C) WRONG because 'ability of' is unidiomatic
(D) Correct.
(E) Same comparison error as in (A)

Cheers!
-----------------------------
Please give kudos if you think it is worth it !

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 90

Schools: Krannert '18 (S)

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2014, 19:43
Hello.

In Option D:
Quote:
its temperatures to a narrow range,

or
Quote:
its temperatures in a narrow range,

Please suggest. Rest of the explanations are crystal clear. :)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 90

Manager
Manager
B

Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2014, 10:37
StrikerT wrote:
Hello.

In Option D:
Quote:
its temperatures to a narrow range,

or
Quote:
its temperatures in a narrow range,

Please suggest. Rest of the explanations are crystal clear. :)

Temperatures to a narrow range is correct.. hope it helps .. :)

Cheers!
-----------------------------
Please give kudos if you think it is worth it !

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Kudos [?]: 1262 [3], given: 30

Show Tags

New post 30 Dec 2014, 14:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
"Keep its temperatures in a narrow range" is not necessarily wrong, but "keep . . . to" also works, so that's not a problem. However, notice that all four of the incorrect answers can be eliminated for their use of "ability of." The correct idiom is "ability to."

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Kudos [?]: 1262 [3], given: 30

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Like humans and other warm-blooded animals, researchers [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 17:37
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Re: Like humans and other warm-blooded animals, researchers   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2017, 17:37

Like humans and other warm-blooded animals, researchers

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap