GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Apr 2019, 15:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Patient: Doctor, I read an article that claimed that the first few hou

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
Patient: Doctor, I read an article that claimed that the first few hou  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2019, 02:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:43) correct 53% (01:32) wrong based on 116 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Patient: Doctor, I read an article that claimed that the first few hours after birth are very important to establishing a mother-infant bond, which is the first step in building a healthy relationship. Can you assure me that my relationship with my baby has not been permanently harmed by our separation for several days after his birth?

Physician: Your relationship with your child has not been harmed by the separation. Mother-infant bonding is not like an “instant glue” that cements your relationship forever. Having your infant with you during the period immediately after birth does give your relationship a head start, but many factors are involved in building a strong and lasting relationship between a mother and her child.

The doctor does which one of the following in her reply to her patient?

(A) She rejects an analogy in an attempt to reduce the patient’s concern.

(B) She cites evidence to show that the patient’s worry is unfounded.

(C) She misinterprets the patient’s explanation of her concern.

(D) She establishes that the article that the patient read was in error.

(E) She names other factors that are more important in creating a mother-infant bond.

B
Re: Patient: Doctor, I read an article that claimed that the first few hou  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2019, 06:02
Archit3110 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Patient: Doctor, I read an article that claimed that the first few hours after birth are very important to establishing a mother-infant bond, which is the first step in building a healthy relationship. Can you assure me that my relationship with my baby has not been permanently harmed by our separation for several days after his birth?

Physician: Your relationship with your child has not been harmed by the separation. Mother-infant bonding is not like an “instant glue” that cements your relationship forever. Having your infant with you during the period immediately after birth does give your relationship a head start, but many factors are involved in building a strong and lasting relationship between a mother and her child.

(E) She names other factors that are more important in creating a mother-infant bond.

IMO A She rejects an analogy in an attempt to reduce the patient’s concern.

There are no analogies there; in fact, the doctor agrees with the patient, or, to be correct, with the article (Having your infant with you during the period immediately after birth does give your relationship a head start).

I think the answer is B, since she cites that there are other factors which influence the relationships between a mother and her child, which is evidence against the patient's worry.
Intern
Intern
B
GPA: 3
Re: Patient: Doctor, I read an article that claimed that the first few hou  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2019, 12:27
I think its E because the doctor says "but many factors are involved in building a strong and lasting relationship between a mother and her child"

A is wrong because doctor agrees and says that there is a head start

B is wrong because there is no evidence stated, i think it's too strong a word

C - there is no misinterpretation...inface the doctor agreed with the patient

D is out of scope

Posted from my mobile device

The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense."
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2019, 12:32
B and E are close for the run-up to be correct choices.
In B- it says doctor cites evidence, however, doctor only names factors.
E should be the correct answer.
S
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2019, 06:37
generis VeritasKarishma

Dear experts,
Can you please explain why E is not right and the rationale behind selecting A.

Regards,
Arup
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2019, 07:35
In my opinion, E is incorrect because the physician doesn't name the factors or specify them, she solely states that they exist and evenly contribute to the bond.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 03:54
Bunuel wrote:

Would like to know the source of the question. Not happy with any option.

The gist is that the patient feels that the "immediate after-birth mother-infant bond is very important in building a healthy relation." Perhaps like a necessary condition.
The doctor says that the absence of this bond does not harm the relation. This bond is not sufficient for healthy future relation. It does give a head start but many other factors are involved in a healthy future bond.

So it seems that the doc says that absence of this bond is not necessary and there are other important factors too.

(A) doesn't seem appealing. The analogy it talks about is the "instant glue" one. The doctor introduces and rejects it to reduce patient's concern. But one would think that the analogy should have been given by the patient and she should be the one rejecting it to reduce patient's concern.

No evidence is given by her.

The patient seems to feel that this bond is necessary for future relation and the doctor tries to convince that it is not sufficient for future relation (other factors are involved too). In this way it could be said that the doctor misinterprets the patient's explanation of her concern.

She does not "establish" that the article was erroneous. She takes a tangent explanation to alleviate the patient's concerns.

She does not say "more important". She just says that many factors are involved.

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Senior SC Moderator
V
Patient: Doctor, I read an article that claimed that the first few hou  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 09:12
Bunuel wrote:

Quote:
Looks very good. The doctor rejects an "instant glue" analogy. She does so because the patient expresses concern.
-- A person can both make an analogy and then reject that analogy.
Such rejection does not have to be in response to the other person's having brought up the analogy.
-- In fact, one common way to make an argument is to analogize the situation at issue to something else that is often stark or dramatic and then to point out that the analogy does not hold.

Quote:

The doctor cites no scientific evidence when she responds to the patient's worry.
No studies. No other articles. She offers her opinion.
She asserts that no harm has been done, which she supports
by rejecting the instant glue analogy and by asserting/opining that other factors over time ("building") are important.
ELIMINATE.

Quote:

Absurd. Not one word suggests that the doctor misinterprets the patient's concern. ELIMINATE.

Quote:

Too specific and too strong, though possibly a keeper.
We know only one detail of the article.
-- the doctor addresses the detail. She makes assertions about the detail, but contrary assertions do not "establish" error.
They suggest error.
Cast doubt on the article's accuracy? Sure.
Establish that the article was in error? No. Too strong.

KEEP, but doubtful.

Quote:

Inaccurate. "Names" is specific; the doctor is not specific.

selale caught and articulated the distinction well in THIS POST, here. +1
(Belated welcome to GMAT Club, selale . :) )

This option is incorrect because it uses the fatal phrase "names the other factors."
The doctor mentions that there ARE other factors involved in building the mother-child relationship.

The phrase "more important" is troublesome, too.

Name means to specify.
The doctor mentions but does not specify "other factors."

She does not name a single factor or the general KIND of even one those many factors.

Nor does she say clearly that the factors are MORE important.
-- We could argue that the doctor implies that those factors are more important than this single factor.

But her failure to name even one factor, let alone plural factorS, makes this option wrong.
ELIMINATE

ArupRS , option (E) must look tempting (it's the second favorite choice),
but it is not accurate. :)
The verb "name" and the verb phrase "mention generally" are not synonymous.

What option E describes is not the same as what the doctor does.

By contrast in (A), an analogy is exactly what the doctor uses when she says,
"Mother-infant bonding is not like an 'instant glue' that cements your relationship forever."

Which is the better of the two answers, A or D?

• Option (A) is better than (D)
-- Option (A) correctly characterizes a specific detail (rejects the "instant glue" analogy) in the correct context (the mother's concern).

-- In (D), the phrase "establishes that the article was in error" is too strong. The doctor's contrary assertions suggest but do not establish error. (D) is not as accurate as (A).

This question is pretty straightforward.

From current stats, many people believe that mentioning a category of items (other factors)
is equivalent to naming the items in that category. Those two actions are quite different.

In CR, keep your eye on every word -- in this case, verbs. :)

Hope that analysis helps.

Answer A is correct.

For practice SC questions with official explanations that were posted and moderated by the SC Team,
go to SC Butler here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/project-sc-butler-get-2-sc-questions-everyday-281043.html
Senior SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2019, 09:32
Render wrote:

There are no analogies there; in fact, the doctor agrees with the patient, or, to be correct, with the article (Having your infant with you during the period immediately after birth does give your relationship a head start).

I think the answer is B, since she cites that there are other factors which influence the relationships between a mother and her child, which is evidence against the patient's worry.

Render - first, welcome to GMAT Club!

Second, there is an analogy, but maybe the words "instant glue" were not clear.

The doctor does not agree with the article.
-- Doctor: Your relationship [despite your not having instant contact with your baby after birth] has not been harmed.

ANALOGY: "Immediate bonding after birth" is not similar to "instant glue" in which one thing is sealed to another immediately, very strongly, and perhaps permanently by that instant glue.

-- With respect to answer B, please see my post HERE.
Offering an opinion is not the same as citing evidence.
Further, a "head start" simply means that the bonding starts earlier in time.
-- Suppose that two people are not racing against one another but both runners want to finish a 10K "race."
Person A starts at the gun.
Person B shows up 5 minutes late.
Person A has a head start on B — but B can still run the face and finish in the time it would have taken him anyway.
-- The implication of "head start" can mean "better in the long run," but given all the other things that the doctor says, in this context it means simply "started earlier, but that does not matter because building requires an ongoing process
that can be initiated immediately after or a few days after birth."

I can see why (B) is tempting, but in this question the authors have done what GMAC does:
present tempting alternatives that upon reflection, do not really fit or do not fit nearly as well as (A). :)

For practice SC questions with official explanations that were posted and moderated by the SC Team,
go to SC Butler here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/project-sc-butler-get-2-sc-questions-everyday-281043.html
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2019, 06:06
generis wrote:
Render wrote:

-- Doctor: Your relationship [despite your not having instant contact with your baby after birth] has not been harmed.

ANALOGY: "Immediate bonding after birth" is not similar to "instant glue" in which one thing is sealed to another immediately, very strongly, and perhaps permanently by that instant glue.

-- Suppose that two people are not racing against one another but both runners want to finish a 10K "race."
Person A has a head start on B — but B can still run the face and finish in the time it would have taken him anyway.
-- The implication of "head start" can mean "better in the long run," but given all the other things that the doctor says, in this context it means simply "started earlier, but that does not matter because building requires an ongoing process

I can see why (B) is tempting, but in this question the authors have done what GMAC does:
present tempting alternatives that upon reflection, do not really fit or do not fit nearly as well as (A). :)

"Instant glue" seems like a new concept or maybe i am not familiar with it. Could you please throw some more light on it?
VeritasKarishma generis Render

Thanks!
V

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2019, 07:16
neha283 wrote:
generis wrote:
Render wrote:

"Instant glue" seems like a new concept or maybe i am not familiar with it. Could you please throw some more light on it?
VeritasKarishma generis Render

Thanks!

neha283 , "instant glue" is in quotation marks to indicate that it is a special kind of glue.

Even if you don't know that the phrase refers to glue that in English is called "super glue" or "crazy glue," the phrase "instant glue" is descriptive: glue that forms an immediate and probably unbreakable bond.

The doctor is saying that a mother's holding a baby immediately after birth is a nice thing, but the action is not ritualistic "instant glue" in which the bond between mother and child is instantly (and stickily) established.

Google "instant glue" "super glue" "gorilla glue" and "crazy glue." They are fast-acting glues that make things stick together for a long time.

HERE is an entry with a short video in which a thin rubber tube is instant-glued to a heavy bowling ball (probably 10 lbs or 4.5 kg). The glue dries quickly. The presenter picks up the heavy ball with the little tube.

Hope that helps.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2019, 05:23
Hi generis
I thought instant glue was some new jargon for a concept in reference to GMAT. I am aware of usual glue though. Thank you!
S
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2019, 07:47
generis wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Quote:
Looks very good. The doctor rejects an "instant glue" analogy. She does so because the patient expresses concern.
-- A person can both make an analogy and then reject that analogy.
Such rejection does not have to be in response to the other person's having brought up the analogy.
-- In fact, one common way to make an argument is to analogize the situation at issue to something else that is often stark or dramatic and then to point out that the analogy does not hold.

Quote:

The doctor cites no evidence in responding to the patient's worry.
No studies. No other articles. She offers her opinion.
She asserts that no harm has been done, which she supports
by rejecting the instant glue analogy and by asserting/opining that other factors over time ("building') are important.
ELIMINATE.

Quote:

Absurd. Not one word suggests that the doctor misinterprets the patient's concern. ELIMINATE.

Quote:

Too specific and too strong, though possibly a keeper.
We know only one detail of the article.
-- the doctor addresses the detail. She makes assertions about the detail, but contrary assertions do not "establish" error.
They suggest error.
Cast doubt on the article's accuracy? Sure.
Establish that the article was in error? No. Too strong.

KEEP, but doubtful.

Quote:

Inaccurate. "Names" is specific; the doctor is not specific.

selale caught and articulated the distinction well in THIS POST, here. +1
(Belated welcome to GMAT Club, selale . :) )

This option is incorrect because it uses the fatal phrase "names the other factors."
The doctor mentions that there ARE other factors involved in building the mother-child relationship.

The phrase "more important" is troublesome, too.

Name means to specify.
The doctor mentions but does not specify "other factors."

She does not name a single factor or the general KIND of even one those many factors.

Nor does she say clearly that the factors are MORE important.
-- We could argue that the doctor implies that those factors are more important than this single factor.

But her failure to name even one of those factors, let alone plural factorS, makes this option wrong.
ELIMINATE

ArupRS , option (E) must look tempting (it's the second favorite choice),
but it is not accurate. :)
The verb "name" and the verb phease "mention generally" are not synonymous.

What option E describes is not the same as what the doctor does.

By contrast in (A), an analogy is exactly what the doctor uses when she says,
"Mother-infant bonding is not like an 'instant glue' that cements your relationship forever."

Which is the better of the two answers, A or D?

• Option (A) is better than (D)
-- Option (A) correctly characterizes a specific detail (rejects the "instant glue" analogy) in the correct context (the mother's concern).

-- In (D), the phrase "establishes that the article was in error" is too strong. The doctor's contrary assertions suggest but do not establish error. (D) is not as accurate as (A).

This question is pretty straightforward.

From current stats, many people believe that mentioning a category of items (other factors)
is equivalent to naming the items in that category. Those two actions are quite different.

In CR, keep your eye on every week in this case, verbs. :)

Hope that analysis helps.

Answer A is correct.

Nice explanation generis.

Regards,
Arup
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Patient: Doctor, I read an article that claimed that the first few hou   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2019, 07:47

Patient: Doctor, I read an article that claimed that the first few hou

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap