Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8833 [1]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Denied
26 Mar, 2020
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8833 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling McCombs UT Austin MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
McCombs DECISION TRACKER

Updates for the last hour:

• Admitted, 4 minutes ago, from India, GMAT:710, Industry: Investment Banking, heard via: portal_update
  • Denied, 28 minutes ago, from India, GMAT:710 (Q49 V36), GPA: 4, Industry: Computer Software, WE 37, heard via: portal_update

UPDATE YOUR STATUS
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: Calling McCombs UT Austin MBA Applicants: [2020 Intake] Class of 2022 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
For all international applicants it seems that most have been waitlisted or denied or admitted without scholarship. Basically hardly any international student has been admitted with scholarship. The school seems to be overly pessimistic about international applicants making it to class this fall. I for one am not paying full $$ to attend a partially online program in a contracted economy. Good luck to everyone. Choose wisely.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Persis wrote:
For all international applicants it seems that most have been waitlisted or denied or admitted without scholarship. Basically hardly any international student has been admitted with scholarship. The school seems to be overly pessimistic about international applicants making it to class this fall. I for one am not paying full $$ to attend a partially online program in a contracted economy. Good luck to everyone. Choose wisely.

Agreed. Any one knows if McCombs reconsiders for scholarship? It is very disheartening to get accepted w/o any amount because for many internationals such as me, that is a significant consideration and thus a make or break decision.

I guess the fragile economy is a matter of 12-18 months, I am keen to have a good brand but not at such a heavy cost.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
You'll be looking for an internship as soon as you set foot on campus and your full time in that 12-18 month recovery period. For me the whole point of business school is to redefine my career. I don't want to be in a position where I'll have to take the first job that comes my way because of the student debt looming over my head. I know a lot of alumni who have 10-15 year student loans which to me, is ludicrous. Besides students from top schools will tell you that it's worth the money because that's their way of rationalizing it. Whatever helps one sleep better.

Noam Chomsky said that students who acquire large debts putting themselves through school are unlikely to think about changing society. When you trap people in a system of debt they can’t afford the time to think. Tuition fee increases are a “disciplinary technique,” and, by the time students graduate, they are not only loaded with debt, but have also internalized the “disciplinarian culture.” This makes them efficient components of the consumer economy.

I'm not renouncing the corporate world. Just prioritizing my peace of mind.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Send PM
Kudos
Persis wrote:

I could not agree more. Only a handful of internationals got accepted and most of them did not get scholarship. I think they just did that to "look okay" but at the end, their strategy is to be on the safe side and honestly I would not want to join a school who is not willing to risk a bit, but that is just me. On the other side, if there is a recession, I would rather walk out of business school debt free than with a $100,000 loan (despite the name where it is from). In addition to this, I have a feeling that it would be a very homogenous class.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
meme2019 wrote:
Persis wrote:

I could not agree more. Only a handful of internationals got accepted and most of them did not get scholarship. I think they just did that to "look okay" but at the end, their strategy is to be on the safe side and honestly I would not want to join a school who is not willing to risk a bit, but that is just me. On the other side, if there is a recession, I would rather walk out of business school debt free than with a $100,000 loan (despite the name where it is from). In addition to this, I have a feeling that it would be a very homogenous class.

Exactly! There are a lot of people who got scholarship in round 1 so they'll be coming to class. But round 2 usually has the highest number of applicants so you're on point about the homogeneity.
And I completely mirror your sentiment about feeling uncomfortable going to a school where I feel no one's batting for me.
I've decided to not accept my offer but Congratulations in case you do! The school and Austin are pretty great and will take you where you want to go.
I'm happy to chat in case you need a sounding board. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
The biggest reason if I think deeply, is not the money. Money comes and money goes. I really second guessed myself all of last year. There are a lot of people who told me that the schools I applied to will be impossible to get into given my creds, let alone a scholarship. And then there are those who supported me and believed in me. From my partner, to the countless alumni, students and admissions staff. Ultimately, I want to surround myself with people who believe in me when I doubt myself. And business school is hard. There will be sweat and there will be tears. Through it all, I want to in an ecosystem that believes in me.

Denied
25 Mar, 2020
28 Mar 2020, 01:14
blowice27 GPA: 4; India; via Email
Didn't even get invited to interview at 740. Oh well [#permalink]
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1425 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ouch :( good stats...pretty sure there are problems in your application.

Quote:
Didn't even get invited to interview at 740. Oh well
Denied on: 2020/03/25
GPA: 4
Heard back via: Email

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 2.86
Send PM
meme2019 wrote:
Those of you who were accepted, what are the average scholarship %?

10%.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.02
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys, hearty congrats to all round 2 admits!

Is there a separate thread or https://gmatclub.com/chat group for international admits (particularly from India)? I ask because of the current air of uncertainty surrounding visa applications, and it would be fruitful for us to share vital information with each other.

MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
rrahul92 wrote:
Hey guys, hearty congrats to all round 2 admits!

Is there a separate thread or https://gmatclub.com/chat group for international admits (particularly from India)? I ask because of the current air of uncertainty surrounding visa applications, and it would be fruitful for us to share vital information with each other.

rrahul92

This topic https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all- ... 12683.html

or

This group https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all- ... l#p2482162
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [0]
Given Kudos: 1283
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
Send PM
I just declined McCombs' waitlist offer. Congratulations to everyone who got in and good luck in your future endeavors.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
GPA: 3.09
Send PM
Kudos
I, on the other hand, have accepted their offer! I am officially a member of the McCombs Class of 2022. Super excited to meet my new classmates and for whatever the next two years brings! Hook 'em Horns!
Admitted
26 Mar, 2020
10 Apr 2020, 16:43
Private, GRE: 326, Q159, V167; United States, WA; via Portal_update
+50 K fellowship [#permalink]
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
psm9004 wrote:
+50 K fellowship
Admitted on: 2020/03/26
GRE: 326, Q159, V167
Heard back via: Portal_update

Congratulations psm9004

I see you have a lot of admissions. Did you decide where you want to go?
Admitted
24 Mar, 2020
13 Apr 2020, 13:22
Private, GMAT: 700, Q43, V42; GPA: 3.84; WE: 85 months; United States; via Phone
Appealed for scholarship and received a small amount. [#permalink]
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts