Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1472 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Re: Past Perfect vs Past Perfect Continuous [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi pulkitaggi, of course present perfect + past perfect can be used together.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34
Send PM
Hi EducationAisle

Why I asked this question was because I came across a Question from Veritas, in which they used past perfect and present perfect together in an option and removed the option because of the use of 2 tenses together. I removed the sentence because of some other error. Can you check?
Question ( to avoid repeating a question- I am just copying the question stem)
The rare bird, considered extinct for over fifty years and actually thriving in a remote part of the Andes, has made a remarkable comeback over the past decade. ( problem in option B- though I removed that option because of the use IT- but in my opinion past perfect was used completely fine.)

Thank you in advance
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
There are official questions in which these two tenses have been used together.

Since I am not aware of this question in entirety, am unable to comment on this; however, it's always a good idea to focus on official questions only, for your preparation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 4.0
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Hi EducationAisle , I recently came across these two sentences (correct sentence is the 2nd one) from an Egmat webinar:

(1) Until a strict schedule was imposed, kids had been allowed to watch television for hours at a stretch.

(2) Until a strict schedule was imposed, kids were allowed to watch television for hours at a stretch.

In the first sentence, 'had been' indicates that the action 'kids had been allowed to watch television' was completed by a specific time in the past (it was completed before the strict schedule was imposed.

Since there are two events, and the event of imposing a strict schedule is the later event, I am not sure why 'had been' is incorrect here.

Can you please help

Posted from my mobile device
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Prajjwal226 wrote:
Hi EducationAisle , I recently came across these two sentences (correct sentence is the 2nd one) from an Egmat webinar:

(1) Until a strict schedule was imposed, kids had been allowed to watch television for hours at a stretch.

(2) Until a strict schedule was imposed, kids were allowed to watch television for hours at a stretch.

In the first sentence, 'had been' indicates that the action 'kids had been allowed to watch television' was completed by a specific time in the past (it was completed before the strict schedule was imposed.

Since there are two events, and the event of imposing a strict schedule is the later event, I am not sure why 'had been' is incorrect here.

Can you please help

Actually I would be curious to know as well. What explanation does eGMAT provide, on this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 4.0
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
EducationAisle wrote:
Prajjwal226 wrote:
Hi , I recently came across these two sentences (correct sentence is the 2nd one) from an Egmat webinar:

Can you please help

Actually I would be curious to know as well. What explanation does eGMAT provide, on this?

The instructor said that it's not correct to use 'had been' in this sentence because it indicates that the kids were already not allowed to watch television for long hours when the strict schedule was imposed. So it is not logical to say that the authorities imposed a strict schedule if the kids are already not allowed to watch television for long hours.

Another example with the same analogy was provided in the webinar:

(1) Joe asked for a slice from the pizza that Amy had eaten (incorrect)

(2) Joe asked for a slice from the pizza that Amy was eating (correct)

In the example, the usage of 'had been' is clearly incorrect since it indicates that Joe asked for a slice from the pizza that had ALREADY been eaten by Amy.

However, the explanation of why 'had been' is incorrect in the first example is still not clear to me.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
It's not clear to me as well. Generally I would expect instructors to provide official examples, to support their point.

Perhaps other experts can contribute.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts