GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Jun 2018, 14:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Please evaluate my profile as an MBA applicant to Ivey [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2016, 22:39
Hi All,

Please evaluate my profile as an international applicant for the MBA program at Ivey:

Nationality: Indian
Undergraduate Qualification: Bachelor in Commerce(3 year course with a GPA of 3.4)
Masters Qualification: Masters in Global Business (16 month program in Singapore and Dubai. Unfortunately, my GPA here is extremely low: 2.5 though I took a number of challenging courses)
GMAT: 730
Work experience: 3.5 years, all of it in market research. Of the 3.5 years, 2.5 years were in the Middle East and a year in India
Extracurriculars: Moderate: represented my state in tennis, wrote for a sports website for a year etc. Have also done community service for 3 months where I taught English and Maths to 10 year old children
References: Will be able to get some strong references from people in senior management at both my work places so far

Do you think I stand a realistic chance and it's worth applying?

Thanks in advance!

Varun
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Ivey '18 (I)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge
Re: Please evaluate my profile as an MBA applicant to Ivey [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2016, 05:22
Hello !
You seem to have a strong profile with your low score in masters compensated by your GMAT.
I suggest you follow the "Resume Assessment" on their website and schedule a call with Ivey.
However, no matter your profile (which looks strong in this case), be ready to say why you want to do an MBA in terms of what you want to achieve with it (there is no right answer here, you dont need to change the world with an MBA), and why you want to go to Ivey.
Once you do this, try to attend as many events as you can, in person or online, get the recruitment managers to know you.
Then carefully craft your applications with the experience you had during those events and what you heard from Ivey Alumnis.

I think that these fine details will be more important than the content of your resume itself, and will make you stand out as a person and applicant.

Best of luck !
Intern
Intern
Re: Please evaluate my profile as an MBA applicant to Ivey [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2016, 02:43
gnrocks wrote:
Hello !
You seem to have a strong profile with your low score in masters compensated by your GMAT.
I suggest you follow the "Resume Assessment" on their website and schedule a call with Ivey.
However, no matter your profile (which looks strong in this case), be ready to say why you want to do an MBA in terms of what you want to achieve with it (there is no right answer here, you dont need to change the world with an MBA), and why you want to go to Ivey.
Once you do this, try to attend as many events as you can, in person or online, get the recruitment managers to know you.
Then carefully craft your applications with the experience you had during those events and what you heard from Ivey Alumnis.

I think that these fine details will be more important than the content of your resume itself, and will make you stand out as a person and applicant.

Best of luck !

Thank you very much! I did do the Resume Assessment and was encouraged to apply
Current Student
B
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Evaluation Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 10 Apr 2017, 05:39

Originally posted by ron92 on 14 Dec 2016, 01:44.
Last edited by Narenn on 10 Apr 2017, 05:39, edited 2 times in total.
Stickied
Current Student
Schools: Ivey '18 (A)
Re: PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Evaluation Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 03:02
I don't think that you should apply for this year. You are still young, why not wait for the next year or after.

My personal opinion:
- Your education and GMAT are both good but Ivey doesn't focus too much on GMAT.
- Ivey focuses on output, meaning that you should get a job out of school. Your experience shows that you are a job hopper. Ivey is different from other schools that recruitment officers will interview you from the beginning. It could be a question in landing a job after Ivey.
- Most of current class has 5 years experience or more. Your three year experience could be a little short.
Current Student
B
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Re: PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Evaluation Requests Here! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 03:50
Shineton wrote:
I don't think that you should apply for this year. You are still young, why not wait for the next year or after.

My personal opinion:
- Your education and GMAT are both good but Ivey doesn't focus too much on GMAT.
- Ivey focuses on output, meaning that you should get a job out of school. Your experience shows that you are a job hopper. Ivey is different from other schools that recruitment officers will interview you from the beginning. It could be a question in landing a job after Ivey.
- Most of current class has 5 years experience or more. Your three year experience could be a little short.

Hi Shineton

Thanks for your input.

As far as I know, the average work experience in Ivey is 4.8 years, meaning 50% of the people have work experience below 4.8 years.

Also, as far as changing jobs is concerned- during initial 3 years of my work experience, I had to opt out of my first company to help my family business but soon was called back by my partner and joined back at Axis. So I don't think that I have hopped jobs :P and presently I am helping my brother in to restructure his start up where I have no aspirations to continue once the start up gets the desired market presence.

Plus I am keen on starting with my MBA next year as I have defined goals and need a platform like MBA to work towards them.
Current Student
Schools: Ivey '18 (A)

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 05:59
Just my opinion. Maybe I am wrong or I dont remember much the class profiles. Please go ahead since you understand yourself better.

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.08

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2016, 18:08
I think your profile is good. You can ask Ivey to preview your profile via their website too. Why not try?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 21:02
Dear All,

I am planning to apply to Ivey for MBA Program. Please evaluate my profile and let me know my suitability for the Program. My profile details are below:

 Total Work experience - 6.5 years in consulting field.
 Currently, working as Senior Consultant/ Assistant Manager with PwC in its sustainability team.
 Female, Age 31 years
 Volunteer for UN, working for empowerment for women in Uganda
 Work Experience in 25/29 States in India and 3 countries - India, Bhutan and Bangladesh
 GRE Score - 314 (164 Quant and 150 Verbal)
 2 Publications in International Journal
 Education: Master of Technology in Environmental Science and Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay, India
 CGPA - 4.27/5
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2017, 01:26
Nationality- Indian
Gender- Male
Xth- 67.7%
XIIth - 65%
Undergrad- B.E. in Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering with 54.4%
TOEFL- Yet to take
GMAT- 750 ( Q-50, V-41, AWA-4.5, IR-5)

Work Exp :
1. Have worked for 9 years in Telecom Industry and am currently VAS Manager for Airtel India Operations. Have previously worked with Nokia, Mahindra Comviva. Also have worked in UK for 6 months.
- Have received awards for my work at Airtel and previous organisations
- I have done in house courses in Airtel for Leadership,Security as well as technology

Volunteer Experience :
1. Involved in education of economically deprived kids, conducting fundraisers with an NGO "SOCH"
2. During flood disaster in MP in 2016 I was part of the team that setup communications to emergency and disaster helplines for people affected by the natural calamity
3. Sarva Seva Sankalp Samiti – NGO from Burhanpur for Deaddiction centers, Vaccination Drives, Reforestation, Awareness
programs for Crimes against women.Participated in workshops near Indore and Burhanpur for Vaccination drives, Awareness Camps and planting of saplings for green drive.
4.Mentored students at GS Institute of Management for development of soft skills

Extra Curricular:
1. Head of student placement committee and President of club "Peregrination" in College
2. Designed college website for "Peregrination"
3.Paper Presentation on Neural Networks and Fuzzy Logic at national level at Concours 2006 at KIT, Andhra Pradesh
4.Presented Paper on Mobile and Wireless Communication in Techvinox 2005.
5.Paper Presentation on MRI Scan Application of Fuzzy Logic in PIONEER 2K5 at College of Engineering ,Kolhapur
6.Second prize in "Wrocketry" organized at KIT Andhra Pradesh
7.Won HTML web page competition in School level competition

Please evaluate.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.32
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2017, 12:10
Here is a quick overview of my profile.

[*]--> Canadian (black), underrepresented minority
[*]--> 29 years old
[*]--> Bachelors in Public Administration from a Canadian university (3.2 GPA)
[*]--> 6 years work experience --> sales, policy analyst with federal and provincial levels of government. Currently working for major Canadian bank
[*]--> Extra-curricular --> Volunteer at community radio station at my old university. I help conceptualize and develop radio content. Super fun! Lots of work! I am also co-founder of a small NGO, a statistical project for innovation, research and empowerment in Africa. MBA will provide tools to get project off the ground running.
[*]--> GMAT --> wrote in March 2017. Bombed with a 350. Been prepping like a maniac since then. Looking to break 600. Will re-write in November 2017
[*]--> Post MBA - use existing expertise in policy formation and analysis to build a career in business-government relations. An MBA will bridge the gap between my background and where I want to go.

What do you think of the profile?
Re: PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Evaluation Requests Here!   [#permalink] 12 Sep 2017, 12:10

PROFILE EVALUATION THREAD - Post all Profile Evaluation Requests Here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap