Last visit was: 09 Jun 2024, 23:06 It is currently 09 Jun 2024, 23:06
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Please evaluate & suggest-GMAT 2nd attempt : 650 (need 3rd attempt?) [#permalink]
Thanks a lot VeritasPrepDozie!
Yes I am debating over whether to take the test within next one month ( hoping to atleast raise score in verbal) and then manage my application essays in next one month. You are right, little higher score will increase the chances.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks a lot Scott for your input.
I did my undergraduate in India ( Japyee Institute of Information Technology). I had to quit my work with the Non-profit in India once I came to US for Master's studies.
Currently, I am actively involved in publishing peer review journals and two non-profit organizations - one for Autistic children ( provides training and support to autistic children) and other for Habitat for Humanity ( provides affordable quality homes for families in Maryland).
I understand my score is below the mean score for MSB, but there is a time crunch in accommodating both test and application in next two months.
I am not sure whether I should take my chances with 650 score, as an Indian female with work and education experience in US or take 3rd test with a hope to add more weight in application.
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Re: Please evaluate & suggest-GMAT 2nd attempt : 650 (need 3rd attempt?) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Your extra-curricular work here is good, and depending on how it ties with your overall story, you could give it a shot with your current GMAT score. That said, if you think you can add 30-40 points, you would be better off delaying your app until the next round if need be. How confident are you that you can raise your score?

I am working with folks who are retaking GMAT while applying round one, so it is possible although as you say it's a crunch, depending on your schedule and how much free time you have.

Are you considering other schools as well? Most folks apply to a number of schools. If you did that, you could try for some round one and the others round two.

I like your profile though and if you play your cards right and pick some other schools to round out your applications, you would be in good shape assuming your app is strong enough.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Send PM
apar01 wrote:
Hello experts,

I am working as a Informatics analyst with a total work experience of 6 years ( 4 years of work plus 2 years of MS in Bioinformatics). I recently made my second attempt in GMAT after 2 months of preparation ( scored very low in first attempt). My target school is Georgetown - McDonough . I am not sure whether I should go ahead with GMAT score of 650 or go for third attempt? It will be great if you can evaluate my profile and suggest.

<<snip>>

I am aiming for the first round of applications for next fall and if higher score is required then I need to get started with GMAT preparation again. Any input would be great! Thanks

Apar01,

Adding my 2 cents of diversity opinion:
  1. The actual years of experience for you would be 4 years. Part-time work will get your some mileage but will not be considered in your total years of experience. When you say 'informatics', is that bioinformatics? How about the brand of your current organization? Ditto for your MS school - how good/well known is that brand?
  2. Exactly because you are targeting Analytics, it is critical to try and bump up that score. Of course, if you think the score is close to what you can really score, then no point in a re-take. But if not, it is certainly worth a shot. Even if that means going in R2! Yes, R1 has an edge but NEVER at the cost of a sub-optimal application. So don't cut corners just to rush in your application.
  3. Finally, why only one school? Unless there are personal reasons guiding that choice, it is never recommended to put all the proverbial eggs in one basket. I would certainly add a few more in the mix - quite a few such as Kelley/Tepper that have built a good reputation for Analytics.

Hope this sparks some more thoughts.

Cheers,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks again Scott for your suggestions!
I am mostly leaning on taking GMAT again by next month end, hoping to bump up the score by atleast few points (eyeing more on verbal now and will try to maintain the quant score). I will consider other B-schools as well, based on my GMAT score.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks a lot Manish for your recommendations.
You pointed it right, even I was not confident about showing part time experience as full 2 years, I will rather use it as an additional point. My major was in Bioinformatics and I did my Master's from Indiana University of Bloomington ( Kelly is it's B-school). I am currently working at University of Maryland, School of Medicine.
As you and Scott recommended, I will definitely apply in other Univ too inorder to increase chances, but McDonough is my target University.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Send PM
apar01 wrote:

Thanks a lot Manish for your recommendations.
You pointed it right, even I was not confident about showing part time experience as full 2 years, I will rather use it as an additional point. My major was in Bioinformatics and I did my Master's from Indiana University of Bloomington ( Kelly is it's B-school). I am currently working at University of Maryland, School of Medicine.
As you and Scott recommended, I will definitely apply in other Univ too inorder to increase chances, but McDonough is my target University.

Sounds like the right strategy here. You have good academic pedigree and with a better score, some more aggressive schools may be within reach too.

Go for it!
GMAT Club Bot