It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 11:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Part Time Profile Eval

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 50

Schools: Booth PT '20
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.2
Part Time Profile Eval [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 08:59
Hello,

I'm considering a part time MBA. Here's my background:

Work experience: 2.5 years as a Business Analyst. I spent some time at a fintech startup and now I work at a top 20 health insurance company. Will have 3 years by the time I apply.
Female and Indian
GMAT: 660.
GPA: 3.18/ 4. I did have an academic probation. I got accepted into a direct Physical Therapy grad program (top 35) out of high school. Over time, it was something that I was not motivated in and I was also dealing with personal issues (death in family). This led to my poor grades. I believe I only got 3 C's and D's for my grad classes. The rest 10 grad classes I took were A's and B's.
Volunteer: I am the Director of Community Development at an organization (youngest member). I tutor kids at a tutoring center (I do get paid). At the tutoring center, I have also helped the center director with marketing efforts resulting in 30% increase in enrollments. Lastly, I help out with events at American Lung Association.
Possible Recommendations: Director at my current company, Supervisor at my current company, Director of the volunteer organization, and Booth alum.
Why I want MBA? Since I am a Business Analyst, I would like to use my MBA to transition more into a consulting role either at my current company or elsewhere.
Target Schools: Booth Chicago Business Fellows (this is my top and honestly, I really want to get my MBA from here). I also have part time Kellogg, part time Loyola, part time Carnegie Mellon Tepper, and part time NYU Stern.

I think my biggest concern is the academic probation. How do I go about in addressing that? Since I am doing part time and I fit within the range for Booth's GMAT and GPA, is my profile ok?

I would appreciate any help/advice. Thank you!

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 37

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: Part Time Profile Eval [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 13:13
wolves5 wrote:
Hello,
Hi wolves5 Thanks for your question- let me address below.
I'm considering a part time MBA. Here's my background:

Work experience: 2.5 years as a Business Analyst. I spent some time at a fintech startup and now I work at a top 20 health insurance company. Will have 3 years by the time I apply.
Female and Indian
GMAT: 660.
GPA: 3.18/ 4. I did have an academic probation. I got accepted into a direct Physical Therapy grad program (top 35) out of high school. Over time, it was something that I was not motivated in and I was also dealing with personal issues (death in family). This led to my poor grades. I believe I only got 3 C's and D's for my grad classes. The rest 10 grad classes I took were A's and B's.
Volunteer: I am the Director of Community Development at an organization (youngest member). I tutor kids at a tutoring center (I do get paid). At the tutoring center, I have also helped the center director with marketing efforts resulting in 30% increase in enrollments. Lastly, I help out with events at American Lung Association.
Possible Recommendations: Director at my current company, Supervisor at my current company, Director of the volunteer organization, and Booth alum.
Why I want MBA? Since I am a Business Analyst, I would like to use my MBA to transition more into a consulting role either at my current company or elsewhere.
Target Schools: Booth Chicago Business Fellows (this is my top and honestly, I really want to get my MBA from here). I also have part time Kellogg, part time Loyola, part time Carnegie Mellon Tepper, and part time NYU Stern.Where are you getting your research that a 660 GMAT for Booth - even part time - is in the average? And then you are looking at coming from the most over-represented pool- India- so I am not comfortable in saying your 660 GMAT is going to be very helpful- especially if you are using it to counter some lower grades. I think you are a little on the young side for an exec program- although you could do part-time but even for that you are on the lower side of work experience. Another idea for you- consider working with a consultant in advance to prepare more fully for FT MBA programs in a future year- you can work on making sure your leadership and extracurriculars are strong and you can also study longer for the GMAT. I think as a candidate from India, you are going to have better results overall if you can get your GMAT to at least 700. Certainly if you want to proceed with part-time some schools you mention that is an option also- but I think the prior approach may give you the best long term results. For a free consult to learn about our Early Advantage program, go to his link:
https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

I think my biggest concern is the academic probation. How do I go about in addressing that? Since I am doing part time and I fit within the range for Booth's GMAT and GPA, is my profile ok?The best way to address low grades is in optional essay where you don't make excuses but you just give context for what things were also going on at that time... death in family etc- and the other thing you can do is take classes in financial accounting, statistics, calculus and microeconomics and get "A's" in those classes and show admissions that you are now capable of doing well in those quant subjects most scrutinized by MBA admissions. Best wishes to you!

I would appreciate any help/advice. Thank you!

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 37

Intern
Intern
B

Schools: Booth PT '20
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.2
Re: Part Time Profile Eval [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2017, 22:33
Hi,

Thank you for getting back to me. I'm not applying for any executive MBA programs. I'm interested in Booth CBF program which is designed for people with 0-3 years of experience. Their GMAT range is 610-730 and their average is a 680. I fit the range, but am 20 points shy of the average. I don't know if that is a big deal or not.

I am also not from India. I'm from America, my race is Indian.

Re: Part Time Profile Eval   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2017, 22:33

Part Time Profile Eval

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap